ModCast 39: "Not a Saint"

But don't hold that against them. The thirty-ninth episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "Not a Saint", it features core panelists Tony "GarretSidzaka" Kiehl, Kenneth "Impaler[WrG]" Ferland and Peter "Maniac" Steenbeke with first-time guest co-host Shen "stmartin" Tong.

ModCast is an audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game modding; sibling show PolyCast focuses on Civ strategy and RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution.

- 05m48s | News
The new fourth regular co-host has been selected, modding support being added at Civilization IV designer Soren Johnson's Strategy Station, and the restarting of the Second Revolution Mod.
18m00s | Artist Sketchpad
Profiling Heavy Flamethrower by warkirby and WW1 Experimental units by snafusmith.
22m03s | Modding Spotlight
Going over the History of the Three Kingdoms Mod with its creator, stmartin, himself.

Great Modcast Episode. :)

Stmartin's mod looks really polished and sophisticated! Nice work guys.

Also, try not to burn your house down, I'd like to see episode 40 in my lifetime. ;)

I think that's what he meant. Wor-ker-bee War-Kir-by. Probably misheard the name.

EDIT: ninjaed!

"Hey, how ya doin man?"

Hey guys -
Thanks for reviewing the Tsar Tank and PKZ-2. Glad you liked them. Both of them were full-scale prototypes in their day, obviously neither of them worked out.

I'm no longer in Iraq, but I am in the 'Far East.' More traditional Asia than Afghanistan though... :)

I'll come back on the show if you want me to, just let me know when!

-Smitty

daughters been in the hospital, and alot more. been really busy and podcast on backburner./ as soon as next episode is realased i will set a record date to get someone on the show. sorry about the delays. once i had my second kid, alot of my time evaporated. remember i have to edit the show :p

It wouldn't be possible to have one of the Polycast guys come down and edit/produce modcast so that it's released at least monthly?

Well I understand that life is much more important then civ4; but if you simply don't have the time to do it, you may consider passing on the torch; nothing wrong with that. It's just nice to get community updates and a regular podcast about civ4 modding. Of course if we don't, we don't, that's just how it is and I can see you may not be able to find anyone to do it anyway. Thing is that modcast went from being bi-weekly, to monthly, and is now looking to be released bi-monthly; and it's done that over the course of a couple months. Not that big of a stretch for it to simply not exist anymore. If it dies, so be it, but it's worth mentioning this is a real possibility at this point, and one I think is the most likely outcome based on what's going on with it.

On a completely unrelated note, please mention this modcomp in your next recording:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=351876

Tamudjin's scenario fix is simply awesome, and hasn't gotten the attention it deserves.

In reality modcast is dysfunctional to the point of no longer existing. I believe it is time to tell the Polycast team to start covering mods. It's lame that civ4 has such a vibrant modding community, but no longer gets any community coverage, especially since Polycast is very well made and produces focused coverage. It was cool having a separate podcast for mods, but that no longer is true, and now what we have is nothing. I realize there are some social political issues wrapped up in this, but I'm not really concerned with those, they are personal. At this point it's time to step up, and start producing the series again, regardless of how that is done, or pass the torch onto Polycast.

In reality modcast is dysfunctional to the point of no longer existing. I believe it is time to tell the Polycast team to start covering mods. It's lame that civ4 has such a vibrant modding community, but no longer gets any community coverage, especially since Polycast is very well made and produces focused coverage. It was cool having a separate podcast for mods, but that no longer is true, and now what we have is nothing. I realize there are some social political issues wrapped up in this, but I'm not really concerned with those, they are personal. At this point it's time to step up, and start producing the series again, regardless of how that is done, or pass the torch onto Polycast.

I agree with Phungus. I would much rather see a 10-15 minute segment in each Polycast episode about Civ mods than I would wait for a modcast.

well, please expect another episode in a couple days.

i plan on there being a light number of episodes, until Civ5 comes out.

my "some social political issues" are that i have 2 kids now, and that ate up a whole bunch of my free time. as well as the fact that the person who used to cover for me, now has a job and no free time either.

please try to stay positive.

btw: none of the people in the polycast have modded or even play mods

my "some social political issues" are that i have 2 kids now, and that ate up a whole bunch of my free time. as well as the fact that the person who used to cover for me, now has a job and no free time either.
You're not understanding correctly. The fact you have no free time is totally understandable, but also is due to personal reasons. The fact the civ4 modding community no longer gets coverage by podcast is a social political issue, revolving around you personally. Human social politics are complex; basically only you can release the ability for polycast to cover mods, or set up a viable way for modcast to continue; so long as you assert political control over modcast, it is defunct. I understand your personal issues and agree family life takes precedence over some abstract issues surrounding a gaming forum, however at the same time these personal issues are largely irrelevant; family is the direct cause, but at the same time has no bearing on a fixing the problem. Moving on and getting modcast to work again by putting someone else in charge of producing/editing, or moving mod coverage into a section of polycast are the relevant political issues worth discussing; in this context your daughter simply is not.

btw: none of the people in the polycast have modded or even play mods
This is not true. I know a few of them use the BUG mod, and TMIT definitely uses BetterAI. If they were asked to put in a section on mods, a few of them would probably try them. We'd also likely get a more in depth review, as modcast generally relies on the modmaker for information about a mod; which slants the focus. Basically all we get are the positives; if polycast looked at mods I think we'd hear about the negatives as well, which I think is important and also more in line with reality. This is also the main reason I have repeatedly refused to go on modcast to discuss LoR; I'd rather hear a review by a third party, and I'd rather other users hear that review, then simply spout my own biased opinion. In a broader context I wish you'd consider this approach, it would be nice to hear constructive criticism when you are discussing a mod, and even point out if there are known issues, such as stability (not being able to make it through a game is a huge issue, and I've seen this totally ignored before on the show). None of this really matters though if modcast will no longer be produced, which is how things look from here.

... I'd rather hear a review by a third party, and I'd rather other users hear that review, then simply spout my own biased opinion. In a broader context I wish you'd consider this approach, it would be nice to hear constructive criticism when you are discussing a mod, and even point out if there are known issues, such as stability (not being able to make it through a game is a huge issue, and I've seen this totally ignored before on the show).

you must go back and check we have burned a few mods in our day, but i try to encourage the co-hosts to try to be positive. If we say something bad about a mod, I usually want to say 2 good things (exception: afterworld).

I am really interested in this third party of reviews. im gettin some ideas from this ...

like maybe quoting forum posts of people giving their opinions to the creators, or better yet is there someone who is actively reviewing mods? that would be an actual third party.

I reviewed PIG for episode 41. Phungus, Aforess, when that episode is released, I'd be interested to hear if that's how you imagine mod reviews.

Top Bottom