My first impressions...

tcjsavannah

Wow, it's been a while...
... although I don't do impressions, my training is in psychology. :)

I got home from work and installed the game. I then kept disc 2 in to play and it told me I had the wrong disc... so I put disc one in and it started up. Hmm. Guess i'll have to relabel -that- disc...

I knew I would only have about three hours to play before SO duties prevented me from Civving for the rest of the night, so I decided to just jump right in with a Settler game and eschew the tutorial. When I got Civ III, I played Chieftain and got my ass handed to me. So this time I was going straight for Settler.

Playing the Aztecs, I got a decent starting location, followed Sullla's walkthrough to get that early religion. I found two other civs on my continent - Americans and Russians. By 1 AD, though, I had taken care of the Russians militarily, had knocked down the Americans and am already eying Napoleon 'across the pond'. I've also founded four of the possible religions and have a huge tech lead. My conclusion: Settler's just too easy, so I've stopped the game and will probably bump it up a level or two.

Things I like:
o barb cities popping up
o Leonard Nimoy's voiceovers
o the unit promotions
o all the rollover help on the main menu (I think I pulled up one of the alternate menus once the whole time)
o great people! (got two and used them for techs both times)

Things that surprised me/put me off a bit (probably because I didn't read the manual):
o with open borders, you have to cancel them before you want to declare war which puts all of your units out of the border, -then- you have to invade.
o the ocean tiles are not as distinct as the sea tiles.. half the time I was trying to move my galley across and it just wouldn't do anything, thought it was me for a while
o man the ai wants you to build cottages everywhere.. is there any reason not to (like roads everywhere in Civ III?)
o I could feel the Oracle wonder movie trying to crash my computer.. so I just cancelled it

Still, it's great and I know I'll be getting a lot less sleep over the next few months.

Ooh, im looking forward to the wonder movies...gonna remind me of Civ2 :)

I heard about that border thing, I suppose its to stop the semi-exploit method of positioning your army nearly inside your opponents cities before declaring war. Boy, that was a timesaver!

At least it didnt have your galley sail over what you thought was a shore tile, thus causing it to sink ^_^

Top Bottom