[MULT] Pitboss Worldbuilding Challenge REBOOT: Discussion Thread

Speaking of, how do you take pictures like that, of the capital I mean? Also nice update :goodjob:

I just zoomed in as far as I could and took a picture. I then cropped it to remove the minimap, etc. And then I sent it to dot80, and he edited out the city bar and name.

Nice update Heerlo :)

I just use copy-paste in paint to cover up the bar with surrounding textures. Then I use a myriad of different tools from Pixlr (online free photoshop) to smooth out the textures to make it look nice. It actually is easier than it seems. Annoying though, that they don't just have a 'bare map' feature like they do in Civ 4.

Thank you all. :) You've all done great so far too. :goodjob:

Just one thing I wanted to mention: We should probably decide how much space each tile in this world represents, because at some point in our stories we may need to use miles and such.

Edit: Also, good job on your first part, Majah!

If we want to get unnecessarily mathematical, once the world has been circumnavigated we could count the number of tiles the map is "long" and then divide the circumference of Earth at the equator by the number of tiles. This then should give us the rough size of a tile.
Alternatively we can just make up a number.

I couldn't see the picture, but nice beginning post, anyway. :goodjob:

Okay, so, running with those numbers, each hex is about 500 kilometers across, which I'd say is too much. So, do we just want to make up a number for their length, like maybe 200 or 300 kilometers, and then assume that this world is just slightly smaller than ours?
Also, good first post, @sh3ba.

Okay, so, running with those numbers, each hex is about 500 kilometers across, which I'd say is too much. So, do we just want to make up a number for their length, like maybe 200 or 300 kilometers, and then assume that this world is just slightly smaller than ours?

That'd be fine with me. I just kinda wanted us to set a standard for the length of the tiles.

Great posts everyone :)

I think the 200/300km long hexes sound good.

I am going to be fudging the timeline a bit for my next story. For Avilis to still be living, and be the age I want, I'll be jumping back to the 3920s. Luckily I'm the only one who has dated my post, so as far as the story is concerned we could still be back then.

I was thinking however, when we get further into the game, we will want leaders to survive longer than three in game turns. In a democracy that would translate really only to one turn per leader. Maybe we could agree on a separate aging time for characters? 5 years per turn? 10 years per turn? Or maybe we could work in a more dynamic aging time. So for times like right now, characters age like normal, but in times of war or turmoil, they age slower (speed to be determined at the time).

Honestly I think that if we go too in-depth it will ruin the "free" atmosphere you've created for the story writing.

^ This. If we're trying to tell a story then we need to ignore parts of Civ gameplay that don't make any sense for a story - The dates are a key example of this in my opinion as it makes creating any form of character impossible.

Civ armies should decide battles, some civ trading should decide trade deals. But a timeline should be decided independently of the turn counter. Sure technologies may seem potentially silly but belief can be suspended for a good story and we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

k so i am gonna leave for camp (which is fun, but sad cuz i wont be able to write) and i am gonna need a person to temporary play as my civ. here is some things for you, whoever it is:

*no writing for me.
*take pictures whenever relevant
*explore anyway
*go with liberty
*build a scout and possibly then a shrine or wonder
*make sure when i have a 2nd citizen it works the other stone tile
*leave the tech tree alone (unless if i forgot to make it set a path)

so yea. you start sunday or monday temporary new guy. i will be tell you if i made a move on here on sunday.

Can you try and find a substitute for you? We don't have any signed up yet so currently there is no one to sub for you, unless somebody from among us volunteers.

Is it possible for one of us already in the game to do it? I'd be willing to, if it is.

I think so. When you join the lobby you can hit 'switch to this player' button and you should be able to change to his civ.

Yeah, if you wanted to, Heerlo, go ahead; otherwise, maybe see if Redwings or someone wanted to sub in briefly?

Top Bottom