Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Opponent founds city right before your settler arrives

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 12 9.8%

• Total voters

Xoon

Warlord
Which of these "minor annoyances" fills you with the most Civ-rage?

poll coming

I voted wonder. Nothing makes me rage-quit more than waiting out a wonder only to have some chump barely beat me to it. The extra gold only makes me madder.

If there was an option for the awful pathing in this game (not being able to move to distant tiles you can't even see because they're occupied, paths being cancelled because the end point is occupied, civilian units not being able to pass through other players' other units etc) I would have gone for that. Easily the most constant source of annoyance in the game. But out of what's in the list, I'd go for the city, because it's more frequently game ending than the wonder stealing.

At least with enemy settler you can snatch the city away from them and raze it to the ground, build your own on top of the ruins... But with the wonder lost, most of the time you have no idea who built it. And you can't get it back. Unless you conquer that city that is heaven knows where owned by heaven knows who. :undecide:

Hard choice.
I said settler because you have most likely sunk a lot of precious early game production and growth into it, and the fact that it is the early game makes it even more costly

Wonders, I'ma wondermonger so it sucks when somebody beats me to Great Library or Pyramids, or Parthenon on Warlord/Prince!

Voted other: When at war and on the offensive noticing how if the AI had built a city just one tile away from where it actually did that it would have turned a so-so city into great city.

I voted for city settling : I will routinely ragequit games where the AI settles spots I want. Not very mature, I know, but eh.

However there is something else, that won't make me ragequit but is extremely irritating : the whole Fortify until healed / Fortify / Do nothing conundrum. Either I fortify until healed and randomly get my scout killed without ever knowing it was being attacked, or I fortify it to get the better defensive bonus but then forget about the unit for 20 turns, or I "do nothing" and have to do it for 10 turns before it heals back to full. Fortified units should be alert too. I cannot think of a reason they are not, and it annoys me to no end when I lose a scout because of it.

The first is by far the most devastating. All that time wasted, and you were probably at least partly counting on getting that wonder.

Wonders, I'ma wondermonger so it sucks when somebody beats me to Great Library or Pyramids, or Parthenon on Warlord/Prince!

Me too. And it can be the most useless wonder in the game. I still want it and will fight anyone who steals it from me.

Losing wonders is very, very annoying, but I'm always more annoyed when an AI founds a city like two tiles away from where I wanted to found one of mine. If they settled one where I wanted to I'll just go capture it, but if it's poorly placed I'm stuck having to capture it, raze it, and then resettle it.

Far and away the settler one.

Who cares about the wonder thing. At least you still get money. And you get a lot of money most of the time.

Having the right cities can make or break your game.

Voted "other". All of the above are cases of the AI doing something it should be trying to (with the exception of Jon's example, the 1-tile-off city). My biggest little annoyance is when I click on a unit to give it an order, and then I end up giving the wrong unit the order because the game decided I need to give someone else an order next instead.

That takes the cake because it should NEVER be happening, and yet it does and can cost you a unit, or a settler, or worse: a battle.

Sometimes settling in a suitable place takes many tile movements, so finally placing a city is really worth all the settler moves. The only issue that arrives is when another player is already in the suitable spot, builds the new city and bumps your settler and military unit out the way. The suitable place doesn't always have a suitable area next to it so building the city next to the new city can also make things more complicated.

The City Founding issue is awful, especially when it happens something like ~1 turn before the arrival of your settler :p

They are all annoying of course but in an order it would be(1-most annoying) :

1-Opponent founds city right before your settler arrives
2-Wonder built by opponent just before you get there
3-Worker snatched by enemy you weren't paying attention to
4-City state election rigged, dropping your happiness below threshhold
5-Scout takes ruins right before you get to it

1- OMG what a waste of turns! At quick speed mp it's even more painful...[pissed]
2- Crap...all these hammers for NOTHING? Excepted a little of gold...but..why me? :cry:
3- Sometimes i can recuperate him fast enough...but losing him for 6+ turns is :aargh:
4- I can get it back with some gold usually...but not always...if i stay unhappy i...:badcomp:
5- Meh...i would have got a stupid map or barb ruin. But wait...he just got a free :c5citizen:! Son of a b...:wallbash:!!!

Voted "other". All of the above are cases of the AI doing something it should be trying to (with the exception of Jon's example, the 1-tile-off city. My biggest little annoyance is when I click on a unit to give it an order, and then I end up giving the wrong unit the order because the game decided I need to give someone else an order next instead.

That takes the cake because it should NEVER be happening, and yet it does and can cost you a unit, or a settler, or worse: a battle.

This. I once had this with the original Settler/Warrior and had to make a new game T_T

Other; AIs constantly asking me to go to war with some random civ.

1 - Worker : I include in this archer or warrior I didn't see when I steal a worker to an AI or a barbarian coming from nowhere with its ZOC.
2 - Ruins : They can change a game.
3 - CS: Happiness is a pain. Rigged election is manageable, coup from Alex a nightmare.
4 - Cities : I became a routine. I'll settle on this place, so I need a settler before TX because AI will be there TY.
5 - Wonders : Blazed. I'll have gold and use to invest in wonders where I'm nearly sure to have.

I concur with all of them and some of the other, but I voted Other.

I clear a Barbarian Camp with an archer or have it almost released from its mortal coil only to have some civ swoop in and claim the gold.

Top Bottom