My Windows Vista Experience.

Illdisposed

Chieftain
Well, let me tell you, it's overly negative. Infuriatingly negative. However, im not posting this to bash on Vista again and again - instead, I am merely looking for help from a very much knowledgable community of CivFanatics.
It all started with me deciding to finally abandon Win XP (oh, what a mistake that was) in favor of Vista 64. I even purchased a shiny 150 gig Raptor along with the copy of Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Edition. I started having problems already at the installation part - it simply would not install!! It would freeze at random phases, reboot, or simply load forever. After formatting my MBR I finally managed to get it on my system. However now it still troubles my nerves by rebooting randomly or freezing. The freezing is the problem I cannot solve. It does not freeze in fact, instead my mouse and keyboard stop responding. I can see that the OS is still functioning but I have no option but to restart manually only to have it (mouse and keyboard) die on me again. I uninstalled Vista and got XP back on - no problems whatsoever. Then installed Vista once more - same problem. Can ayone relte this problem, or give any hints?
My specs are: Intell QuadCore 6600
Gygabyte p35 ds3r
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
4 GB RAM

Maybe USB drivers?

If it freezes on its own before you've installed drivers, updates, programs, etc., I would expect a hardware issue.

If you want, I can detail the steps to stress testing likely hardware...

I'd be only thankful. I also checked the drivers. They are up to date and function normally.

Switch to windows 7 beta.

Sounds like your video and USB are unstable. Try the Windows 7 RC as Birdjaguar suggested, it may help.
Also, look through the event log after it stops responding and you reboot. That will often point you in the right direction.

I seem to have resolved the issue by updating and flushing bios and doing a clean installation. So far so good. Thanks to all for your responses and your time.

Top Bottom