My first game... this might be laughable

Different than I would typically play but interesting. May I ask what size is the REF currently?

I do, at this point after concurring the Dutch, have:

11 Soldiers (2 Vets)
2 Dragoons
10 Cannons
3 War Ships

(But I have the ability to double these numbers in a few turns.. (Except the ships)

REF forces:

19 Regulars
8 Reg. Dragoons
15 Artillery
14 War Ships

My question to you is obviously... How would you have played? :scan:

I have not seen the strategy I typically employ posted by anyone here - so I will write it up and post it in the strategy section later today. In the meantime here are some things that might "concern" me that you will want to take into account.

First a little on how the REF deploys against you:

The REF currently has 14 MoWs. The AI will send these MoWs with troops on board to attack you in (most likely) the following pattern: 0, 4, 4, 4, 2, 0, ... Each number represents the number of MoWs deployed to the new world on each turn after you declare independence. MoWs hold 4 troops each. Thus the troops that you will be facing each turn will be: 0, 16, +16, +16, +8 then there is a lull in new deployment for a turn or 2 and then more troops are brought over until the REF has deployed all its troops.

The first 16 troops will all land within a square or two of Johntown and if not eliminated will attack Johntown the following turn (DoI +3). On that turn as well another 16 troops will land on the same squares reinforcing those that are already there.

My concern would therefore be - how are you going to reinforce Johntown in time (assuming you intend to defend it) when your other cities are quite far from Johntown as it will take multiple turns for your reinforcements to arrive.

You should also be aware that as you get closer to the 50% rebel sentiment needed to declare independence the King will add to the REF. Do not underestimate the King's ability to raise 10 or more units every other turn! Right now it may look like you will be facing "only" 52 REF ground forces but do not be lulled into a false sense of security as you may end up facing 100 to 120... In one game I had to fend off over 170.

I have found that when attacking the REF Dragoons with my own dragoons initially (when rebel sentiment is low and they lack promotions) I will lose one dragoon for every 2-3 attacks I make. My own dragoons against infantry I will lose 1 for every 4-5 attacks and against artillery I will lose 1 dragoon for every 9-10 attacks. Of course in a multiple unit stack of REF forces you have to beat up or defeat all of the dragoons and infantry before you can attack the artillery.

Anyhow - keep us informed on the progress of your game and feel free to ask questions anytime - there are lots of folks with diverse opinions on here.

Thanks BlindSide.. Well, we´ll see what happens.. I have no great hopes at the time. But I don´t know how I could have played it differently up to this point.. :rolleyes:

windh:

Well best wishes for sucess! Your game should be interesting - keep us posted. I did finally post one strategy I have employed often in the Strategy Section.

windh:

Well best wishes for sucess! Your game should be interesting - keep us posted. I did finally post one strategy I have employed often in the Strategy Section.

Cool, I´ll look forward to reading it.

Turn: ~350.

Concurred the French, and kept some settlements, one by the sea...

Arming progress doing good. Now trying to get the Liberty Bells swingin! :p

HAPPY NEW YEAR COL´ERZ! Sorry, the progress has been slow over the holidays. I will pick up this initial game and finish it off pretty soon!

Top Bottom