MoraI foundations test, by Johnathan Haidt

I think Johnathan Haidt is kinda psuedoscience but I finally did it anyway
1708041540725.png

what could this be trying to mean
That according to you, those vague, nebulous and highly subjective concepts are "acceptable" or "not'.

That according to you, those vague, nebulous and highly subjective concepts are "acceptable" or "not'.
The whole point of this exercise is to make these concepts specific, objective and measurable. You can look at the questions and see specifically what the "top ones" and "bottom ones" are measuring.

Sure.

EDIT: really? I just thought about it as a thought experiment.

Well then, ok. So you agree "top ones" good "bottom ones bad"....is that the consensus?

Care: 73
Fairness: 73
Liberty: 58
In-group: 67
Purity: 46
Authority: 67

Seems pretty well-rounded... a bit surprised liberty scored so low.

Well then, ok. So you agree "top ones" good "bottom ones bad"....is that the consensus?
To make answering that easier I split the questions by top and bottom. Proportionality/Fairness is a top one? I scored them pretty low.
Spoiler Top Ones :
1. Caring for people who have suffered is an important virtue.
2. The world would be a better place if everyone made the same amount of money.
3. I think people who are more hardworking should end up with more money.
7. I believe that compassion for those who are suffering is one of the most crucial virtues.
8. Our society would have fewer problems if people had the same income.
9. I think people should be rewarded in proportion to what they contribute.
13. We should all care for people who are in emotional pain.
14. I believe that everyone should be given the same quantity of resources in life.
15. The effort a worker puts into a job ought to be reflected in the size of a raise they receive.
19. I am empathetic toward those people who have suffered in their lives.
20. I believe it would be ideal if everyone in society wound up with roughly the same amount of money.
21. It makes me happy when people are recognized on their merits.
25. Everyone should try to comfort people who are going through something hard.
26. When people work together toward a common goal, they should share the rewards equally, even if some worked harder on it.
27. In a fair society, those who work hard should live with higher standards of living.
31. It pains me when I see someone ignoring the needs of another human being.
32. I get upset when some people have a lot more money than others in my country.
33. I feel good when I see cheaters get caught and punished.

Spoiler Bottom Ones :
4. I think children should be taught to be loyal to their country.
5. I think it is important for societies to cherish their traditional values.
6. I think the human body should be treated like a temple, housing something sacred within.
10. It upsets me when people have no loyalty to their country.
11. I feel that most traditions serve a valuable function in keeping society orderly.
12. I believe chastity is an important virtue.
16. Everyone should love their own community.
17. I think obedience to parents is an important virtue.
18. It upsets me when people use foul language like it is nothing.
22. Everyone should defend their country, if called upon.
23. We all need to learn from our elders.
24. If I found out that an acquaintance had an unusual but harmless sexual fetish I would feel uneasy about them.
28. Everyone should feel proud when a person in their community wins in an international competition.
29. I believe that one of the most important values to teach children is to have respect for authority.
30. People should try to use natural medicines rather than chemically identical human-made ones.
34. I believe the strength of a sports team comes from the loyalty of its members to each other.
35. I think having a strong leader is good for society.
36. I admire people who keep their virginity until marriage.

Spoiler Called in paper? :
Top ones:
Care = 1, 7, 13, 19, 25, and 31
Equality = 2, 8, 14, 20, 26, and 32
Proportionality = 3, 9, 15, 21, 27, and 33

Bottom ones:
Loyalty = 4, 10, 16, 22, 28, and 34
Authority = 5, 11, 17, 23, 29, and 35
Purity = 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, and 36

Are those your answers?

🤣 the 36 question test is not the same linked by @amadeus up top

Last edited:
Are those your answers?
Those are the questions from the 2022 paper, split by if the score contributes to the top attributes or the bottom ones.

The questions are asked very differently.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240217-101636.png
    Screenshot_20240217-101636.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 10
The questions are asked very differently.
They are, and there's a sixth category, and he no longer presents it directly as a "political compass." The form the test takes and the value it seeks to have have changed considerably.

They are, and there's a sixth category, and he no longer presents it directly as a "political compass." The form the test takes and the value it seeks to have have changed considerably.
I think they have the same categories and the 36 question test had the political thing ....which is the newer test? (36quest or amadeuslink?)

I cannot find a reference that has the same questions as the amadeuslink, the 36 I quote are from 2022 and I think that is the latest version. I found this with different sets of questions, referenced from this paper. This paper seems to be the "original" from 2004, but I cannot easily find the related question.

After looking a bit longer I may have overestimated the rigour of these tests. I can find no references to any of the questions in either amadeus one or the IRD labs one. Are they all just making up there questions? With so many without overlapping questions how predictive one is of the result of another would be a good metric.

The questions in the actually published questionnaires are found all over the web, frequently in sciency places but not so often in interactive form. There is the five category one here that requires registration but a temp email works. You also have to enter a load of demographic info so they can build their models. The demographic questions are really US aimed, even after saying not US.

Last edited:
Here is my result for the one at moralfoundations.org, which is run by the University of Southern California and appears to be a legitimate scientific endeavour though they appear to have run out of money.

They also give your percentage position

Yeah I was just saying what my scores were champ

My results :

Care 87
Fairness 71
Liberty 52
In-Group 35
Purity 25
Authority 21

...really thoroughly unsurprising to me.

Here is my result for the one at moralfoundations.org, which is run by the University of Southern California and appears to be a legitimate scientific endeavour though they appear to have run out of money.

They also give your percentage position

Looked there, couldn't find this most recent test. I am interested in how they frame the questions.

On a side note, I don't know how you are using the term "sciency".

Looked there, couldn't find this most recent test. I am interested in how they frame the questions.

On a side note, I don't know how you are using the term "sciency".
The questions are published in a peer reviewed paper and referenced widely. The results are published and analysed. That is much of what I mean by sciency. You can download the questions in word format [more versions are available] if you want to look at them. An online version of the test is here, but you need to register and give demographic info.

Top Bottom