Most useless hack: 26 newspaper headlines

tupi

Warlord
Normally, game randomly selects from 14 joke headlines: from *NEWSA "Lions Defeat Gladiators 7-0!" to *NEWSN "Marie Antionette's diet secret: Cake!"

This hack adds such messages for all letters. I created special KING.TXT with additional headlines. Of couse, you can use this KING.TXT as a base and re-write them (my joke lines kinda stupid and meta) or create your own version from normal KING.TXT file. IMPORTANT: after every Return/Enter (0x0D), you should add "new line" symbol (0x0A). By default, notepad and I think most other text editors do not do that. I did it this way: first, I added 1 space symbol after every new Return and then I had changed these spaces to 0x0A in hex editor. Without these 0x0A, game will freeze when reading KING.TXT Actually, I think this is the main (and maybe even only?) reason why KING.TXT freezes the game for some people: this happens after some manual editing...

Patch for JCivED and edited KING.TXT in attach.
For manual hex editing:
find 83 c4 04 b8 0e 00 50
(its address is 0x4859E in v05)
and change 0e to 1a (to get all 26 letters)

EDIT: grammar fix in king.txt

Attachments

• patch206_26_newspaper_mess.xml
    820 bytes · Views: 14
  • KING.TXT
    8.9 KB · Views: 34
  • v.png
    v.png
    160.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Once again, it is nice to see how little by little you are improving this mythical game.
THANKS

Last edited:
Oh this is nice!

Far from useless, the flavour possibilities these add is great! Civilization ultimate edition in the making!

Top Bottom