Musical Themes Wishlist

Just for Japan. It fits modern Japan very well. Still conservatively traditional in many areas but with large influence from western cultures particularly the US, UK, and Germany. They aren't in the video but they also have members that play the traditional flute, the horizontal harp, and a singer.

I agree that it would've been cool if Geoff Knorr worked with them to produce the Japanese themes.

My fault: the actual cut is called 'Spring in Toledo" it's from the 1997 album Gypsy Fusion by the group NovaMenco, part of the 'Nuevo Flaminco' style offshoot of traditional flaminco music.
For more traditional Scots music I suggest any of the instrumental pieces from Boys of the Lough (actually, Shetlands origin, so there is some Norwegian influence there as well) or Tannahill Weavers or Silly Wizard. All three groups play a mix of traditional voice and instrumental pieces along with more 'modern' (i.e - since the 18th century) Scots music.

Do you know if Spring in Toledo is copyrighted or not?

So Boys of the Lough, Tannahill Weavers, and Silly Wizard perform a lot of old Scottish folk music? I gotta check them out!

Do you know if Spring in Toledo is copyrighted or not?

I have long since lost the notes that came with the CD, but, apparently, we just missed out: the Nova Menco brothers copyrighted the song (it is original to them) back in 1997 in the USA and Russia where the original album/CD was simultaneously released (which implies a flamenco culture in Russia that is news to me!), SoundExchange was collecting royalties for downloads of the song in 2007, but then the copyright lapsed and, just our luck, it has been renewed by Apple as of 2019.
So, yes, it is now copyrighted again. Drat!

So Boys of the Lough, Tannahill Weavers, and Silly Wizard perform a lot of old Scottish folk music? I gotta check them out!

Also, as I mentioned, any of Alasdair Fraser's instrumental pieces. Also Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span both 'milk' the older Scots/Irish/English folk traditions, but their renditions are very 'modernized' - great music, but not often in the style of the originals!

In the Sámi design I posted to the design-a-civ6 thread, I suggested Máze as a theme. Thought I could explain why in this thread.

Spoiler Máze (this recording actually kind of sounds like an atomic era theme) :

I chose this because the song's title and contents (presumably, I don't speak Northern Sámi and can't read the emotions of a joik very well) refer to the village of Máze (Masi) in Norway. In the 70s and 80s, the Norwegian government began planning for the construction of a dam and hydroelectric power plant on the nearby Alta river, which would create an artificial lake and completely flood Máze, rendering it uninhabitable. What followed became known as the Alta controversy, consisting of massive protests from the Sámi population (often by physically blocking construction workers and their vehicles), and at one point the largest concentration of Norwegian police officers deployed after the war were sent to disperse them. The power plant was eventually built, albeit with changed plans, meaning that Máze and its surrounding area were not flooded.

The song sort of embodies the Sámi struggle not just against the Norwegian government, but government actors from the four countries they are native to in general, and also represents an important moment in Sámi history. That's why I think it would be a good fit.

I've recently come across a tune called Gran Vals. I like the tune, and I think it would be interesting to hear in Civ as a theme for the Spanish Empire. Methinks a certain part of it is recognisable to pretty much everyone...

Interestingly enough, it was written by Francisco Tárrega, a Spanish guitar composer and player, who also composed Recuerdos de la Alhambra, the very same piece that Spain uses for its theme in Civ VI.

for italy:
la donna è mobile, Rigoletto, G. Verdi

funiculì funiculà, traditional neapolitan song

va pensiero, Nabucco, G. Verdi

canto degli italiani, italian national anthem, G. Mameli

for italy:
la donna è mobile, Rigoletto, G. Verdi

funiculì funiculà, traditional neapolitan song

va pensiero, Nabucco, G. Verdi

canto degli italiani, italian national anthem, G. Mameli
Nice. I always imagined Italy getting some sort of opera music myself. It seemed... Fitting, for some reason.

I like Va Pensiero out of these most myself. Italy could definitely join the Ottomans and the Russians to the themes where singing is present.

Last edited:
I'm making music in the civ 6 progression of eras I could make a few of these. They won't be played by an actual symphonic orchestra but I can get it to sound pretty good with work.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I had some ideas.

For Hawaii, they could use Kaulana Na Pua

For Texas:
Somewhere Down in Texas - George Strait

Amarillo by Morning - George Strait

Yellow Rose of Texas

Since a snippet of La Brabançonne (the Belgian national anthem) is used in Gaul's theme, as much as I don't like the idea of using current national anthems for civ themes, current national anthems could be suggested.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I had some ideas.
For Ontario:

A Place to Stand, A Place to Grow
This could be the Industrial-Era theme

Lyrics to the above:
This could be the Atomic-Era theme

Yes, A Place to Stand, A Place to Grow is Ontario's unofficial provincial anthem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom