My ideas for changes in Scientific Victory

Xandinho

Deity
About scientific victory for Civ7, I'd like this to be broader and not entirely reliant on space travels in the late game. I suggest including several scientific achievements that you'd make during the match, each achievement would grant a different amount of points, depending on the degree of importance and difficulty of each achievement. The civilization that would win the scientific victory would be one that exceeded a set amount of points.
Some examples of achievement:
  • Be the first civilization in the world to develop a writing system: 10 points. 5 points if you're not the first.
  • Be the first civilization in the world to develop medicinal knowledge: 10 points. 5 points if you're not the first.
  • Be the first civilization in the world to develop advanced navigation techniques: 7 points. 3 points if you're not the first.
  • Be the first civilization in the world to create the steam engine: 10 points. 5 points if you you're the first.
  • Be the first civilization in the world to send a satellite into space: 7 points. 3 points if you're not the first.
  • Be the first civilization in the world to reach the Moon: 10 points. 5 points if you're not the first.
  • Be the world's first civilization to Mars: 12 points. 6 points if you're not the first.
  • Be the first civilization in the world to revolutionize the means of communication (creating the Internet): 15 points. Unique points only for the first one.
  • Be the first civilization in the world to fully automate the means of production: 15 points. 7 points if you're not the first.
These are just a few achievements, but there could be dozens of them, things that you can achieve from the very beginning of the game until the future era. Such achievements will bring benefits to your civilization and some of them to other civilizations as well, but in less effect.

The achievements will involve numerous areas: physics, chemistry, mathematics, medicine, astronomy, genetics, biology, agrarian, computing, environmental...
For you to get an achievement, you need to unlock specific technologies, build certain buildings, carry out projects and recruit scientists (gold only), the more scientists (common civil unit, not a Great Scientist) you employ in a project, the faster the projects will be completed and will increase the chances of success.

Great Scientists will also be important, some achievements will only be acquired with specific Great Scientists. For example, with Charles Darwin, you (and only you) will achieve the achievement the discover of theory of evolution and natural selection, which awards 12 points and extra science in biological research labs. Now there will be different types of research labs.

With this new scientific victory system, you can win the match without having to send rockets into space. You can specialize your civilization in becoming a scientific robotic power or a power in agricultural research. You can still become a generalist scientific power and win the game by getting points in different areas. The options are many.

What do you think?

For example, with Charles Darwin, you (and only you) will achieve the achievement the discover of theory of evolution and natural selection, which awards 12 points and extra science in biological research labs.
Sad Alfred Russel Wallace noises. Actually the more recent is a discovery or invention the more we can found that many research teams were working in the same ideas since they dont have a genius with some random eureka they work with common methods and previous knowledge on the same natural phenomena so the result is convergent.

I think is better to remark particular authors of cultural creations than scientific advances, gravity is real with or without Newton but just Van Gogh would paint The Starry Night and not anybody at Saint-Paul-de-Mausole. Yes we still have the influence of artistic movements and schools but we could agree that art and religion are more about the people and their culture while science is about understand how nature works.

Any way I am more for integrate all the system on ways of CONTROL, instead of victory types, for example:
> SCIENCE, simple the more advaces the more efficient your production, better medicine, more powerfull weapons, new ways of communication for trade and cultural influence, etc.
> CULTURE, is about common identity, so the more your vision of the world influence others the more they would agree with you. I found it really cruel (I am not a "tribalist") but lets be real about history and how when people see others as "different" is easier to commit atrocities againts them, so cultural conversion (included religion and political ideas) are basicaly a way to make the "others" to care, relate and agree with your objectives.
> ECONOMY, for most people money can buy basicaly anything, have cash and you will invest on science, sponsor art, hire mercenaries and bribe leaders.
> DIPLOMACY; this is about leaders, they have their personality and objetives so basically is a visual novel mini game where you must achieve to make them to do what you want, and the ways is with many specific actions according to each leader, it is absurd to have "diplomatic mana" to spend on favors (for me diplomatic favor is the worse abstraction on CIV6).
> MILITARY, obviously the use of the brute force, that could be influenced by culture (not just about your people being warmongers but also the affinity they have with their enemy), science (obviously the best weapons), economy (you need to pay) and diplomacy (the casus belli, alliances, terms of surrender, etc.)

So basically a natural synergy to ensure dominance by any mean.

Last edited:
I think that a good modder could actually do it in civ 6. The diplomacy victory is just a big lua script with some xml files, so you can start from that.

I'd like for some of the techs for a SV to NOT be on the main branch of the tech tree. So that you really make a choice to get that tech to pursue a SV, not that anyway you're getting it sooner or later. As Elon said, space conquest is not inevitable. It can easily fall down on the list of Mankind priorities.

Top Bottom