Mod of CEP

EricB

Prince
Hi folks,

I know that no one has been working on this CEP mod for quite a while. This is for any of you who are still playing it. A while back I made my own mod of CEP (a mod mod requiring CEP to work). Recently, I've been updating it and expanding it. It's compatible with the latest version of CEP.

Right now the mod mod is still in a developmental stage. I'm constantly working on it, tweaking it, fixing bugs, adjusting things for balance, etc. There isn't yet a summary guide for all the things that it does, but I do plan on making one eventually once it's stable.

Right now, it does a whole lot of things. It's really customized for the playstyle that I like. I usually play on marathon speed, huge maps. Also included if you want it is a smaller AI mod that I use to make the AI a bit smarter in the choices that they make for what units/buildings to create in their cities.

For a quick summary of the changes included:

Modifies/tweaks just about every civilization in the game. Basically about 80% of them in some way. Some changes are minor. Some are major. Probably the biggest change is to Polynesia, which I absolutely hated the way that they were before.

Major overhaul to the religion system in the game. Religion spreads much, much slower. Many beliefs have been tweaked. Some moved around. Some created. New religious buildings available with reformation beliefs have been added.

Tweaks to the tech tree. 2 new technologies added to the game. Mysticism in the ancient era and Crop Rotation in the medieval era. Medieval era longer. Renaissance era shorter to reflect historical accuracy of the medieval era being really long. Lots of techs have been shifted around with what units/buildings/abilities are enabled changed as well. I have tried to balance it out so there isn't an "ideal" strategy to win. I like every game to be different.

Some unit changes, but rather minor there. CEP does a fairly good job with units IMO.

Tourism dynamics tweaked. I lowered the amount of culture in the game. Removed all culture multipliers in the game. Only one that I was unable to mod out was Sistine Chapel. For some reason it wouldn't go. Had to go into the core CIV5 files to fix that one, so if you want to do that to make it work right you'll have to do that one on your own. It's really easy to do. For some reason the exact same code that won't work in a mod works in the core file.

The whole great work system has been changed. Great works of Art and Artifacts have been separated from each other. So there are now: Great Works of Art, Great Works of Music, Great Works of Writing, and Artifacts. Different cultural buildings accept different types.

Artifacts - Museums & some wonders
Writing - Theatres, Universities, & some wonders
Art - Art Galleries (added), Cinemas, & some wonders
Music - Opera Houses, Broadcast Towers, & some wonders

I haven't got a chance to test it yet as this change is very recent.

Some wonders have been modified. For example Pyramids, Hagia Sophia, Statue of Zeus, etc.

Major, major changes to Social Policies. Just about a complete overhaul of Tradition, Liberty, Honor, and Piety. Major changes to Patronage and Asthetics. Minor changes to Wealth and Exploration. no changes to Knowledge. In fact, some of the core CEP effects were things that were copied from my older mod, so fewer changes are needed in the new mod mod. Also many changes to Order, Freedom, and Autocracy.

City states have been really tweaked too to be much harder to purchase and keep on your side. This is still a work in progress as I haven't got into the later eras to see how it plays out yet. Again, it's optimized for huge maps with a lot of players on the map.

Also, some minor changes to some buildings. Tweaking them here and there.

Naval warfare has been altered to make it harder to explore everything with a ship early in the game. Harder to heal outside friendly territory for early ships.

Natural wonders strengthened and balanced.

Harder to purchase everything with gold. You actually have to construct buildings instead of just buying them all. Tried to balance gold. Strengthened villages by adding some gold to them so building all farms isn't an optimal strategy.

Overall, the goal is to make the game more fun and balanced. Nothing should be useless or overpowering. No optimal strategies that always work. I change it all the time, so I'm sure this won't be the final version. Probably the largest changes are to the religion system, the policies, and the early tech tree.

I'm sure that not everyone will like it, but hopefully you like more things than you don't like. The code is commented throughout so it's readable. Modify the things that you want to change to customize it to your liking. Plus, any feedback is appreciated as it's always a work in progress.

BTW, I should mention that I normally play with espionage turned off from the game options settings when creating the game, so that's why you'll find espionage buildings deleted from the game. You can remove that bit of code if you play with espionage on.

Update: I've added a summary guide for all the unique abilities, improvements, units, and buildings for the different civilizations. Also, I found a few bugs in there while making it and fixed those. I've also fixed a few bugs and made a couple of modifications. I noticed that the Culture Summary Screen wasn't showing my new Great Work buildings. I found a .lua file that another modder has made to fix this issue and added it into the mod so that the correct buildings show up in that screen.

Attachments

• Eric's CEP AI Mod (v 3).civ5mod
    84.1 KB · Views: 334
  • Civilizations Guide.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 365
  • Eric B's Mod of CEP (v 3).civ5mod
    2.6 MB · Views: 201
The change that I made of separating Great Works of Art from Artifacts seems to work fine in the early going. Great Works of Art generated by Artists can be placed in the new Art Gallery building just fine. When I get to Archaeology and start digging up Artifacts, I run into a bug that breaks the game.

It gives an error saying "Flibby 4" for the types of artifacts. I'm going to try re-combining Art & Artifacts like it was but still having that Art Gallery. Unfortunately, this means that you could put Artifacts in the Gallery, but oh well at least it probably won't break it.

I do like the effect from having somewhere to put those Great Works of Art before you get to the Renaissance Era though.

I'm sure that the problem is related to the User Interface not understanding the change from Art/Artifact to just an Artifact. It's unfortunate that they designed the game this way. Really, Civ 5 is a very poorly designed game. It seems like all the work went on graphics and the gameplay is awful requiring extensive modding to be playable.

I can work on that change Monday March 9 and probably get it uploaded then after I get a chance to test it.

Seems intresting, maybe I'll start my next game with this.
EricB, good luck with fixing this "Flibby 4" error.

The latest version attached fixes that weird "Flibby 4" error. I had to re-attach Art with Artifacts to get rid of that game-breaking error. I tried re-loading an old game and testing it out, and it works.

Also, I added some building maintenance for buildings that scales according to era. Ancient buildings are 1 gold maintenance, classical 2, medieval 3, renaissance 4, etc. Exceptions are gold buildings like the market or defense buildings like the walls, which have zero maintenance.

The attached file (the main one) changes whenever I upload a new version, which I change frequently whenever I find a bug or tweak something, so make sure you have the latest one there.

And if you find a bug or something let me know. I find them all the time and try to fix them. Kind of a perfectionist.

I'll give it a go this evening. I'm in the market for a longer game experience, and your settings sound interesting.

It'll probably never be "finished" the way that I do things :)

Haven't found any major bugs that though if that's what you mean.

Top Bottom