MP Game - RewriteHistory - 18civ EARTH map historical start position

zenspiderz

Just some bloke..
Roll up, roll up for the MP event of a lifetime, BTS - History ReWrite! 18 civs battling out for world supremacy on a Huge Earth map starting in their historical origins...

Player Roster

Game full.

Japan - Levgre
Persia (Darius) - Elkad
Inca - Hoplosternum
Portugal - Indiasmoke
Zulu - Bamf226
Egypt - Whiplash
Arabia - Zenspiderz
Native Americans - Classical Hero
Russia (Peter) - Karayanev
England (Elizebeth) - Ian DC
India (Asoka) - Adyyc
Aztec - Provolution
Mongolia - mikeyia
Rome (Julius) - Ulfang
Viking - Slaze
Mali - Amask
Ottoman - Pexicus
China (Qin) - Hercules90

Game specs.
Map - Huge Earth
Speed - Epic
Barbs - On
Goodie huts - Off
Techtrading - Off
Choose Religion - On
Culture flipping cities after conquest - On
Random Events - On
Victory Conditions - ALL

CONECTION TYPE - HAMACHI

BTS Patch 3.13 + bhruics unofficial patch

The civs..

Players have a free choice of leaders and to some extent civs within the limitations set below.

NO creative leaders are allowed; 18 civs even on a huge map is pretty crowded. Creative leaders would have an unfair advantage especially in europe.

Europe (only 4 may be selected)

Spain OR Portugal
Rome
Viking
Germany OR Holy Roman Empire
England

- geostrat - Europe is small relative to the number of civs starting there but the land is above average in quality. Expect fierce competition culturally and militarily from the start. Barbs won't trouble europe much tho.

Africa

Mali
Egypt
Zulu

- geostrat - More space than europe but a lot of land is poor, sahara desert, jungles and plains.

Asia

Byzantine OR Ottoman
Arabia
Persia
India
Russia
Mongolia
China
Japan

- geostrat - Lots of space but again much of the land is poor, desert, mountains, tundra. Watch out for barbs.

Americas

Aztec
Inca OR Mayan
Native Americans

-geostrat - quite a lot of space for the number of civs, some of the land is good but the whole continent is isolated from the other continents.

Further Details will be added later..

I'm interested.

I've never played an earth map; but I've played a few huge fractals and continents with 18 and they were very crowded.

Great your in.

RE: crowded

This shouldn't be too bad although europe is pretty tight. However europe has probably the best land even though there isn't too much of it.

A little later I will post a geostrategic guide to the various civs and locations to better help players decide which civ they want.

Interested. American landmass please, probably as Native Americans.

Native American but not American as a civ choice?

Does "free choice of leaders" mean unrestricted leaders? (ghandi of native america, etc).

Interested. American landmass please, probably as Native Americans.

Native American but not American as a civ choice?

Does "free choice of leaders" mean unrestricted leaders? (ghandi of native america, etc).

ok. I had thought about having americans start on the east coast and NA on the west.. but in the end I decided against; total realism is impossible but the americans landed in the New World (as {mostly} european colonists) in 1700 or thereabouts and not 3000 BC!

sorry for the ambiguity free choice of leaders (within the specific limits) means if you want to play france you can have de Gaulle or Napoleon but not Louis because he is creative. It does not mean unrestricted.

Shall I put you down for NA (Sitting Bull) then?

Actually, I'm gonna change up completely and go with Darius of Persia

I'd like to play.

Are you sure you don't mean Mayans or Aztecs (both Central America) rather than Mayans or Incans (who are presumably around Peru in South America).

Anyway. I would like to have a go as the Incans. Which solves the problem anyway :)

I strongly urge you to turn off all Tech trading. Basically without tech trading allies you will lose where they are allowed. So everyone has them they are the ultimate 'no brainer'. One ally means you tech at twice the pace. Two at three times etc. Not only is the speed of advances huge - even on epic. But you are likely to form these alliances very early. Instead of the Asian powers fighting each other they will have a cosy tech alliance instead. Likewise in Africa and in the Americas.

As players form tech alliances (or lose) the no brokering is irrelevent.

On an Earth map everyone knows where everyone is and who their neighbours are. There will be plenty of diplomacy involved around wars and keeping the stronger powers in check. You won't need tech trades to keep people talking to each other.

I strongly urge you to turn off all Tech trading.

Agreed. Turning off brokering solves almost nothing in multiplayer, except for making sure the 3 guys in the Americas end up behind due to lack of trading partners.

Tech alliances is part of the reason I gave up my original idea of playing North America. (but if it gets changed to no-trading, I'll stay with persia anyway)

I'd like to play.

Are you sure you don't mean Mayans or Aztecs (both Central America) rather than Mayans or Incans (who are presumably around Peru in South America).

Anyway. I would like to have a go as the Incans. Which solves the problem anyway :)

I strongly urge you to turn off all Tech trading. Basically without tech trading allies you will lose where they are allowed. So everyone has them they are the ultimate 'no brainer'. One ally means you tech at twice the pace. Two at three times etc. Not only is the speed of advances huge - even on epic. But you are likely to form these alliances very early. Instead of the Asian powers fighting each other they will have a cosy tech alliance instead. Likewise in Africa and in the Americas.

As players form tech alliances (or lose) the no brokering is irrelevent.

On an Earth map everyone knows where everyone is and who their neighbours are. There will be plenty of diplomacy involved around wars and keeping the stronger powers in check. You won't need tech trades to keep people talking to each other.
Mayans/Incans/Aztecs

I don't know very well the historical locations of the SA civs so I was inclined to give Aztecs the amazonian jungles due to the jaquars and thus put either mayans or incans in central america. I can change this to Inca (South america) and Maya OR Aztec (central america) if you wish.

Techtrading

Yeah I had my doubts about having tech trading allowed but i intend this game to be more of a bit of fun rather than a fair competition. Balance is a hard thing to achieve.

Historically techtrading IS the reason why the old world developed faster than the americas. EG. the middle eastern people invented writing and whoosh before you know it writing has spread to the far corners of the Eurasian/African landmass. As you guessed I disallowed tech brokering to try and slow this tendancy.

But still where the americas suffer from lack of trading partners they gain in security and room for expansion, at least until galleons full of gun-toting land starved europeans show up ;). Disallowing tech trading also disallows tech extorting which is one of the main ways the mongols for example developed.

Another reason I am inclined to allow tech trading is to give jam packed europe a little advantage. There is very little room for expansion in europe so development will suffer but for tech trading.

If the I am persuaded to disallow any tech trading then I think I will have to take out 1 civ from europe and africa and put two more into asia (korea and arabia probably).

I like the idea of earth game but epic speed in pitboss would take 2 years to finish....tooooo long for me.

By the way Aztecs/Mayans were central American Incas south..

I like the idea of earth game but epic speed in pitboss would take 2 years to finish....tooooo long for me.

By the way Aztecs/Mayans were central American Incas south..

Yeah I know that's why I am hoping that some sessions can be orgainsed to speed things up. I know with 18civs that will be difficult. I am willing to host this game for 2 years or more if it comes to that. Players can come and go as they please. AIs will take over in the mean time and new players can come in and take over as they wish. This game is intended as a fun simulation rather than a competition for prizes or whatever.

Hi Zenspider,

Historically the Aztecs were in Southern Mexico; the Mayans were in roughly modern day Guatamala in Central America (and were earlier than the Aztecs, not sure if they were even still going by the time the Aztecs were there). The Incans were on the West Coast of South America - So Peru, north Chile, Colombia & Ecuador.

Incans and Aztecs were the main nations conquered by Spain in the New World.

I still urge you to turn off tech trading. But if you are really keen on it then please do something about tech pace. I am not sure if there is a 'slow' tech button but you have to budget for nations teching many times quicker than in single player. This changes the game as once alphabet is found tech discoveries race along. Far faster than city and unit production. You can soon build Knights, Crossbows and Caravels. America won’t be cut off for long :) But you can't build many before they are obsoleted by the next generation. Likewise with the buildings. You can build Universities and Banks but your cities are only the size where they would normally be building Markets and Courthouses. Does difficulty level slow tech research?

I can see why you would like to have people more advanced than others for the theme. Even if its not so much fun for those who are designed as loser powers :lol: But really the way you will get nations fighting with different techs is if you ban tech trading. Then you can have people with Catapults and Longbowmen being attacked by Gunpowder armies. Some nations will simply be better played (or much luckier). It is just it may not be Europe invading the Americas but the other way around. Or an advanced China racing through Russia and on in to Europe or Africa.

If you think no tech trading boosts the Americas too much then add in an extra power there. Then there will be more competition for space. Either have the US (East coast USA with American Indians in the Rockies and Aztecs/Mayans closer to Panama and Incans starting in north Chile rather than Colombia).

Or have both Mayans & Aztecs. The Aztecs in north Mexico and Mayans close to Panama and the Incans in the south of their range. Wiki has nice maps of where these Empires all where but you can always shift their starts around a bit to make the game work.

Europe is quite likely to consolidate fairly quickly. You may want to consider removing Carthage (and there is your spare nation for the Americas). That will allow Rome & Spain/Portugal to go to North Africa rather than fight it out just in Europe. But the winners of any European early rushing obviously get two or more Capitals and so be reasonably tough.

You seem to be wanting a game which has a fairly slow build up (Epic speed) and focusing on war (Epic speed allows more moves / attacks per tech advance). Yet tech trading will completely reverse this.

Still it is your game!

I'm interested in playing. I don't know that I can last 2 years in one game, but I'm willing to start it off. I'd like to play the Zulus if they are still available.

Hi Zenspider,

Historically the ..... Yet tech trading will completely reverse this.

Still it is your game!

Ok You talked me into it. Tech trading will be disabled. As to Carthage you must be reading my mind.. :scan: Carthage's start is very poor and historically was a bit of a flash in the pan anyway. So Carthage will be deleted and Arabia enabled for Asia in addition to Persia so that we still have 18civs.

Also I have removed the option for france/celts since someone has claimed portugal, there isn't room for both.

Top Bottom