My research and buying decision for a new PC to meet Civ5 "Recommended Sys Reqmnts"

Arnold_T

Prince
Just thought I would share my research and buying decision for a new PC to handle Civ5.

I’ve spent quite a few hours browsing the web compiling this info, so I thought I’d post it here in case it might help out someone else looking to do the same. At least it can be a starting point for you.

Browsing the threads here about the pros and cons of Civ5 I realized that whether or not Civ5 is better or worse than any previous version of Civ there’s no doubt I will want to play the game for hundreds, maybe even thousands of hours. The problem is I don’t have a machine to play it on.

I tried playing the Civ5 demo on my work laptop, and it was a no-go.

My home PC is a 7-year old Dell Pentium-4, which even with memory upgraded to 2GB and a GPU upgrade is just barely able to handle Civ4 (it crashes sometimes on bigger maps).

So I told my wife “OK, the time has finally come to replace my home system!”.
She said “So, you’re finally going to finally over to Mac?!” :) Well, even if Civ5 did run on a Mac, I’m sure I’m still not cool enough to own a Mac. I just hope to acquire some coolness-by-association being married to a Mac-owner.

But I digress, what I wanted in a new system was:

1. be able to run Civ5 on a system that meets the Civ5 "Recommended" specs, so I would get good performance even on the biggest maps, with lots of AIs

2. be able to support DirectX11, not just for Civ5, but also for other new games coming out in the next few years (thinking DirectX11 might be the new standard for a few years)

3. hopefully get a system strong enough now that it will still be a good system in a few years, maybe it won’t last seven years like my current system, but just maybe it will be good enough to run Civ6 :rolleyes:

4. and, here’s the tough part: … costs less than $1000.

Without the $1000 limitation, you don’t really have to do much research, I think pretty much any $1500 desktop or $2000 laptop will do the trick. But under $1000 is trickier.

First thing was to get a better handle on what the "Recommended" specs actually meant.

The GPU specs on www.2kgames.com support site are kind of vague (“ATI 4800 series or better, … nVidia 9800 series or better). So I used the Passmark benchmarks at www.videocardbenchmark.net to see what the performance ratings were for the ATI 4800 series and the nVidia 9800 series, and came to the conclusion that any DirectX11 capable GPU with a G3D rating of 698 or higher would be good.

I think the processor spec of “1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU” is pretty simple if you’re buying a new system (not an older, used system). I just assumed I’d be looking for an Intel Core i7, or a higher end Core i5 (with 4 cores, not just two), or an AMD Phenom X4 or X6. I checked out the performance benchmarks on Passmark at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html and saw that the topend Core i7 were rated highest but that the AMD Phenom II X4 and X6 were rated higher than some of the lower-end Core i7. I figured any of these CPUs would be fine for Civ5.

So with these clarifications in hand, I then checked out, just for laughs, whether a laptop was possible at the $1000 limit :lol:. Which of course it isn’t (though I also have a requirement for a bigger screen on a laptop). In case you're set on a laptop, I thought these two would be good choices:
- HP Envy 17.3” (Corei7-720QM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850, CDN$1800 at www.bestbuy.ca )
- Alienware M17x (Corei5-520M, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870, CDN $1899 at www.dell.ca )

Moving the search to desktops, I checked out a lot of options on www.bestbuy.ca, www.futureshop.ca, and www.dell.ca

The Alienware Aurora looks good, but at $1299 doesn’t make the price limit.

Similarly, the HP Elite (Core i7-860, Radeon HD 5770) at Futureshop looks good but is $1199.

I found the options at FutureShop and BestBuy to be either:
- Meets the specs,but is too expensive, (and no way to downgrade an over-configured system)
- Meets the price limit, but doesn’t meet the specs, (and is no way to upgrade an under-configured system)

Luckily I found some options at the Dell site:

- Dell Studio XPS 9100 (Core i7-930, Radeon HD5670, 4GB) looks good and is only $999! But then I need to add Microsoft Office Home and Student, which puts it over. Depends how you define the $1000 limit guess ;)

- Dell Studio XPS 8100 (Core i5-650, Radeon HD5670, 4GB) also works and is just $899!! But again MS Office puts it over (not to mention taxes on top of that).

- Dell Studio XPS 7100 (AMD Phenom II X6 10055T, Radeon 5670, 4GB) works too, and is only $799!!! Hey, this one with MS Office included is only $918, plus the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T looks like a better processor than the Core i5-650. (CPU Mark of 5174 versus 3101)

- There were no lower end Dell (Inspiron) models that met the specs, and they were not upgradable to meet the specs.

The Dell XPS 7100 with all taxes included, and free shipping, comes to CDN$1018 - which is just slightly over $1000, but at this point I thought it was close enough and stopped my search. There may be other systems out there that meet the specs at lower prices (maybe Gateway, Acer, etc.), but I’ve had good luck with Dells in the past, and I like how I can order it online, and the online support is good. So I decided to go for the Dell XPS 7100. I’ve placed my order and I’m just awaiting delivery now.

Now I just need to get a copy of Civ5! :)

Thank you for the information. I am in the same boat as you were. I have already spent quite a few hours on the net looking for a Laptop that will not only run Civ5 but also future games. If you dont mind refurbished, the some good deals could be had at the Dell outlet site. The Alienware M11X is one that comes to mind. The XPS systems are good also but above the 41K range.

Oh, and yes, regardless of whether Civ5 is worse or dumbed down, or whatever, I still plan on buying and playing it for countless hours...

I bought a new computer a few weeks ago.

600 RAM
Intel i5 Processor

Game still runs slowish.

good post! I've been putting off replacing the family desktop machine for over a year (we all have laptops) but I may get a gaming desktop just for Civ5. Your post definitely helps me with research as I do not usually keep up with PC hardware tech and being able to rate video cards (in particular) is difficult for an out of touch person.

I wish I could see Civ5 benchmarks for all the video options. Presumably if I get a desktop and a good motherboard then I can upgrade the video card in the future. It seems like the PCIe system interconnect will be here for a while.

You can get better specs for $1000 if you build it from scratch but if you don't want the hassle the xps 7100 looks good.

- Dell Studio XPS 7100 (AMD Phenom II X6 10055T, Radeon 5670, 4GB) works too, and is only $799!!! Hey, this one with MS Office included is only $918, plus the AMD Phenom II X6 1055T looks like a better processor than the Core i5-650. (CPU Mark of 5174 versus 3101)

The Dell XPS 7100 with all taxes included, and free shipping, comes to CDN$1018 - which is just slightly over $1000, but at this point I thought it was close enough and stopped my search. There may be other systems out there that meet the specs at lower prices (maybe Gateway, Acer, etc.), but I’ve had good luck with Dells in the past, and I like how I can order it online, and the online support is good. So I decided to go for the Dell XPS 7100. I’ve placed my order and I’m just awaiting delivery now.

Now I just need to get a copy of Civ5! :)

Good choice, that's the best price/performance pc here by a country mile.

My personal reluctance to go with something like Dell or Alienware is that they bundle superfluous crap with the machine that I don't want and will never use. (I don't watch TV on my gaming computer, forgodsakes!) I have an older Alienware here and I can't say I've been really thrilled with it.

Rather than try to build my own PC and goof everything up, I took the advice of a friend and ordered from AVA Direct. I got exactly the computer I wanted without a single bit of unwanted bundled junk. They had the RAM type and MB I asked for, and the case design was brilliant - there was enough room inside the chassis that I've added over 1TB of extra SATA drive space since purchasing the machine. Most mass-produced PCs just ratnest the cables and wiring inside the case - that was one complaint I had against Alienware. Not so AVA.

See what you think. If you're careful you might be able to build a quadcore for around $1k with no monitor. (A monitor is going to add $200-400 to the price).

AVA Direct Custom Computers

Delivery was exactly 2 weeks and the customer support was stupendous.

I built a home system that is right at $1000, though shipping was a bit more. Antec 300 case, with some nice 120-140mm fans, a Gigabyte mobo, amd phenom II X4 black edition deneb 3.0 GHz processor, an XFX 5770HD, 4 G's mushkin ram, and the stuff to put it together. I feel like they made Civ V for my system. I haven't had a single problem with any part of the game, graphics on full, graphics card on full, with the only exceptions not being able to stop the intro movie, (and editing the .ini fixed that) and not being able to alt-tab in vista, and you can, just have to do it a bunch, or try windows-esc or alt-esc. One of those eventually lets me tab out, though only I get the taskbar. Haven't had that issue on my laptop w/7. (wal mart special, toshiba 400 dollar, barely runs, low fps, but playable, should become easier on it if/when they add the option to disable animations) 9 out of 10 experience for me so far.

Building a home sysem is a cool idea, except most calculations for the home-built systems are leaving out things like keyboard, mouse, Operating System(!), MSOffice, Taxes, and shipping charges. I'm not sure how much money I'd actually have saved by building myself, if any. Plus the time and effort involved, and the frustration. Upgrading memory and graphics cards is about the limit of my tinkeing inside a PC case.
Plus add in $200 to pay the kid next door to finish the assembly for me (i.e get the thing to work!).
Nah, for me the pre-built Dell is the perfect solution. :)

Building a home sysem is a cool idea, except most calculations for the home-built systems are leaving out things like keyboard, mouse, Operating System(!), MSOffice, Taxes, and shipping charges. I'm not sure how much money I'd actually have saved by building myself, if any. Plus the time and effort involved, and the frustration. Upgrading memory and graphics cards is about the limit of my tinkeing inside a PC case.
Plus add in $200 to pay the kid next door to finish the assembly for me (i.e get the thing to work!).
Nah, for me the pre-built Dell is the perfect solution. :)

My particular build includes a system builder's vista 32 bit. Most people upgrading already have a mouse, keyboard. People that need office already have it and just need to install it. I went to my newegg account to check and the total with shipping for all my stuff was $1054.

Top Bottom