My custom scenario's map is revealed upon game start - why?

need my speed

Rex Omnium Imperarium
Hello!

I do not have 'Reveal Entire Map' on, nor am I playing in 'Debug Mode':
1705243158704.png

I do not possess a technology with 'Reveal Map':
1705243083240.png

1705243100201.png

1705243117868.png

Fog is properly applied to the entire map:
1705243055226.png

I also see nothing weird here:
1705243180060.png

So why does my game look like this when I start?
1705243214637.png

I want to see black fog, I want to explore, I don't want to know the entire map.

Thank you in advance!

Upload the biq file so that others can take a look at it, and try to figure out what is going on.

Good point, here you go! :)

Attachments

• WrathAI.7z
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
I have spent part of this afternoon, while warming up after clearing my driveway for the 5th time in a week (Driveway is 100 feet long and 16 feet wide, and this morning it was -7 Fahrenheit while clearing it), working on your mod. I changed the map, no effect. Debugging was normal, but switching back to the map still had in displayed. I am on an older laptop running Windows XP, so I do not think that the computer or Civ3 installation is the issue, as I have the same problem as you. The rest of my mods are working normally for map display, so it has to be something in the biq file or the file itself is damaged. I will keep poking away at it.

I have figured it out. You have the Tech Aeronautica, which has no Era or prerequisite for it, and is set to Reveal Map. As it has no Era requirement, the game is picking it up immediately, and revealing the map. By unchecking the Reveal Map box, I now have a biq that shows only what it should at the start.

As Aeronautic is equivalent to Flight, you should give it the same prerequisites as Flight, including the Era. That should solve the problem. You might want to review all of your other added Advances and give them the era and prerequisites as well.

You might want to make all of the other civilization playable by the human player to get all of them listed as possibly playable. Here is my sample biq with the Reveal Map correction and the added playable civilizations.

By the way, this does look like an interesting scenario to play.

Attachments

• WrathAIT51.zip
    76.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Mhhhm, but I want the Aeronautica civilisation to start with their technology (i.e. Aeronautica) to reveal the map.
Or are you saying that the Humanity civilisation (intended to be the human) also starts with this technology (I am at work, so I cannot check it)?
Or are you saying that, if you add a new technology that has the reveal map functionality (like Satellites), and a civilisation starts with it, the map is revealed for everyone (a bug, I'd assume)?

All these technologies should not have any prerequisites, because they are the civilisation-specific technologies that unlock various civilisation-specific buildings and/or abilities.
I wouldn't mind making an official release post and changelog and all, and upload this somewhere in a thread - I was inspired by this story to make my own mod. :)

Okay, so this indeed seems to be a bug! That is; if you add a new technology that has the reveal map functionality (like Satellites), and a civilisation starts with it, the map is revealed for everyone.

I'm not sure if anyone was aware of this yet, but there you go.

And I made a thread here, if you want to play. :)

Top Bottom