Multiplayer - Why the AI doesn't do anything?

Jim Bro

Emperor of Quebec
Hi all,

I do not play civ5 anymore on single player as I'm bored of it. However, I started recently a few MP games with my buds with Brave New World. I hated the fact that trans-continental attacks were close to never happening in this game and I expected the issue to be adressed with the latest expansion. It seems that only it isn't the case but the AI in MP games doesn't denounce and doesn't declare war either. I play on warlord difficulty most of the time so I thought maybe that's cuz the game's too easy. I'm playing on king difficulty now and no AI ever declared war against us so far. Is this normal?

Yes, the AI is very passive and easily distracted even if they do decide to attack. A modest army will usually discourage the majority of attacks on most difficulties.

This is the most annoying thing about casual multiplayer IMO.

We can have deity level AI and they just do....nothing.

Why do you want AI in a multiplayer game?

an AI is a (piss poor) human replacement so it's puzzling that you want AI when you have humans.

because I don't want to play with people that I don't know.

besides, it's impossible to plan games with more than 4 people because everyone wants to play when they really want to, when they have enough sleep, when they have something to drink, when their girlfriends gave them permission, when their grocery is done, etc.

so the AI just sit and wait? thanks for answering.

you'll have to wait for the singularity to get AIs that play on a human level.

I don't expect them to play as good as humans but I'm just surprised that they never

- denounce
- declare war
- launch attacks overseas.

Did someone see them do that?

The point being is that the complexity required to make an AI that deals with a single human player, let alone multiple human players at once is such that the implementation will easily be not distinguishable from a completely random agent (hence the many threads questioning AI's behaviour on this forum).

Chess has 6 pieces and a very limited set of possible moves yet it took half a century of research, implementations and a giant company to get something decent.

Don't expect something from an AI that is under pressure to get released in 2 years.

Various people will claim to "fix" the AI by changing various behaviours, but they never actually do. I suppose you can turn to one of these fixers to make the AI do what you need in a fashion not distinguishable from being random.

Yeah sure as I said, you can have AIs that are so stupid, if that's what you want.

Yeah sure as I said, you can have AIs that are so stupid, if that's what you want.

That's not what he's asking.

He's asking why the AI isn't initiating behaviors in MP as it does in SP. We're not talking about the quality of the AI here, you guys are missing the point. The point is that in MP the AI is completely passive. It is not that way in SP.

exactly, the AI is different in SP and MP games. that's the point of my questioning. Civjou, I'm not arguing about if the AI is intelligent or not... I just want to know if they declare war/denounce/attack us overseas in MP games.

exactly, the AI is different in SP and MP games. that's the point of my questioning. Civjou, I'm not arguing about if the AI is intelligent or not... I just want to know if they declare war/denounce/attack us overseas in MP games.

They do not. Follow my link a couple posts up, that'll set you up with what you're looking for. It's been a great boon to my MP activities.

Same problem with me Jim, I have a mac so I can't install that mod. Best thing for you to do would be join the No Quitters steam group to find some great multiplayer games.

Just wanted to know for perhaps a few games but hey, the developers prefer new civs and archeologists and trade routes instead of fixing an obvious AI problem. I think I'm gonna turn towards: Europa Universalis 4 and Total War Napoleon.

Top Bottom