Most Disliked Civ to Play

Am I just bad at playing the Iroquois, or do they really suck? Their UA seems very situational, Longhouse and Mohawk Warriors look weak.

I love the Iroquois. Their UA is great for early gold and mobility, and the longhouse gives your cores cities great early production. They're one of the stronger civs imo. I've encountered the Iroquois a disproportionately large amount of the time, and they've pretty much always been a runaway AI in my games.

As to the topic, I always shy away from purely warlike civs, but with the exception of Germany, all of their UAs at least seem kind of interesting to me.

But if I had to chose just one, I'd choose America-I hate its UA. As an American myself, I can think of plenty of more interesting UAs (although at least half would be cynical and acerbic).

America - Boring and not really unique. Nothing really seems to stand out about them.

I think many of the vanilla civs are really plain and uninteresting. America, Japan and India are the ones I have no interest to play at all.

I don't like going for a domination victory, so any Civilization which is oriented towards it, I will skip.

I've always had a dislike for Greece. The leader is a complete jerk, the UU's are boring (Yeah, more combat strength *yawn*), and the UA is only marginally useful these days (spies keep my influence up just fine)

I won't play India, Denmark or America.

I saw someone mention Siam. They were actually the first civ I ever played and remain one of my absolute favorites to this day. The UA is really strong and the UB is among the top third of UBs for me, but it's all passive stuff that will mostly be felt by players who have spent countless hours playing and thinking about this game. I like strong, passive buffs in all games, because I like to try everything out, enough to see the difference. Plus they get the most beautiful UU in the game which also happens to be a medieval Giant Death Robot. Don't ever change Siam.

I despise Venice.

Thanks to a helpful member here, they are removed from my game from here on out.

Am I just bad at playing the Iroquois, or do they really suck? Their UA seems very situational, Longhouse and Mohawk Warriors look weak.

Not sure if serious. Iroquois are one of the best civs in the game. The UA means you often don't have to pay for road maintenance at all, because forests ARE your roads. This also means the enemy can't use your roads during war, and they have to slog through dense forest just to attack you. The UB also makes every Lumber Mill as good as a Mine with an extra food, and the Mohawk Warrior is a Swordsman that doesn't require iron and fights better in forest. This gives them FAST expansion capabilities, maintenance-free city connections, and early war dominance.

Generally speaking, I still haven't played with the mongols, which is weird. There just always seems to be a better choice. BNW civs only, I'm gonna get stick for this, but I'm not a fan of Venice. I just finished a game with them on emperor and the last 50 turns were just waiting for the diplo victory. The amount of money they get is ridiculous, but after settling your base and allying with every city state on the map, spreading my religion across the whole world and establishing world religion and ideology, I literally ran out of things to do and was just clicking next turn for the last 2 hours of the game....

I feel USA should be revamped. Although currently it serves as a very good learning civ for new players :)

Polynesia is not too weak but it's just weird, never liked them, never played them and annoyingly they always get into my games as AI :(

I used to like arabia but dont think they are as valuable post bnw. The aztecs and germany are also pretty lame. Also i really wish the dutch had a better unique ability, + happiness from the last copy of a resource you trade away is kind of ehhh especially since post BNW i have found that civs which you are friendly with will ACTUALLY trade luxury resources fairly one for another so you can just trade 1 extra luxury for one you dont have rather than the 4 odd luxuries and some coal the AI would always demand. Awesome civ besides but their UA has become offputting and could use a rework.

US - because it is not really a Civ, and their UA and units aren't fascinating at all.
Huns - many different reasons.

I don't understand why so many of you hate Spain so much? If you manage to find holy mountains +6 :c5faith: with their bonus it's +12 :c5faith: per tile, combine it with One with Nature pantheon it makes it +20 :c5faith: per turn, then you pick Holy Warriors and having fun with everyone. They are situational, but I guess you don't like RNG much. I just love to pull off something like this.

You kinda gave to luck out as Spain, and if you do you've basically already won the game. My ideal situation with Spain would probably be to spawn next to someone with a natural wonder and go conquer them. Feels a whole lot more fun than just being allowed to go settle a double natural wonder with money I got for finding it. It feels like that's taking all of the challenge out.

I noticed that civs with random elements are in general unpopular

-Germany, 50% random chance at barbarians
-Indonesia, Kris Swordsman random chance at negative promotion
-Spain, random natural wonders

Changes I think would make them better:

Germany: Make it an option like Pathfinder where you can choose whether or not you want to take control of the barbarian you kill. Maybe even throw on a free promotion for newly captured units

Indonesia: Get rid of Kris negative promotions. UA is already too map dependent. Candi is already terrain dependent. And then getting the Kris is dependent on iron. And for a unit with a short life span no less. Just way too messy

Spain: Really specific UA. Can't really be changed. You either love it or hate it

Indonesia: Get rid of Kris negative promotions. UA is already too map dependent. Candi is already terrain dependent. And then getting the Kris is dependent on iron. And for a unit with a short life span no less. Just way too messy

I would, personally, add a negative component to each promotion. Each one would be a trade-off of an awesome positive ability and some limiting factor (not just perfect promotions and purely bad ones). That would reward resourceful players who can specialize their swordsmen effectively.

Top Bottom