[ MOD ] Grave's Mega Mod ** UPDATED TO v2.0 **

ggalindo001 said:
1. Horses. Along with Iron, probably the most critical resource to have because of the timing, etc. I struggled with this, having thought about what you said (having to have horses to build the center), but I thought of what happened historically. Most of Eurasia had horses, most of America, Africa and Australiasia did not. If you recall, the native americans, once horses were introduced, did not just become great horsemen, but also great natural breeders of the animals in North America. Where horses were impractical primarily due to terrain (South America for example), they did not flourish.
The historical fix would be to limit the use of horses to just plains and grasslands (ie., no jungle, very little forest usage, obviously no mountains). That would become a very difficult fix.
The next historical fix would be to allow the "breeding of horses". Once known, a civilization could start with a few and within a period of time, have a normal cadre of the animals. I thought about what brought this about historically, and it was the establishment of trade on the oceans; hence the delayed (much delayed) technological need before you can strategically beat the resource need.
I also thought about the concept of "once you have horses, you always have horses".....but I thought that could become difficult programatically and it also didn't account for the fact that some effort would be required to actually breed and maintain the animals without a natural source
5. I like your idea of raising little piggies, etc. Keep in mind, these three wonders are just that, expensive and strategic. But I could also see building the synthetic refinery in wartime so that your oil could not be pillaged. I thought of that strategically in my game but didn't go forward as I needed miliary units badly :)

actually, the more I think about it the more I think Biological Resources should NOT be able to be "produced" in a city. now if someone could write a code that allowed you to plant one and one only resource somewhere appropriate in your territory, THAT would be awesome.

I agree that geographical features should affect cavalry more.
I think mounted troops' combat should be lowered, and given a hefty bonus when fighting in grassland/plain tiles.

I also thought about this (which I think is the best idea). If you defeat a horseman in combat, you can automatically build one (or possibly multiple) unit with the resource. (I've also thought about this with War Elephants, Pikemen, Grenediers, etc.) This would lend a whole new way to deal with the tech tree.

well. I guess this would make sense if considered as part of the Unit Allegiance mod... but only if unit allegiance happens. if two armies are going to fight to the death, I doubt the horses/elephants are going to survive :( but the idea makes sense, I like it. and it makes me think of catapults. man, the way they are now in the game is so lame. used as suicide first-attackers :( IMHO catapults should never be able to sustain direct combat: allow them to bombard units and improvements/cities alike, and make them get captured just like workers if they have no troops to protect them. then they would be realistic and still useful against SoD.

actually, there would be another way around SoD that involves something better than collateral damage. not being able to place infinite amounts of armies on the very same tile. it's as easy as that ;)

One of the things I struggle with is this notion that I cannot figure out flight even though I see planes buzzing all around me without fully researching flight. I think that at some point in the game, having contact with a country that has a technology and seeing it (either in combat or otherwise), grants you an automatic 25-50% research boost for that technology.

I don't think so... science isn't so easy, you know ;)

2. Regarding Eirik Raude and the my refinery, my issue with Eirik is that it is a 2005 type of wonder, when synthetic oils have been available since the 1920's and 1930's. Again, this helps to strategically balance the game, still multiple techs from combustion, but at least not as far along the tech tree as Raude (which is at the end of the tree).
I see your point. so this is another welcome addition I guess ;)

3. The changes I made with Iron was mostly around Pikemen, Spearmen, Cross/Longbowmen etc. only needing a hard substance and not necessarily Iron. Swordsmen and the naval ships still require Iron.

why swordsman? they are actually the same as other melee fighters!
I agree about ships though, bronze is not viable in that way... too expensive, and other drawbacks I still don't know I guess :D

4. Regarding railroad, I am thinking that without coal as a resource, you could think about how to build rail using Oil. Again, combustion comes much later in the tech tree than Railroad, so you are strategically penalized for not having coal.

I guess this is true too. they should need iron/steel and coal/oil.

Edit: I used the word "guess" way too many times, I guess. :p sorry about that :D

hey Grave, I've just discovered another bug with your mod. there is no scout unit. it just won't unlock with hunting. it's not even in the game anymore. I don't know what's wrong here, even tryed messing around with the XML files a bit, no effect.

edit: btw, concerning National Wonders, I've just been struck by a thought. The Palace is a national wonder, and you can always build it as soon as you have enough cities: it will just change the city it's in. this means there MUST be a bit of code which allows it to do that. now if someone did apply that same code to all national wonders... you could transfer your ironworks to a new city more fitting than the precedent for example. I think people would be very happy with a tweak like this :D

Great work! Here is a little tidbit, cause this is an area of expertise on my part.

An AEGIS cruiser would require computers, and not require nuclear power. Also, it would be more accurate to need whatever you need for missiles (Rocketry?) rather than robotics. Hope this helps.

J.

I installed this mod as per the instructions and found only 1 bug or what I think to be a bug. I am playing as the Americans and every city I have founded after Washington, D.C. starts with the following as it's name (mind you, I do change them):
TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHILIDELPHIA

What is the cause of this and what can I do to fix it?

Also, would it be possible to merge the 'training barracks' mod and the 'exotic foreign adviser' mods with this?

[to_xp]Gekko said:
hey Grave, I've just discovered another bug with your mod. there is no scout unit. it just won't unlock with hunting. it's not even in the game anymore. I don't know what's wrong here, even tryed messing around with the XML files a bit, no effect.

I thought I may of posted this somewhere.... I kinda moved the PreReqTech for a Scout to Compass. I just hated it when I'm playing on Earth, and the Mongols are using their scout and exploring all over Europe by the time 2300BC rolls around. I removed the Scout because it would make finding new civs take longer, and kinda draw the diplomatic stuff out a little. I didn't like it when you contact just about all the civs by the time 1000BC rolls around.

jrice77 said:
Great work! Here is a little tidbit, cause this is an area of expertise on my part.

An AEGIS cruiser would require computers, and not require nuclear power. Also, it would be more accurate to need whatever you need for missiles (Rocketry?) rather than robotics. Hope this helps.

J.

AEGIS aren't nuclear powered? I thought they were. I could look into changing the PreReqTech's for the AEGIS when I have some free time.

Martock said:
I installed this mod as per the instructions and found only 1 bug or what I think to be a bug. I am playing as the Americans and every city I have founded after Washington, D.C. starts with the following as it's name (mind you, I do change them):
TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PHILIDELPHIA

What is the cause of this and what can I do to fix it?

Also, would it be possible to merge the 'training barracks' mod and the 'exotic foreign adviser' mods with this?

I could of sworn I fixed this... I guess not! :mad:

All you have to do is go into either the CIV4CivilizationInfos or the CIV4GameTextInfos_Cities and change the 'PHILIDELPHIA' to 'PHILADELPHIA'.

I guess I'll include this in the next update when I have the spare time! :goodjob:

GraveEatr said:
I thought I may of posted this somewhere.... I kinda moved the PreReqTech for a Scout to Compass. I just hated it when I'm playing on Earth, and the Mongols are using their scout and exploring all over Europe by the time 2300BC rolls around. I removed the Scout because it would make finding new civs take longer, and kinda draw the diplomatic stuff out a little. I didn't like it when you contact just about all the civs by the time 1000BC rolls around.

hope you don't mind if I change my XMLs and add back scouts to hunting :p

GraveEatr said:
I could of sworn I fixed this... I guess not! :mad:

All you have to do is go into either the CIV4CivilizationInfos or the CIV4GameTextInfos_Cities and change the 'PHILIDELPHIA' to 'PHILADELPHIA'.

I guess I'll include this in the next update when I have the spare time! :goodjob:

I'll make that change when I get home. I was kinda getting tired of having to erase that long line each time. :lol:

I made the correction and it works like a charm now. One thing I have noticed, and I think it may have already been mentioned, is that the wonder movies no longer play. Also, the inquisitor unit, shows up in my capital list twice. While I can only build 1 at a time, I have two options to do so with. Also, what is the point of the inquisitor? It gives +4 unhappiness but no benefit?

Martock said:
I made the correction and it works like a charm now. One thing I have noticed, and I think it may have already been mentioned, is that the wonder movies no longer play. Also, the inquisitor unit, shows up in my capital list twice. While I can only build 1 at a time, I have two options to do so with. Also, what is the point of the inquisitor? It gives +4 unhappiness but no benefit?

it can eradicate unwanted religions in a city by building ( yes, building ) an "Inquisition" that will do so.

Edit: Grave, I've been adding some cool stuff from other mods in the last few days ( I'd never thought XML was so easy to work with, lol ) . Just let me know if you're interested, I will send it over to you ;)

Hello, there is one little bug in the map and one small suggestion:

bug: Played Chinese and found a Japanese builder next to my starting settler. As there was no other Chinese unit, I think the builder was intended to be Chinese.

suggestion: Trying to play with the Inca, I realized that they have a uniquely bad starting position. It would be somewhat enhanced by replacing some of the mountains by hills to make it possible to cross (and build roads!) the Anden mountain range at one ot two points. As it is now, the Incas can only settle on a thin stripe of land and have to go around the mountain range to settle on the eastern part of south America. The jungle everywhere makes that hard enough, but to defend the new settlements against barabarians is nearly impossible if reinforcements have to travel thousands of kilometers around the mountains.

:)

[edit]: To improve the whole area of the Incas' first settlement, the builder would have to go round the mointains....

wondering if anyone thought to make three starting archery units. Pirmative archer. this use flint and stone tipped arrows. with bronze working add bronze archers which use bronze tipped arrows and with iron working make iron archers these use iron tipped arrows just a thought

GraveEatr said:
What does it say and when does it pop up?

Rebooted and it went away. Strange. It was some kind of Python script running that showed script changes or something.

Would it be possible in the next revision, to revert the graphic for the howizter back to that of the artillery piece? While I think the creator had in mind the mobile artillery pieces of today, it looks rather odd when German Panthers are used instead. Especially when you have a German Panther facing off your howizters.

Hi, I think your mod is great! I have a problem with the fish market though, and am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. When I built the Tsukuji Fish Market my game locked up. I went back and added it in the world builder and it locked up again immediately. I could just not build it, but the Spanish were on their way to getting it soon anyway, and that would have probably locked it up, too.

Kudo's to you on a great mod! Ive been playing your mod in several games and find it really well balanced, I have no grumblings over anything.

edit: just need to say again this mod is GREAT!

one question, how do those naval mines work?and that healing monk dude? I cant seem to figure them out.

The naval mines, IMHO, don't work they way they should currently. Because they can be seen, the AI actively avoids them. At best, they serve to block off a route. I think if they were made 'invisible', they would be of some better use. I don't think they should be given movememt, but rather they should be deployed from a work boat or a sub or even a destroyer.

As for the healing monk, I believe you just have to have him near wounded units and they will heal much faster. The affect isn't cumulative though, so having 5 healing monks around is no better than having just 1.

Top Bottom