?Mod Question?

etipton3

Chieftain
If I want to try a mod, would i be able to go back to my original game of ciV without the mod or would i have to uninstall the mod? Or is in completely separate from the original game like the world builder?

If I want to try a mod, would i be able to go back to my original game of ciV without the mod or would i have to uninstall the mod? Or is in completely separate from the original game like the world builder?

It would depend on whether the mod requires you to start a brand new game. If not, and you can implement the mod mid-game, I would make 2 seperate save games, one for loading the mod onto and one prior to loading the mod so that if you wont to remove it, you can load the save game you made prior to installing it.

I think that sounds right.

Mods are installed in a special folder separate from the official game, and you need to activate the mods once you see the main game menu. You can at any time return to main menu, then start the original game without mods.

Civ 5 Main Menu > SINGLE PLAYER / MULTI PLAYER > Original Game
Civ 5 Main Menu > MODS > SINGLE PLAYER > Play with Mods

So you choose whether you want to load mods each time you start Civ 5.

As Ozzy above noted, some mods will affect savegames, so some savegames may require that you activate a specific version of a specific mod in order to continue playing that specific save.

A second note: some MODS that require you to make changes to the main game in the Steam\steamapps\common\...etc etc...\ may be permanent and unless you backed up the original game files, would require a reinstall to go back. As long as you never run "installer" type of MODS outside of the main game menu, and never make changes to anything under the Steam folder, you're all safe. Mods are supposed to go into your C:\Users and Documents\<your user name>\My Games\Civ 5\MODS\etc.etc., so they never make any changes to the original game files. Any mod that you install via the in-game MOD BROWSER would be safe.

Top Bottom