Multiplayer setup guide

I've yet to try multiplayer, but I'm curious, does it typically require port forwarding? It's been a long time since I had to set that up for a new game... Halo back in the mid-2000s, at least for hosting a map. I think I had to use Hamachi for EU3 multiplayer?

I'm a bit surprised they haven't used Steam's multiplayer option, although perhaps that means a GOG launch will be forthcoming? Are they using Nakama, which some other Paradox titles support, and if so is that what requires the port forwarding? I guess more to the point, is there a plan to migrate to something more seamless?

In the end, while I'm surprised just how many of the Steam reviews have mentioned this, it is relevant if a game's going to support multiplayer. I don't mind setting up port forwarding on my router, but I don't fancy explaining how to do it to my less technical friends, particularly as the ones I'd most likely be playing with likely have different routers, and are the ones who live too far away for LAN parties to be convenient, and thus too far away for me to swing by their place to forward the ports.

They should probably link to this documentation in-game in the meantime. Thanks to The_J, it's easy to find if you're on CivFanatics, but most of Millennia's audience is not yet on the forums.

Top Bottom