MODPACK: Civilization Universalis for BNW

Jopo

Chieftain
OK, I will create this new thread for my Civilization Universalis mod since it will be updated to BNW standard and since I don´t want to be guilty of thread necromancing, after all it has been months since I posted on my previous thread.
However, fear not! Civilization Universalis Mod will never die as long as I can help it and if I can recruit others to the project, that would be great.

INTRODUCTION:

Civilization Universalis is an ambitious project aiming to create a mod or more likely a modpack since I will likely be including work from other modders as well (with their permission of course and credits will go to each individual according to their contributions, naturally), worthy of being a tribute to two great game series; The Civilization series and the Paradox Interactive´s Europa Universalis series, both of which are among my favorites.

Hence I am calling on all able and willing modders to contribute to this project!

Work is already underway and I will post news and files for others to review and comment on as I get them done.

I have already completed a list of UnitCombats, which I aimed at being as realistic as possible.

The new unit combat classes are:

1. Exploration; Scout, Explorer etc.

2. Support; Units such as "Field Hospital" (heals surrounding units) are in this class

3. Engineer

4. Trade; If there is going to be a fighting trade caravan, then it will be in this class

5. Melee Militia; Unorganized melee units like "Armed Peasants" will be in this class, perhaps early game units like "Warrior" too since they lack military training and organization as they haven´t been invented yet. :)

6. Light Melee Infantry; Melee units having light or no armor. Aztec "Jaguar", basic spearman etc.

7. Heavy Melee Infantry; Heavily armored melee infantry, such as the Roman Legion and Praetorian, Japanese Samurai etc. etc.

8. Light Cavalry Melee; Cavalry units with light armor and fighting with melee weapons. This unit class will be around for a long time since it includes relatively modern units such as the Uhlan, Lancer, Winged Hussar etc., as well as ancient units such as Horseman and Companion Cavalry.

9. Heavy Cavalry Melee; Knight, Cuirassier, Cataphract etc.

10. Cavalry Archer; The class name says it all.

11. Archer; Bowman, Longbowman, Crossbowman etc.

12. Skirmish Infantry; I think I will add this new class to the different eras, so there will be classes such as Musket Skirmish Infantry and Rifle Skirmish Infantry. Ancient/Medieval Skirmish Infantry units are Greek Peltasts, Mayan/Aztec Atlatlist, Slingers etc. These are a class of their own instead of being in the light Infantry section, because these units fight with a different style, using skirmish tactics, bombarding the enemy with javelins etc. and never engaging in melee.

13. Siege; Catapult, Trebuchet, Ballista etc.

---Musket Era----

14. Musket Militia; Minuteman etc. Units with little or no training, at a disadvantage fighting regular troops.

15. Musket Light Infantry; Quickly moving Light Inf. such as German/Austrian Jaegers etc. Skirmish units of the musket era could be classified as Light Infantry.

16. Musket Line Infantry: Regular troops fighting in the well known line formations. Units such as English Redcoat, French Whitecoat, Prussian/German Bluecoat etc. Historically line tactics didn´t change all that much until the advent of repeating rifles etc. made these tactics nearly suicidal. So, units as far as the American Civil War can be classified in this class since their armament was the musket and the tactics were line tactics.

17. Muzzle Artillery; From the earliest cannons up until the invention of breech loading arty.

18. Musket Dragoon Cavalry; Dragoons who dismount to fight.

--- Rifle Era ---

The invention of the repeating rifle revolutionized warfare and this is reflected by putting all units armed with rifles (bolt action rifles usually) in a class of their own. Needless to say, rifle units outclass muskets any time, so rifle units will have a major bonus against musket class units. Rifle Era is about from 1870´s to 1918 after which modern automatic weapons start to take over necessitating yet a new class.

19. Rifle Militia

20. Rifle Light Infantry; Light infantry of the rifle era are units such as; Mountain Infantry, Chasseurs Alpins etc. These units have little heavy weapons so they are at a disadvantage against heavier units, although they can be deadly in specialized environments such as hills or forests.

21. Rifle Infantry; Rifleman, Great War Infantry

22. Rifle Dragoon; By this time cavalry had become almost entirely mounted infantry who dismounted to fight, melee cavalry charges against machine guns would almost inevitably result in bloodbaths.

23. Machine gun; machine gun units such as the Gatling gun.

24. Breech Artillery; The earliest breech loading arty.

25. Early Armor: The first tanks, Landship etc.

---Modern Era----

26. Early Modern Light Infantry; The Early Modern is meant to designate WW-2 era units armed with a mixture of bolt-action rifles, submachine guns etc., before the advent of the assault rifle. Light Inf. Units are Paratroopers, mountain infantry etc.

27. Early Modern Infantry; Regular WW-2 Inf.

28. Early Modern Special Forces; WW-2 era English SAS, etc. These units don´t usually engage enemy units directly, instead they are invisible (can only be detected by other special units), have hidden nationality etc. they can be air dropped to enemy lands to pillage and destroy behind enemy lines. Effective against Guerrilla units.

29. Early Modern Motorised Infantry; Infantry Mounted in trucks

30. Early Modern Mechanized Infantry; Infantry mounted in half-tracks and other early tracked vehicles.

31. Early Modern Guerrilla Infantry; Irregular forces using guerrilla tactics.

32. Early Modern Recon Infantry; WW-2 era scouting infantry. This class could be merged with light inf or special forces.

33. Early Modern Anti-Tank Infantry; Bazooka, Panzerschreck etc. This is just in case there needs to be a separate unit type for inf anti-tank.

34. Early Modern Military Police; Anti-Riot, Anti-Guerrilla units anyone? Extra happiness/suppression in cities with these units garrisoned inside.

35. Early Modern Mechanized Recon; Armored scout cars etc.

36. Early Modern Light Armor; Light tanks such as German Pzkpfw 2 etc.

37. Early Modern Medium Armor; American Sherman, Russian T-34 etc.

38. Early Modern Heavy Armor; German Tiger, Russian JS-2 etc.

39: Early Modern Field Artillery; WW-2 artillery

40. Early Modern Rocket Artillery

41. Early Modern Self-Propelled Artillery

42. Early Modern SP-Rocket Artillery

Ok, the list is soo long I wont post any more here, but basically I divided the history of war into eras according to the prevailing weapons and tactics. The eras are:

LAND:
1. Ancient/Medieval; Melee weapons and tactics

2. Musket

3. Rifle

4. Early Modern (WW-2)

5. Basic Modern (Cold War or Atomic Era, assault rifles, MBTs, attack choppers, air mobile infantry)

6. Improved Modern (Information Era, basically weapons and tactics of today 2013)

7. Advanced Modern (Near Future era units. This era requires some innovative thinking, what will be the weapons of the near future? German Leopard 3 MBT? American M2A1 Powell/Schwarzkopf MBT?)

8. Basic Future; The list could be continued endlessly, but as for land units I stopped it at Basic Future, for now. :)

As for Naval Units I classified them according to their method of propulsion and other factors;

1.Oar; triremes etc.

2. Sail

3. Steam

4. Modern; Conventional (most modern ships and conventional subs) and Nuclear.

Air units were classified according to the agreed international generational classification and according to their role such as Dive Bomber, Carrier-Borne Fighter, Fighter-Bomber etc.

1. Early; Triplane, Great War Bomber

2. 1st Generation; Piston Engine Fighters/Bombers

3. 2nd Generation; Early subsonic Jet Fighters and Bombers

4. 3rd Generation; Supersonic planes

5. 4th Generation; F-15, F-18, F-14, Mig-29 etc.

6. 5th Generation; Stealth planes, F-22, B-2

There are also classifications for Missile units and attack helos.

I am currently working on a new tech tree, which will include all the vanilla techs and add a ton of new techs. I will post the tech tree for review as soon as it is ready. Once completed there will be a need for LOTS of new buildings, units, wonders etc etc. and icons for them all. Now, I´m not a great artist myself, but I´ve practiced making some simple icons and I think I am slowly improving. :)

I noticed someone had made a mod which made health a yield just like in Civ 4, I think I will ask permission to include that mod in the modpack with slight modifications, that being that surplus health should in my mind generate extra happiness instead of food (magical food comes out of nowhere if people are healthy?)

Also, I would like to use the similar mechanism to add a couple of new yields;
1. CORRUPTION/CRIME; Affects gold income and happiness.
2. POLLUTION; Reduces health and happiness, may create pollution in hexes etc.

Ok, that´s all for now. If you would like to contribute to the project, by for example offering ideas, then post or PM me.

Cheers!

Top Bottom