Musical Themes Wishlist

The British, obviously, since they used it first. :p
My condolences to the British, though it can't be worse than Civ6's dreary rendition of "Scarborough Fair." :p (It's a lovely song, but somehow Civ6 has made it incredibly irksome. :p )

I find it a frightful dirge, and I have no idea why it became so popular, to the extent that everyone decided to copy it for their own proto-anthems.
Is there a nation whose anthem isn't frightful? Actually, yes: France. Everyone should have an anthem that talks about irrigating the fields with the blood of the impure. :lol: "Deutschlandlied" isn't too bad, I guess.

My ears are not prepared for such an assault. :cringe:

Only if it is the Hendrix version for all eras, then it will be acceptable.

There are much better choices as well: Battle Hymn of the Republic, My Country Tis of Thee, Stars and Stripes Forever. Heck the US didn't have a national anthem until it was pointed out by Ripley's in the 20th century.

There are much better choices as well: Battle Hymn of the Republic, My Country Tis of Thee, Stars and Stripes Forever. Heck the US didn't have a national anthem until it was pointed out by Ripley's in the 20th century.
While I consider myself moderately patriotic, most patriotic music makes me cringe--it's all either Sousa-esque brass or country. :p Let's see the folk thing continue; there are plenty of great folk songs to choose from. :p

Did you know that My Country Tis of Thee shares the same tune as God Save the King/Queen?

This would lead to some non-Americans wondering why would the British anthem be used for the United States.

While I consider myself moderately patriotic, most patriotic music makes me cringe--it's all either Sousa-esque brass or country. :p Let's see the folk thing continue; there are plenty of great folk songs to choose from. :p

Devil Went Down to Georgia, Camptown Races, and Hard Rock Candy Mountain it is then. :crazyeye:

Devil Went Down to Georgia, Camptown Races, and Hard Rock Candy Mountain it is then. :crazyeye:
I was hoping more for something like "Down to the River to Pray" or "St. James Infirmary Blues" or "Will the Circle Be Unbroken"... :p

EDIT: Just looked at this list and hasten to add that two BioShock Infinite references is completely coincidental. :p

Did you know that My Country Tis of Thee shares the same tune as God Save the King/Queen?

This would lead to some non-Americans wondering why would the British anthem be used for the United States.

That melody has been used for just about everone’s national anthem over the years. It’s still used in Norway and Liechtenstein.

It used to be Germany’s: “Heil dir im Siegerkranz.”

It used to be Russia’s: “Molitva ruskikh.”

It also used to be Sweden’s, Greece’s, Siam’s, Switzerland’s, Iceland’s and Hawaii’s National anthem.

Given that I didn't get my Lizst for Hungary, I have decided to spitefully not care about the Czech composers. ;)

I would prefer if Rizzo or Knorr tackled a Bulgarian woman's choir. Kaval Sviri seems a popular choice, although many of the tunes from The Mystery of Bulgarian Voices would facilitate.

Below: Pilence Pee

Right now I think a Bulgarian arrangement is my most wanted addition to the civ soundtrack. Imagine an atomic Bulgarian choir with trance distortion.

(Also, if anyone wanted something that perfectly captured Austria, it would have to be the "pastoral operatic waltz" that is Fruhlingstimmenwalzer. There are several sections that could be sung ad libidinum at the same leisurely pace as other ancient themes. Although since I personally don't want Austria, and I've been burned before with Hungary, I figure I might as well suggest something better that what's currently on offer)

Last edited:
Oh I'm glad this thread exists, I have plenty of tracks on my wishlist for both existing and not-yet-implemented civs.

Byzantine
Spoiler :
Polychronion - Chant wishing many years upon the Emperor of the Romans. Later used for Ottoman Sultans as well.

Axion esti in plagal 2nd (I think)

Kyrie eleison in plagal 4th

3 Cretan monks - Traditional song about the story of a failed expedition to aid Constantinople in the siege of 1453.

Ottoman
Spoiler :
Çeçen Kızı - The theme I actually rooted for to be their main theme

Hücûm Marşı
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyZFB2CS38U

Armenia

Mongolia
Spoiler :

Those Ottoman themes are fun. No real interest in adding Byzantine music to the mix when we have very similar Georgian music.

Mostly quoting and commenting because the Armenian stuff seems very catchy and different from the current soundscape. A little repetitive structurally but definitely different from Sumeria, Phoenicia, Georgia.

Also looking at the OP's list, I'm totally sold on a Timurid/Mughal theme with a sitar. Also would have liked an erhu theme but the qin really is a better representation of China anyway.

No real interest in adding Byzantine music to the mix when we have very similar Georgian music.

To the untrained ear, perhaps :mischief:

OT: Since this was bumped, I'll add a few more pieces I'd love to see in game:

More Byzantine (just to convince PhoenicianGold Georgian music sounds nothing like Byzantine Anatolian music):
Spoiler :
I hoped and I still hope - Ottoman-era classical Byzantine style

Pontian dance Outsai

Roumpalia Garoufalia - Folk song from Bithynia (Kocaeli). This can actually easily fit Greece as well, if we went for folk focus instead

The nightingales of the East - 13th century folk song spread throughout the empire

More Ottoman:
Spoiler :
Güzel aşık (or Demedim mi) - Bektashi traditional piece (Bektashism is the form of Islam practiced by the Janissaries and many Balkanites in the Ottoman empire)

Güldür gül - Islamic devotional song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2flqFxo0y5Q

Manchu:
Spoiler :
Saisa gabtara ucun - Manchu song of archery (modern take)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0BJcOWlse4

Manchu drink song (also modern take)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAHRDZPTxI0

To the untrained ear, perhaps :mischief:

I almost got a minor in music and will kick your ass at karaoke. Any style. Bring it. ;)

Although Byzantine and Georgian choral music use different harmonic structuring, both heavily use a "drone" styling in the bass voicing. I have very little personal interest Western music later than about 1850 beyond academic, I especially don't like droning, and Georgia's tracks are perhaps my least favorite in the game. At least Bulgarian or Saami choirs have some outright bizarre harmonies and timbres, but you will never convince me to want Byzantine choral music. I just don't like it. :)

And even aside from personal taste, one churchy choir is enough for tbe soundtrack. (Not to mention the last thing a stand-alone Byzantium civ wants to do is invite comparisons to Georgia, given that Georgia could mechanically already be Byzantium with just a dromon replacing the khevsureti.)

More Byzantine (just to convince PhoenicianGold Georgian music sounds nothing like Byzantine Anatolian music):
Spoiler :
I hoped and I still hope - Ottoman-era classical Byzantine style

Pontian dance Outsai

Roumpalia Garoufalia - Folk song from Bithynia (Kocaeli). This can actually easily fit Greece as well, if we went for folk focus instead

The nightingales of the East - 13th century folk song spread throughout the empire

I could see the dances being used. Frankly the Ottoman theme and Nightengales in the East sound far too similar in style and even melody to the Ottoman theme.

I still am not convinced the dances absolutely necessitate a Byzantine civ, though. Of course, this does not surprise me, since in other threads nearly everything I see proposed for Byzantium either already has been or easily could be done better by another civ. I have made peace with it likely getting in by pure force of will, but tbf most, if not all incarnations of it will bore me in a way no other VI civ does, except perhaps Nubia. I am not looking forward to it.

HOWEVER, I am looking forward to Ireland harp hype.

I almost got a minor in music and will kick your ass at karaoke. Any style. Bring it. ;)

Well, technically even a baby with bronchitis can probably beat me at karaoke, so I ain't disputing that. Still, that doesn't mean your ear is accustomed to Byzantine sounds.

Although Byzantine and Georgian choral music use different harmonic structuring, both heavily use a "drone" styling in the bass voicing.

Georgian has polyphonic singing, Byzantine music does not. All Byzantine cantors sing in the same pitch, minus some that "hold the ison" (the "drone" you mention). Polyphonic singing means many of the cantors sing the same thing in different pitch. The difference in effect is kinda obvious.

Also, it's not different harmonic structuring per se, it's just different music, really. Different chord progressions, different use of scales, different trends, different musical instruments etc.

I have very little personal interest Western music later than about 1850

Well, you're in good luck, because Byzantine music is neither of those things :^)

but you will never convince me to want Byzantine choral music. I just don't like it. :)

You don't have to, it's just one idea for Byzantine music and there are more. Plus, the point is uniqueness more than musical tastes, you can still dislike Byzantine music and recognize it's substantially different from the Georgian one.

I could see the dances being used. Frankly the Ottoman theme and Nightengales in the East sound far too similar in style and even melody to the Ottoman theme.

Ottoman classical music has very deep connections with Byzantine classical music all the way down to the instruments being used, so it's natural that they sound similar. You can still spot the differences, but these are actually related, unlike with Georgian music.

I still am not convinced the dances absolutely necessitate a Byzantine civ, though.

They don't, but the thread is about music. I mean, we also know very well the Ottomans ain't getting new music either, but I still put it out there to emphasize missed opportunities. Now that I think of it, I'd be willing to pay (at a reasonable price) for music packs to add more to existing civs. Maybe someone should contact Firaxis to give them a tip.

They don't, but the thread is about music. I mean, we also know very well the Ottomans ain't getting new music either, but I still put it out there to emphasize missed opportunities. Now that I think of it, I'd be willing to pay (at a reasonable price) for music packs to add more to existing civs. Maybe someone should contact Firaxis to give them a tip.

Sounds like a great idea! Some of the current Civs have relatively few ambient themes or their ambient themes consist of primarily Improv music (not bashing improv music, but some real folk songs would be nice for say, Arabia or India).

Lovely thread. Can't add much to the ancient and non-Western traditions, but have a few comments, having played (guitar) and listened to folk music for longer than most folk:

American: easy choice: Dill Pickle Rag as done by Doc Watson on flat-pick guitar. In one swell foop combines the Appalachian Folk and the Black Ragtime traditions.
Scots: No collection of Scottish music is complete without Alaster Frazer's fiddle. Any tune will do, it's all amazing instrumental. Can't use Spark by his Skye Dance group, though, because no one would be able to pay attention to the game with that playing.
Russian: Meadowlands March, which sounds like a classical piece, but in fact was the official marching song of the Soviet Infantry in WWII.
Spain: Springtime in Toledo in the Nuevo Flamenco style: one of the best guitar pieces ever played.

I wish they could get Wagakki Band to redo Japan's Modern, Atomic, and Information themes.

Last edited:
Since we're discussing existing civs, I'll give my thoughts on Norway's music.

I am frankly somewhat disappointed with Norway's portrayal in general. Other civs have attributes that span much more of their history, such as America with its P-51 Mustang and Film Studio despite being led by Teddy Roosevelt, Germany with its U-Boat despite being led by Frederick Barbarossa, and Japan with its Electronics Factory despite being led by Hojo Tokimune. Norway, however, gives an impression that it stopped existing as a nation and concept after the Viking Age. I realise that Norway is supposed to be carrying the mantle of the "Viking" civ this time around after Denmark and the Vikings themselves, but still, I wish it didn't have to completely exclude any representation of post-Viking Norway. (which is why I hope that any potential rework would include something that modern Norway could identify with)

I wrote this to give some background to my choices if Norway were to be given themes with multiple pieces, like the civs of both expansions have. Gjendines bådnlåt, Norway's current theme, already covers the folk/rural/traditional aspect of Norwegian music, so I personally feel like any additional melody would have to be post-1814, representing the era in which Norwegians began to focus on rebuilding a unique culture, to distance themselves from the Danes and Swedes - an effort which would shape the Norwegian people's view on their country, and their relationship with it to this very day, making it a very important chapter of our history. So, for this reason my suggestions/ideas are:

Norge, mitt Norge - Norway, My Norway
Spoiler Norge, mitt Norge :
Originally a poem written in 1901, four years before Norway would again become an independent country, its lyrics depict Norway as "sleeping," illustrating Norwegian attempts to "wake up" the country by reviving Norwegian culture, and also describes Norwegian nature in detail - an aspect of Norway which became central in rebooting Norwegian cultural identity.

Nordmannen - The Norwegian
Spoiler Nordmannen :
Popularly known as Mellom bakkar og berg ("Between Hills and Mountains"), this was originally a poem published in 1863, which focuses on and highlights the Norwegian's shrewdness in settling and improving his homeland. Worth noting is that this was written by Ivar Aasen, who created one of the written forms of Norwegian still used today, in a time where the status and future of a Norwegian written language was hotly debated, after Danish had been the sole official language for the past 400 years or so.

I Dovregubbens hall - In The Hall of the Mountain King
Spoiler I Dovregubbens hall :
Perhaps Norway's most well-known orchestral composition, composed by Edvard Grieg in 1875 for Peer Gynt, one of Henrik Ibsen's plays. Both Grieg and Ibsen were very important for Norway's cultural revival, and so a combination of their efforts would fit nicely. However, featuring it in the game would be quite ironic, as Grieg himself said that it was so "ultra-Norwegian" that he couldn't bear to hear it. Anyway, if so, it'd obviously have to be the finale of a reworked Norwegian theme.

I was also going to suggest some melodies which could work as more ambient music, but this reply is already too long. I'll do so some other time, in another reply.

I wish they could get Wagakki Band to redo Japan's Modern, Atomic, and Information themes.

There's only an Atomic theme.....
You want Wagakki Band to take over Geoff Knorr's job? :p

Last edited:
Scots: No collection of Scottish music is complete without Alaster Frazer's fiddle. Any tune will do, it's all amazing instrumental. Can't use Spark by his Skye Dance group, though, because no one would be able to pay attention to the game with that playing.
Spain: Springtime in Toledo in the Nuevo Flamenco style: one of the best guitar pieces ever played.

Sorry, I won't add modern musicians or their music to the wishlist, for obvious reasons. I'm having trouble finding Springtime in Toledo.

Suggesting pieces for old Civs is nice, but I prefer suggestions for Civs not yet in the game. Even though I think no more expansions will be added for Civ6. RIP Maya! :cry:

There's only an Atomic theme.....
You want Wagakki Band to take over Geoff Knorr's job? :p

Just for Japan. It fits modern Japan very well. Still conservatively traditional in many areas but with large influence from western cultures particularly the US, UK, and Germany. They aren't in the video but they also have members that play the traditional flute, the horizontal harp, and a singer.

Sorry, I won't add modern musicians or their music to the wishlist, for obvious reasons. I'm having trouble finding Springtime in Toledo.

Suggesting pieces for old Civs is nice, but I prefer suggestions for Civs not yet in the game. Even though I think no more expansions will be added for Civ6. RIP Maya! :cry:

My fault: the actual cut is called 'Spring in Toledo" it's from the 1997 album Gypsy Fusion by the group NovaMenco, part of the 'Nuevo Flaminco' style offshoot of traditional flaminco music.
For more traditional Scots music I suggest any of the instrumental pieces from Boys of the Lough (actually, Shetlands origin, so there is some Norwegian influence there as well) or Tannahill Weavers or Silly Wizard. All three groups play a mix of traditional voice and instrumental pieces along with more 'modern' (i.e - since the 18th century) Scots music.

Top Bottom