Modding?

Cheez-it!

Chieftain
I apologize if there's already a thread sharing similar concerns, but one thing about the 'Deluxe Edition' pack, which includes the Babylonian civilization while the normal version doesn't, that I'm suspicious about is the future of the modding scene of this series. I fear that modding may be limited in this game, because if someone can easily enough create a Babylonian faction for the normal version of the game (like they created new civs for CivIV), what's the point of having to pay extra for a Deluxe edition?

Napoleon and Empire: Total War are two games hooked up to the Steam and the DLC system that can't be modded like their predecessors, and I sincerely hope this series isn't going down that route.

Yes, there already is a thread: DLC vs Modding.

As for your fears, I'm not too worried because of a certain irony that would result from hiring a modder (Jon Shafer) to be the lead designer of a game, only to later restrict modding on that particular game.

There is no real point in paying extra for the deluxe edition if you are not crazy about Babylon. It'll probably be released as a mod right after the release anyway.

Yes, there already is a thread: DLC vs Modding.

Ooops. :blush: A moderator can merge this with that thread, if he wishes.

Anyway, I guess I'm just a little reactionary as I'm a Total War fan, and I'm sure you've heard what a disaster the last two games have been to the modding community. While in the past we've been able to create excellent mods based on Lord of the Rings, we don't even have the ability to alter the map now, and our tools are quite limited in their scope compared to past releases such as Rome and Medieval II. That's why I'm concerned about the DLC junk being filtered into this series. I hope you turn out correct, though.

Top Bottom