[Module]Amurite+

Sephi

Deity
This module is included in Wildmana by Default. Since it uses Python it is not fully modular yet and can't be removed easily.

Goals:
Make the Amurite Leaders more unique in playstyle
Make some units more viable so playing amurites is not just spamming firebows

Civtrait:
Kylorins Legacy (same as arcane trait+less chance to resist spells from amurite units
Higher level Battlemages automatically gain guardsman (lvl3), Channeling II (lvl 6)

Leaders:
  • Valledia (Organized,Earth Magic Mastery)
  • Dain (Philosophical, Mind Magic Mastery)
  • Tya (Summoner, Law Magic Mastery)
  • Verlain (Scientific, Shadow Magic Mastery)
  • Lorelei (Water Magic Mastery, can gain another trait depending on her actions)
Unique Buildings:

• Wizard Hall(replaces mage guild): gives units build in the city a small chance to start with a level 1 spell
  • Transmutation Lab(replaces alchemy lab): free regeneration promotion for units in the city
  • Wall of Warding (replaces walls): free blur promotion for units in the city
  • Arcane forge: free enchantment promotion for units in the city. Happiness from enchantment mana instead of gold
  • Cave of Ancestors:gives 1 free xp to arcane units for every different mana type, small chance to give free level 2 spell to every unit build in the city

Unique Units:

• Swordmage(replaces axeman): availabe with Knowledge of the Ether and wizard hall, doesn't get weapon upgrades. aptitude to few mana types (same as mana affinity, but max. +1 )
  • Battlemage (replaces champion): starts with channeling I, doesn't get weapon upgrade. aptitude to few mana types
  • Planeshifter (replaces ranger): lower base strength, aptitude to few mana types
  • other Amurite UU same as base FFH

thanks to Ahwaric, Iceiro, Opera, Valkrionn for ideas/code

Looks good! Typo with Swordmage

Is this modmod compatible with Orbis?

pretty sure FF doesn't have my XML tags merged. Don't know about Rife but I guess not. So no need to blame the python, or you for not having the modular python system from the BUG mod :p

In short, this module isn't easily transferred to another mod.

same question than in my dumb thread about amurite balance (silly me)
may you write in the 1st post :
-the mana the battlemage and planeshifter have aptitude with !!
-that the battlemage get channeling 2 at lvl 6 (is it an option for which you can spend 1 level? or is it an automatic free promotion ?)

-do the planeshifter have the same channeling 2 at lvl6?

planeshifter: body, nature, shadow, mind

channeling 2 for lvl 6 battlemages is from civtrait

thanks sephi

Possible balance issue:

I just realized that the free promos from the Mastery traits are given to Battlemages as well as to mages. And not just to the level 6 Battlemages who get Channeling II, either--my 0xp Battlemages get the same T2 Mastery promo that my mages get (as well as the free BodyI and EnchantmentI--are these promos intended to be given for free?). Because of this, Valledia's Battlemages are just ridiculous, as every one of them gets Haste, Enchanted Blade, and (craziest of all) Stoneskin. With Stoneskin and the unit's natural 2 free 1st strike chances, 0xp Battlemages have something like 5 or 6 1st strike chances. Drill IV Battlemages have something like 12 first strikes. Wow!

Not sure I like that Valledia get a magic mastery...
In my mind she is pretty bad at magic, and excels at leadership and manipulation etc to make up for it

Yeah, Valledia did not have enough innate magical talent to be accepted as an adept by any of the mage guilds a child. Her magical ability is probably below average for an Amurite, but still above average for any other civ. What spells she knows she may well have learned from Govannon, whose teachings were probably illegal before she came to office. She comes from a humble background of non-magical Amurite commoners. She is a consummate politician who rose to the elected office of Queen by championing the cause of the non-magical lower classes, and by blackmailing the "Aristocrasy" of the mage guilds. She is hated by most of the more powerful mages and archmages, but knows enough secrets about them to force them to do her bidding. She is still wildly popular among the masses.

While a Pr0n event does have Valledia summoning an Earth elemental, her personality is best suited for Shadow.

I don't know if I really like the idea of these mastery traits. Also, why would Dain have mastery of Mind? I believe the current Caswallawn's magical speciality was probably Fire. We know that as a younger mage his battle experience was mostly throwing fireballs.

I don't see ow Tya is tied to law. Spirit, death, or entropy might make more sense. What we know of her backstory is that she took the Cave Trials while unknowingly pregnant, and was guided through by the spirit of her unborn son. She survived the ordeal, but her child did not. If I recall, this lead to a depression that prevented her from actually taking the position in the mage guild to which she was rightfully entitled. (She was supposed to be the main character of The Gift, which was supposed to focus on this bit of her story, but Kael cut it as he considered her tale too dark even for FfH.)

Frankly I'm not a fan of much this mod offers. In the lore the Amurite mage guilds closely controlled all magical knowledge until the time of Govannon. Considering that Dain discovered the Cave of Ancestors in the 441st year of Age of Rebirth, that Dain and Valledia were clearly in power at the same time, and that Valledia is known to protect Govannon from the mage guilds as she sees the benefit of an army that knows magic, I think it is safe to say that the Amurites should not be that magical in the early game. Most Amurites still do not have the innate talent to use magic effectively.

I would prefer:
1. Separate the Potency promotion given by the arcane and spiritual traits (in normal FfH Spiritual includes all the abilities of Arcane and more as you can upgrade all your mages from Savants)

2. Either make Arcanethe Amurite Civ Trait, or make the arcane promotion their default race. If you keep it a trait, give it a research bonus.

3. Possibly give Valledia and Dain each an extra trait, say maybe Financial and Magic Resistant.

4. Change the workings of the Cave of Ancestors. Instead of giving free xp for each mana you own, allow a "Cave Trials" spell that allows arcane units to risk death for a chance of getting free promotion picks.

5. Add a "Caswallawn" promotion that an archmage has a tiny chance of getting from the Cave Trials, which would make him unable to use the ability again but would give him a boost like a lot more spell damage or 1 metagamic affinity.

6. Change the way Govannon teaches magic. Since in the lore he will not let the government dictate whom he teaches, it should be a passive ability. I'm thinking a PyPerTurn effect of a new "magically liberal" type promotion. The ability would not interfere with his ability to cast other spells, but would only teach one spell at a time, maybe to only one unit at a time. He might even refuse to train unitcombat_adept, as his purpose is to help those who have been reected by the mage guilds. Give him a small chance of giving his students Channeling II (and maybe even very rarely Channeling III), and a much better chance of giving his students the same promotion that causes him to teach magic. Govannon is but one man, but started a movement that could live on long after he dies.

7. Allow Wizards to upgrade to Immortals.

1. sounds good. added
2. Arcane already is civ trait with a small research bonus
3. I prefer traits that make a Leader play different. Financial is just a huge passive effect while magic resistant hardly does anything.
4. sounds good, but I don't want to replace something the AI understands well with something it doesn't understand at all.
6. your idea is definetly closer to the lore but I don't think it will improve gameplay. Right now there are different strategies on how to use Govannon.
7. Sounds interesting. AI would need to understand on how to change UnitAIs when upgrading units though. I'll take a look at it.

Frankly I'm not a fan of much this mod offers. In the lore the Amurite mage guilds closely controlled all magical knowledge until the time of Govannon. Considering that Dain discovered the Cave of Ancestors in the 441st year of Age of Rebirth, that Dain and Valledia were clearly in power at the same time, and that Valledia is known to protect Govannon from the mage guilds as she sees the benefit of an army that knows magic, I think it is safe to say that the Amurites should not be that magical in the early game. Most Amurites still do not have the innate talent to use magic effectively.

I've gotta disagree with most of your post. Gameplay over Lore/Flavor any day, in my book. Finally, the Amurites actually feel like a magical-based Civ rather than generic_civilization01 with easy-access mages.

The inclusion of early game units such as swordmages, and their very different tech / resource needs, gives the Amurites a refreshingly different way to play. You can focus a bit more on magical-related research without suffering quite so catastrophically in military areas.

So.. according to lore timeline, the units don't really match up? No big deal, it doesn't impact the fact that playing a game as the Amurites is now a unique, different experience.

I love this MOD and the Amurites and frankly MC, I don't give a damn! about the "lore" that is. :p (no offense intended, MC) I really enjoyed my last Amurite conquest, most fun I've had playing this game to date. Muchos gracias y feliz ano nuevo.

I've gotta disagree with most of your post. Gameplay over Lore/Flavor any day, in my book. Finally, the Amurites actually feel like a magical-based Civ rather than generic_civilization01 with easy-access mages.

The inclusion of early game units such as swordmages, and their very different tech / resource needs, gives the Amurites a refreshingly different way to play. You can focus a bit more on magical-related research without suffering quite so catastrophically in military areas.

So.. according to lore timeline, the units don't really match up? No big deal, it doesn't impact the fact that playing a game as the Amurites is now a unique, different experience.

Quoted for emphasis.

I gave the Amurite Archmages 7 strength and Twincast for free. Not more overpowering then Balseraph puppet trickery and puts their magic more on par with the Summoning civs. Also, it solves the flavour problem of the Amurite Arhmages being weaker then Amurite MagePriests.

Top Bottom