Multi-Player question

Mattygerst

Prince
Hey guys.

Long, long time civ player here. Really, though, I've basically only played single player with the Better AI mod, which makes the game much more enjoyable and competitive. But lately I've started playing a lot online, using Gamespy (Internet Games part - have never used Direct LAN, etc.).

A few questions regarding that, though:

#1 - Is there someone, via this site, that players gather and play games in which I could participate in other than Gamespy?

#2 - The frustrating part of Gamespy is there are SO many players that leave mid game, or leave the second something goes against them. The reason I'm asking question #1...is because I'm wanting to know if there are games where people will play the game - like 4-5+ player/game, and then, when it is a reasonable point to rest, or someone has to go - they save the game, and then the same players continue the game lately? I'm basically looking for IronMan games. I have the time to participate and am interested if anyone else sets up and plays these games & if I could participate.

#3 - PREFERABLY, but not required...would like to play in a game WITHOUT simultaneous turns. This allows the best tactician to win...not the fastest finger. So, basically, does anyone gather and make games with 4+ players that could last for days (saved, of course), etc?

#4 - I play Civ BTS, 3.19 & can implement any mod necessary...Better AI preferred because it mostly eliminates the AI's ineptness. But will play vanilla BTS if necessary to compete against other players

Haha, basically, I'm looking for the group of players that is interested in playing long-term games. Not just quitting when they realize it might be difficult to win. Hopefully there is and I'd enjoy joining up and playing.

Thanks guys,
Matt

Here on civfanatics there is not too much multiplayering going on, which is a shame btw, civ4 best multiplayer civ experience ever. There are frequent pitbosses, organised on a subforum here, which are slow games not via gamespy (typically 1 move/day). You can allways try to get people from here to play in a different game set up, but it may be hard.

On quitting though; Do you like a game when you know you are going to lose? People dont like to waste an hour just to see a slow death. On one hand the player could help other players win or lose, but on the other hand, teaming up in ffas is often frowned at, to put it softly.

#1 - Is there someone, via this site, that players gather and play games in which I could participate in other than Gamespy?

I'm not aware of a site that has a lobby structure where people can log in quite like Game Spy - but there are other sites that coordinate games.

http://www.civmultiplayer.com/
http://civ4.civplayers.com/

Would be good places to start... there is another one that escapes me.....

If you lurk around the Multiplayer, and Multiplayer/Pitboss Board, you'll eventually hear of someone starting a "PitBoss" game. Basically one player hosts the game, and the others use Direct IP connection to link up.

#2 - The frustrating part of Gamespy is there are SO many players that leave mid game, or leave the second something goes against them. The reason I'm asking question #1...is because I'm wanting to know if there are games where people will play the game - like 4-5+ player/game, and then, when it is a reasonable point to rest, or someone has to go - they save the game, and then the same players continue the game lately? I'm basically looking for IronMan games. I have the time to participate and am interested if anyone else sets up and plays these games & if I could participate.

I think that danger lurks in all games, but people have "reputations" to uphold on these boards and the above mentioned links, and don't want to be known as quitters, because they won't get into other games, so I think the danger is considerably less.

#3 - PREFERABLY, but not required...would like to play in a game WITHOUT simultaneous turns. This allows the best tactician to win...not the fastest finger. So, basically, does anyone gather and make games with 4+ players that could last for days (saved, of course), etc?

From what I can tell 95% of the games are Simultaneous turns - anything else is basically playing the game be email - which is SLOW...

That being said, there are usually some standards to mitigate the whole double move thing, etc...

#4 - I play Civ BTS, 3.19 & can implement any mod necessary...Better AI preferred because it mostly eliminates the AI's ineptness. But will play vanilla BTS if necessary to compete against other players

I think most games don't have AIs in them at all - or the AI is used only if someone does bail. While some Multi-Games use different MODS, not everyone one uses them. Most are just patched up to the latest version of BTS - currently 3.19.

However, I have seen a handful of games that specify XYZ Mod or whatever to be played.

Haha, basically, I'm looking for the group of players that is interested in playing long-term games. Not just quitting when they realize it might be difficult to win. Hopefully there is and I'd enjoy joining up and playing.

Keep doing what your doing and tracking the boards - jumping in as a sub is good to do as well - because at least you get your name out there.

I'm learning the ins and outs of hosting a Pitboss game - so keep watching, maybe by the weekend I'll know enough to start recruiting players....

Sarge

The fact that open lobby MP games tend to attract quitters is a major reason that we formed Civplayers(formerly Civ3players and Civ4players) starting way back when Civ3 Play the World first came out. We are still a very active community, although the fast paced games played by league players are not for everyone and certainly are nothing like playing SP, we do have a set off mature rules that keep the sand box fair and discourage quiting and other forms of cheating.

CS

Top Bottom