Multiplayer, Should I Do It?

• Fo Schizzle (Yes)

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Nein!

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

CaterpillarKing

Conqueror of Cacoons
I'm not sure if I should play online, I never have. Any tips? Help? Preferences?

Let's say, after at least 200h in single player.

It's there to just add some competitiveness and deepness.

Lot's of additional drowbacks take place: turn time, lags, leavers, ragers, idiots, etc, etc, etc.

Yes, give a shot - just make sure to have enough time and be prepared for possible (sadly still highly prevalent) technical issues.

How long is an average game?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

U may die quickly. If you stick it to the end I would say maybe 8 hours ?
People usually play small map quick speed with 6 people.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

U may die quickly. If you stick it to the end I would say maybe 8 hours ?
People usually play small map quick speed with 6 people.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Is that 8 hours with those settings?

multiplayer is far better than single player. You will learn a lot faster too. No more taking advantage of a mindless AI. The real strategy comes in when you play vs humans.

Moderator Action: You are more likely to get a useful range of responses from MP players in the Multiplayer forum. Thread moved.

I'm not sure if I should play online, I never have. Any tips? Help? Preferences?

rly, if u arent sure better dont.
Chances are pretty high that u ll be just another quitter.

For the slim chance that u arent, chances that others will quit in your games are even higher.

Here is the way to know if you should play online: do you have a need to win every game? If you expect to win every game, like most people like to do vs the AI, then you will find MP a big hit to your ego. But if you want to get better and play a game rich in strategy and ideas, and you don't need to win all the time, then MP is for you!

Here is the way to know if you should play online: do you have a need to win every game? If you expect to win every game, like most people like to do vs the AI, then you will find MP a big hit to your ego. But if you want to get better and play a game rich in strategy and ideas, and you don't need to win all the time, then MP is for you!

I kind of am like that but I've been getting alot better at not wanting to win all the time. I just don't like being clobbered.

For the slim chance that u arent, chances that others will quit in your games are even higher.

You complain that there arent enough multiplayers and yet you try and scare them away every chance you get. Really? Why?

I kind of am like that but I've been getting alot better at not wanting to win all the time. I just don't like being clobbered.

You will get clobbered. Plenty. Suck it up and keep trying, in the end you might actually learn something. Find the right group of players (good but still friendly) and learn from every mistake, you will make quite a few. Humans can be quite devious but once you learn to never trust them you'll do fine.

You asked about the time for each game. 6-8 hours for 6 player FFA, unless you decide to save and continue. Duels can take 1-2 depending on how good/bad you are.

You will get clobbered. Plenty. Suck it up and keep trying, in the end you might actually learn something. Find the right group of players (good but still friendly) and learn from every mistake, you will make quite a few. Humans can be quite devious but once you learn to never trust them you'll do fine.

You asked about the time for each game. 6-8 hours for 6 player FFA, unless you decide to save and continue. Duels can take 1-2 depending on how good/bad you are.

Hahaha I love your brashness :lol: thanks. I know I will make a lot of mistakes. Problem is school takes up all my weekday time and I'm not sure how happy everyone around me would be if I played for hours with no break. :p

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hahaha I love your brashness :lol: thanks. I know I will make a lot of mistakes. Problem is school takes up all my weekday time and I'm not sure how happy everyone around me would be if I played for hours with no break. :p

There are ways around it. You may have to play odd hours, but once you find your group its still enjoyable. I played in Onan's group (dude here on the mp forum) and I had to play 9 am saturday mornings because he was in NZ and picked the game time. Wasnt even worst off. Tabarnak played the same games at, what, 4 am?
Nowdays I mostly play GMR instead.

Best way is to find a group from the same timezone, but because there are so few multiplayers you sometimes have to adjust a little because lets face it, you'd rather be playing with people on your friends list rather than randoms. Tommynt is right about that. Plenty of quitters in random games.

Why would you want to discourage people from joining the multiplayer community? For all you know he could be the next merle in 2 years. Everyone should try it out. As it stands, 90% of civ players do not play online. This needs to change.

If the game gets a larger player base, you have a larger pool for possibly skilled people to pop up. Just like in sports a larger school has the best odds of finding the best players because it's a numbers game.

There are ways around it. You may have to play odd hours, but once you find your group its still enjoyable. I played in Onan's group (dude here on the mp forum) and I had to play 9 am saturday mornings because he was in NZ and picked the game time. Wasnt even worst off. Tabarnak played the same games at, what, 4 am?
Nowdays I mostly play GMR instead.

Best way is to find a group from the same timezone, but because there are so few multiplayers you sometimes have to adjust a little because lets face it, you'd rather be playing with people on your friends list rather than randoms. Tommynt is right about that. Plenty of quitters in random games.

Yeah, well that makes sense. I guess I need to plan it out a bit eh? So how long is one of your games? Plus what is GMR?

I d like to hear from the topic starter how his 1. games went and if he continues to try.

But i m pretty sure he ll be gone by then.

What do you mean 1. games?

Yeah, well that makes sense. I guess I need to plan it out a bit eh? So how long is one of your games? Plus what is GMR?

What do you mean 1. games?

You can try playing a couple public games and see how it goes. I remember my first few games going alright. Maybe that's why I kept playing the game.

I recommend 6 player FFA, if a couple of people quit there's still other people around. Just to get a little experience vs humans.

If the games don't work out or you get crushed don't be discouraged. When you meet people in games that are decent players and not trolls or leavers add them to your friend list. After a while you will have a list of people you will enjoy playing with.

That's basically what I did and still do. 90% of my play time has been with the public.

You can try playing a couple public games and see how it goes. I remember my first few games going alright. Maybe that's why I kept playing the game.

I recommend 6 player FFA, if a couple of people quit there's still other people around. Just to get a little experience vs humans.

If the games don't work out or you get crushed don't be discouraged. When you meet people in games that are decent players and not trolls or leavers add them to your friend list. After a while you will have a list of people you will enjoy playing with.

That's basically what I did and still do. 90% of my play time has been with the public.

I don't know what any of these acronyms mean. FFA? And okay that makes alot of sense. The biggest issue is seriously time because I'm an honors level high school student that plays soccer. I really hope my first time is fun. Can you communicate with opponents? I would assume so.

I don't know what any of these acronyms mean. FFA? And okay that makes alot of sense. The biggest issue is seriously time because I'm an honors level high school student that plays soccer. I really hope my first time is fun. Can you communicate with opponents? I would assume so.

FFA means Free For All which is pretty standard. There are also duels(1v1) and team games(2v2,3v3,4v4). Start a game with ample time, say 6 hours before bed time and you will be fine.

Top Bottom