More AI problems (King): Not using Great people?

DEfinitely what Frank327 says.
Peter was pulling the exact same trick in my game. Hoovering up all the GP artists and writers and leaving them. I took over all his cities and found he didn't have the room to place their works. He was very good at GP popping but his tech rate and low number of cities meant he wasn't able to keep up with building spaces for them. You're playing at King - like I was. I guess a couple of difficulty levels higher he will be faster building and you will be having a tourist culture victory race.

That explains the situation, but it doesn't excuse the poor AI! Build places for your works and play the game AI! Sheesh....

:'( It's not just an AI problem. My first game with Greece/Pericles I'm pretty sure I was the only player that got any Great Writers, but I only had five cities. I paved the fields with unused Great Writers.

But I couldn't just let the other Civs get them!

That explains the situation, but it doesn't excuse the poor AI! Build places for your works and play the game AI! Sheesh....
It's not AI problem - it's game design problem. Try to play with impact for great people (Kongo, Russia could be best examples) and soon you'll have more great people then slots. There should be alternate possibility what to do with great artists, writers, musicians.

It's poor game design. This happened to me constantly when I played France. Particularly with Great Writers. I agree with the suggestion these Great People should have alternate uses as well so they not go to waste

I'm playing as Russia and I have many unused (yet) Great People too. That's totally ok.
Needs some strategy to use them all in the end, but it works.

There is actually a use for the extra artists: sell the works to the AI for huge sums of gold (1000 a piece from what I hear), or just delete the GP for 1000 gold. The latter especially is counterintuitive, but it's an option – and a pretty strong one at that.

So both a design problem (way too hard to generate slots) and an AI problem (doesn't go for the alternate uses).

There is actually a use for the extra artists: sell the works to the AI for huge sums of gold (1000 a piece from what I hear), or just delete the GP for 1000 gold. The latter especially is counterintuitive, but it's an option – and a pretty strong one at that.

So both a design problem (way too hard to generate slots) and an AI problem (doesn't go for the alternate uses).
Oh interesting, didn't realize you could delete for gold, especially that much! That's a good find and I guess is the de facto "alternative" use for them.

Yeah, in my recent game, Russia decided to defend St Petersburg with a bunch of artists and writers. It didn't work so well for them against my frigates. I wish I could capture them, but it was a bit weird seeing that.

They probably don't have any room to place the great works that they provide.

In Civ V, each city could hold 1 Writing (Amphitheater), 2 Art (Museum), and 2 Music (Opera House & Broadcast Tower). You could also potentially have a Cathedral for an additional piece of Art.

But the main difference is that each Great Person only produced 1 piece of Writing, Art, or Music.

In Civ VI, each Great Person now produces 2 pieces of Writing or Music, or 3 pieces of Art. In addition, the District system means that not every city will have a Culture district and it also means it requires more production to build everything.

So it is not all that surprising that Great Work slots are so scarce in Civ VI....

AI doesn't have slots to place the works. same thing with Peter in my game. He had Great artists and writers sitting outside his cities and a ton of great works in the trade table as well, which he wax unwilling to give up on. so the GP are being used for sure

They probably don't have any room to place the great works that they provide.

Saw exactly this in my Emperor game, also with Russia. Firstly, they should build districts/buildings to keep pace with the artists they're generating. Secondly, I stole a great work from Russia and as far as I know the AI didn't reoccupy that slot - I get the sense that the AI doesn't register the GPs exist if it can't use them immediately.

It's poor game design. This happened to me constantly when I played France. Particularly with Great Writers. I agree with the suggestion these Great People should have alternate uses as well so they not go to waste

I focused on GP production and only twice had GPs standing around for more than a few turns - HG Wells when I ran out of amphitheaters, and a musician I earned too early to have music slots. They could do more with adding more spaces in Wonders - and reinstating something like the opera house so that musicians can be used earlier - but it seems mainly a planning issue: if you don't have the space to build enough cultural districts you shouldn't focus on culture GPs

Firstly, they should build districts/buildings to keep pace with the artists they're generating.

That would be impossible, given how many cities they'd need to settle to get enough slots for the works even if they built Theater Districts in each of them.

Yeah, in my recent game, Russia decided to defend St Petersburg with a bunch of artists and writers. It didn't work so well for them against my frigates. I wish I could capture them, but it was a bit weird seeing that.

:) In reality, Tolstoy, Chekov and Tchaikovsky were superb defenders of Russia.

Top Bottom