Multiplayer crash! Please help

jcrandall121

Chieftain
Does anybody have any fixes for CIV3 multiplayer through Wine on Ubuntu 12.04? I can start up the game and play singleplayer, but when i go to play multiplayer I can go to the online lobby but the game crashes my computer when the game starts up (it crashes before the game can even load). When I attempt to host I can set up the game but when I try to start it the same happens as when I try to join.

When you get here, look at Civilization Fanatics' Forums> Civilization III, click on that. Now you can see a list of sub forums for civ3. Click on Tech Support, second thread is multi-player crashes. You're welcome.

Not to sidestep the problem, but... do you know if it's working via your Internet connection on Windows? Civ3 wasn't designed for Linux, and hardly anyone here plays it on Linux, so it might be difficult to find someone who can help. That also means this isn't really a bug, at least for Civ3 - might be a bug for Wine.

There is a thread for Civ3 on Linux, although it's kind of old. You might find something in there.

What I found on a quick scan isn't promising:

Hey, I can't get MP working on Conquests with Linux. :(

I'm not sure if it's even possible.

The game CTDs when I go to host a game, and freezes when I try to join a game.

Singleplayer runs great, but what's the point of SP when you have two machines and a friend?

Dan O.

I didn't see any replies to this post, so my guess is you're probably out of luck... should work in Windows, though.

Top Bottom