Multiplayer trading problems

probablecause

Chieftain
Greetings! I've found this website extremely helpful in the past, and now I'm hoping that someone can help me out with this problem.

When playing multiplayer games, everything is fine up until around 1000 AD. After that, trades no longer expire after 20 turns. The deals still appear both in the foreign advisor screen and in the active deals list, but without the "turns remaining" numbers beside them. If I try to cancel such a deal, I automatically declare war on the civ with whom I am negotiating. This happens whether the civ in question is human or AI. If the game is loaded up in single player mode, the deals can be canceled as usual, so it appears to be a problem specific to multiplayer. Does anyone have any insights into this issue?

I can probably locate a saved game if that would help, though as I said this appears to happen only in multiplayer mode.

Hi pc. Nobody comes in here much. The creation and customization forums are much more often visited.

Its not just multiplayer mode; this has happened to me in epic games as well. I don't think its unique to any type of game or scenario. It seems like when the AI doesn't feel like stopping the trade agreement, it goes on indefinately, until they do feel like ending it.
I haven't tested this but one idea is, after 20 turns (21 to be safe), severe the trade route to the other civ. If its a road, pillage it (on your or nuetral territory). Sell whatever harbor has access to there's (probably all of them). Then try trading with them or their neighbors later, and see if they're pissed and complain about broken deals in the past. If they don't stop trading with you, that may be the only way to end the deal with war or a reputation hit.

Thanks for the reply. Noticed that this was not the most active forum, but it did seem like the appropriate place for my post.

I thought about the pillaging strategy, but I haven't actually gotten around to trying it yet. Whether or not it works, it's certainly an annoying little glitch.

Yeah, tell me about it.
But another thing you can do is make sure you're trading for anothe Per turn item. Maybe have the AI or player toss in 1 gold per turn, plus whatever else you're trading. After 20 turns, the Ai will probably end the deal (they hate Gpt deals, they also stop them when it would put them in negative cash flow, regardless of how much bank they have). Or ideally, trade for some lux or resource you want. Either way, even if they don't end the deal in a timely manner, you get some compensation.
I remember one time I thought I'd be a nice guy and give the Ethiopians some iron for nothing. Well they took my hospitality too far! give em an inch, and they take a mile..

Top Bottom