My post-work Odyssey

tcjsavannah

Wow, it's been a while...
Well, after hitting refresh about a million times on the CFC Civ IV forum this morning and afternoon, I finally left work at 4 pm. After two calls this afternoon to EB Games (no, we don't have it; it shipped today, we'll have it tomorrow) I decided to drop in on Target and *shudder* Wal-Mart on the way home.

Target had nothing, which admittedly was expected.

Wal-Mart is at my exit of the interstate, less than a mile from my house. The same one I waited outside while my wife went in to get bread last night. Truly the sign of desperation, I went in this afternoon at 4:45 pm.

Get to the electronics section and to the PC games and I notice something curious.. five stacks of boxes containing all sorts of games. Could I have come at the fortuitious time? I make sure it's not on the racks, then walk slowly by each of the boxes and eye the contents. Nothing civ-like catches my eye, so I brave asking one of the workers who is busy restocking the DVD section.

Nicely enough, she offers to go through all of the boxes, which we do for about 15 minutes. I see plenty of other games, but no Civ IV. Finally, she asks her co-worker about it, and she confirms that they have not gotten it yet.

So even though they did not have it, I guess my irrational fear of Wal-Mart has cooled somewhat. They were very nice and understanding while searching the boxes, explaining that they had just done a huge change-out and many of the boxes had older games, replaced by newer stuff.. but there were a couple of boxes with stuff that had just come in (some Sims2 and Brothers in Arms something-or-other) and did not mind looking. Who knows, I might just go back there this weekend for a cheapie game.

I'll be undergoing a similar trek in about 45 minutes. Perhaps I'll be more successful.

...and I've purchased older PC games from my local Wal Mart for quite reasonable prices, despite having a Best Buy, Fry's, Two Gamestops, an EB Games, and a Compusa all within 10 minutes of my place...

tcjsavannah said:
Well, after hitting refresh about a million times on the CFC Civ IV forum this morning and afternoon, I finally left work at 4 pm. After two calls this afternoon to EB Games (no, we don't have it; it shipped today, we'll have it tomorrow) I decided to drop in on Target and *shudder* Wal-Mart on the way home.

Target had nothing, which admittedly was expected.

Wal-Mart is at my exit of the interstate, less than a mile from my house. The same one I waited outside while my wife went in to get bread last night. Truly the sign of desperation, I went in this afternoon at 4:45 pm.

Get to the electronics section and to the PC games and I notice something curious.. five stacks of boxes containing all sorts of games. Could I have come at the fortuitious time? I make sure it's not on the racks, then walk slowly by each of the boxes and eye the contents. Nothing civ-like catches my eye, so I brave asking one of the workers who is busy restocking the DVD section.

Nicely enough, she offers to go through all of the boxes, which we do for about 15 minutes. I see plenty of other games, but no Civ IV. Finally, she asks her co-worker about it, and she confirms that they have not gotten it yet.

So even though they did not have it, I guess my irrational fear of Wal-Mart has cooled somewhat. They were very nice and understanding while searching the boxes, explaining that they had just done a huge change-out and many of the boxes had older games, replaced by newer stuff.. but there were a couple of boxes with stuff that had just come in (some Sims2 and Brothers in Arms something-or-other) and did not mind looking. Who knows, I might just go back there this weekend for a cheapie game.

I stopped off at Gamestop on the way home and put $5 down on Civ even though I'm getting the pre-order version overnighted tomorrow.....why the heck would I do this?

1) I'll give this version to my daughter for Christmas and keep the pre-order version.

2) I'm expecting my delivery around 3:00pm whereas I can get the store version at 11:30AM

How crazy is that? At least I have a backup plan now....LOL

Top Bottom