ModBuddy: Where to Find VS2010 Isolated Shell?

Pembroke

Tribune
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I'm a bit lost now with this...

I bought a new computer (running Windows8 if that matters somehow) and got Steam running and downloaded my Civ5 anew and works fine.

Next, I downloaded ModBuddy from the Steam Tools. However, when I run it it tells me that "the visual studio 2010 isolated shell redisributable is required to run this application" and asks whether I would like to download that and install it now. Well, of course I want so I click "yes". The problem is, this seems to direct me to some non-existing windows download page because I get the Microsoft's "we are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found".

Well, ok, the installation app of the ModBuddy might be old and have a reference to some old download page that Microsoft has since moved to somewhere else, fair enough. So, I go to Microsoft downloads and enter into the search "visual studio 2010 isolated shell" and sure enough, I find two download hits (integrated and isolated). But now the problem: when I click those hits I again get the "page cannot be found" response. Uh, what?

I can find "visual studio 2012 isolated shell" but that probably won't help, right? And according to messages I searched here in CivFanatics I should get the "isolated" and not the "integrated" because of licensing and stuff, yes?

But where can I find that VS2010 isolated shell??

Any help appreciated very much!

This place appears to have it. I haven't downloaded it to make sure, I just googled for it.

I am having the same issue, the link you provided doesn't appear to have the appropriate download (unless I missed it in the mass of advertisements on the page). Is this a recent development? Has this just recently been removed from microsofts site?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Is that brothersoft link really the correct version? In the operating system info it says "windows 7 / vista / XP". Does it work with win8?

I'm also a bit averse of downloading microsoft's own stuff from other than microsoft's own sites for obvious security reasons...

Also, if the removal of the vs2010 shell from the available downloads at microsoft is genuine and not a mistake then you have the question of "why". Is it even supposed to work with win8? Or should win8 users be using the vs2012 stuff and it's the ModBuddy that should be converted and/or upgraded to vs2012 level and rebuilt?

Has anyone got a working combination of Win8+ModBuddy? What did you do?

I just want my ModBuddy working... :cry:

Visual Studio 2010 does work on Windows 8, I've got it installed myself. Microsoft probably don't host direct links to VS2010 anymore because the product has been superseded by VS2012. However, there's a lot of legacy software that relies on VS redistributables, so there's probably a way to get it packaged in with something else (not sure exactly what has it though).

As a side note, most software that works on Win7 works on Win8. I've found as well that a lot of software doesn't list Win8 as one of its compatible OSes, but I've found Win7 versions work most of the time. (Even drivers for obscure things like old wireless routers and Samsung internet modems.)

EDIT: Not sure if this works, can't you download VS2010 Express from here?

EDIT: Not sure if this works, can't you download VS2010 Express?

I can. Thanks for the suggestion. I installed it but unfortunately it doesn't include the VS2010 Shell. That seems to be an entirely separate package. So no help there.

And then, in my desperation, I acted against my own advice and tried the download from the Brothersoft link:

snarko said:
This place appears to have it. I haven't downloaded it to make sure, I just googled for it.

Shouldn't have done that... :(

Not your fault snarko, like you said, you just found it via google. So, tried that, and was infected with the Search Protect Conduit browser hijacker. It was that old bundling together trick where you get unwanted stuff along with the freeware download. Spent this afternoon trying to get rid of its modifications (all browsers, start-up app, etc.) and failed. Uninstall not possible and it kept restoring itself. Fortunately I had had the foresight to create a restore point before I started installing so as a last resort did a system restore and that seemed to prune it. Or at least now browsers look normal again and task manager doesn't show any obvious malware processes. Hopefully I got rid of it. Cost me all my bookmarks, darn it...

If anyone else is looking for the VS2010 Shell for the ModBuddy, please, do NOT use the Brothersoft download site! Don't know if they were the active party or just sold the download bundling to the actual culprits but allowing installation without consent or without a clear description of what you are actually installing is bad practice in itself and, as seen here unfortunately, open for misuse.

My own fault, I guess. Should have listened to my own advice.

Ah well, back to square one. No ModBuddy. On the bright side that situation is better than a computer full of malware, no?

This is really strange. I just downloaded it on Thursday (August 22nd). Now when I go to my history to grab the link, it gives the "File not found" stuff.

Sorry, maybe I should have downloaded it and checked it before suggesting you download it.

It's even more weird than 2010 not being there anymore. The 2008 version still is. So why remove a more recent version but not the older one? Also when trying to download it the first search result is the same page, except with the text still intact. Click on it, get "we are sorry, ..." instead.

*edit* Ok let's try this again. After a lot of searching I found what appears to be the correct file. This is a download from microsoft, so it should be virus/spyware/etc free. It appears to be the correct installer, it says Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated) when I run it. As often happens it appears they removed all references to the file but not the file itself.

It's even more weird than 2010 not being there anymore. The 2008 version still is. So why remove a more recent version but not the older one?

That *is* weird. Maybe they have just goofed up and messed their links?

After a lot of searching I found VSIsoShell.exe what appears to be the correct file.

That works! The installation was succesful and now ModBuddy started ok and after doing a small quick mod appears to function properly.

(And my browsers seem to not be hijacked this time. :) Not that I expected as your download link was to a MS site.)

So, thank you! Your effort is much appreciated! :thanx:

Maybe your direct link to the Microsoft installation package should be added somewhere in case others have the same problem with the ModBuddy? Hopefully they don't remove that package itself.

Bumping for question: I have downloaded the VSIsoShell.exe file, but when I tried to install, it said visual studio cannot run in compatibility mode. What happened here?

Top Bottom