NAERALITH REBORN: New Civ 5 Design and Implementation Thread

In Naeralith all magic is derived from the colour inherent in living matter, and the more brightly coloured stuff is, the more magical. this is why many of the more colourful resources have higher pigment yields. In order to get this idea across weve decided the smallest value of colour in magic is refered to as a 'pigment'.

Basically Pigments are a new tile yield similar to production (or more accurately, culture) which is accumulated in the same manner as culture for use in purchasing Magical Lores (similar to Social Policies) from the Magic Palette Tree (similar to the social policy tree). Im not certain on the specifics of the Palette tree, but as far as i know there will be at least 7 Lore Brances, one for each colour of magic. there will probably also be a white Lore and Necromantic Lore.

The purpose of these lores and magic policies is to determine what spells your sorcerers and such can learn. it acts as a limiting factor as to how strong your sorceres can be and how many spells they know.

Another effect of pigments is that the pigments present in the terrain directly affects your spellcasters strength and magical power. more pigments obviously means more ambient magical energy and so stronger sorcerers. low pigments means weaker sorcerers, and NO pigments (such as in Margorian Lands) means no spell casting (except for liches and necromancers :p but thats another tale)

THats relaly just a brief overview from what i understand, im sure Al will add in more later but for now thats all i know ;) hope that helps!

In Naeralith all magic is derived from the colour inherent in living matter, and the more brightly coloured stuff is, the more magical. this is why many of the more colourful resources have higher pigment yields. In order to get this idea across weve decided the smallest value of colour in magic is refered to as a 'pigment'.

Basically Pigments are a new tile yield similar to production (or more accurately, culture) which is accumulated in the same manner as culture for use in purchasing Magical Lores (similar to Social Policies) from the Magic Palette Tree (similar to the social policy tree). Im not certain on the specifics of the Palette tree, but as far as i know there will be at least 7 Lore Brances, one for each colour of magic. there will probably also be a white Lore and Necromantic Lore.

The purpose of these lores and magic policies is to determine what spells your sorcerers and such can learn. it acts as a limiting factor as to how strong your sorceres can be and how many spells they know.

Another effect of pigments is that the pigments present in the terrain directly affects your spellcasters strength and magical power. more pigments obviously means more ambient magical energy and so stronger sorcerers. low pigments means weaker sorcerers, and NO pigments (such as in Margorian Lands) means no spell casting (except for liches and necromancers :p but thats another tale)

THats relaly just a brief overview from what i understand, im sure Al will add in more later but for now thats all i know ;) hope that helps!

Yeah this is the best way to describe it :)

Just a couple of minor things... colours from magic can be derived from ANY matter that has colour (not just living matter). Living matter gives off more colour as it is infused by the colour of a soul :)

Also, with regard to colourless terrain (in Margorian lands etc), this would not result in NO spellcasting for normal sorcerers, just limited spellcasting capabilities and hindered, if not static, regeneration of magical energies :)

For anyone out there who is interested in some basic lore for Naeralithian magic, google "Naeralith" and look at the magic section on my website.

The concept of pigments in the mod are based around the way magic works in Naeralith and, like TheChanger said, act as a currency that can be collected to spend in the Palette Tree.

I can't find anything about pigments in your mod :(

The details regarding pigments and the aforementioned Palette Tree will appear soon ;)
I intend to do some social policies alongside civ design and, once they are done, begin working on the Palette Tree alongside the civs :)

Stay tuned and you will see more soon! :D

Al

UPDATES

Added a self-modified version of TheChanger's design for Newetah and a highly butchered version of the Seelie Court design! :D

Also added a prohibited building to Athesia :)

Al

im loving your changes to newetah and seelie! good job there Al :D

I look forward to this mod immensely and can't wait to see how you deal with magic and it's technological implications.

Tunive Civilisation

Spoiler Tunive :

The Tuniveshe are an honourable people for whom family ties, loyalty and respect are of great importance.
They are masters of Ni'vae riding (Naeralith's horse equivalent), possessing mounted warfare techniques that have been honed from generation to generation.
To the people of Tunive, nothing is more glorious that riding across the plains of their homeland.

Leader: TBA
Alignment: Neutral

Traits

Ni'vae Lords: Ni'vae and iron resources provide double quantity. +1 global happiness per source of Ni'vae.
Steppe Riders: Mounted units get +1 move on open flatland terrain. Mounted Units ignore terrain penalties on open flatland terrain.

Heres a few ideas for Tunive. the main theme is Ni'vae. a lot of the UBs have to do with them.

an idea i had was that Tunive could revere Ni'vae (in a similar manner that india reveres cows) because they believe they are the descendents of a mystical sky spirit that created the first Tuniveshi. They coudl also believe that when the Tuniveshi die their souls are at risk of being consumed by a horrible deamon, however the Ni'vae are their spiritual defenders, galoping into the deamon and fighting it long enough for the Tuniveshi souls to escape its clutches and move to the next life. because of this their architecture tends to reach to the sky in multi level pagoda structures in a form of prayer, especially their temples.

Tea House: Replaces Herbalist; Yield Building; Cost 80; Maintenance 1; +1 food from each worked Alendus; +2 Culture; Heals units adjacent to the city +1 HP per turn.

Ni'vae Breeders: Replaces Granary; Yield Building; Cost 150; Maintenance 1; Requires Maelo, Slui, Sporral, Yumba or Ni'vae; +2 food; +1 food for each worked Maelo, Slui, Sporral, Yumba; Provides 1 source of Ni'vae.

Zen Garden: Replaces Garden; Yield Building; Cost 120; Maintenance 2; Requires River/Lake; +2 Bard; +33% GPP; +1 science and Culture from worked Fraeyalillies

Stables: Replaces Hippodrome; Military Building; Cost 60; Maintenance 1; Requires Barracks; Requires Ni'Vae/Striders; +20XP to all Heavy Cavalry and Light Cavalry units

Pagoda Temple: Replaces Temple; Cultural Building; Cost 120; Maintenance 2; Requires Monument; +1 Priest; +3 Culture. +2 culture from each nearby Ni'vae resource.

Show Jumping Course: Replaces Circus; Happiness Building; Cost 130; Maintenance 2; Requires Carnival; Requires Ni'Vae/Striders; +3 Happiness; +1 culture from worked Ni'vae resources.

Cloud Monestary: Replaces Monestary; Cultural Building; Cost 120; Maintenance 2; Requires Pagoda Temple; +1 Priest; +2 Culture; +2 culture from each nearby Incense and Ni'vae resource. +1 source of Ni'vae for each worked Ni'vae resource

Circle Bridges: Replaces Levee; Yield Building; Cost 120; Maintenance 3; +1 Culture from river tiles

Moflosian Games: Replaces Race Track; Happiness; Cost 150; Maintenance 3; Requires Show Jumping Course; Requires Ni'Vae/Striders; +4 Happiness +2 Culture from Ni'Vae and Strider resources nearby; +10 EXP to all Heavy Cavalry and Light Cavalry units

Sky Temple: Replaces Cathedral; Cultural Building; Cost 150; Maintenance 3; Requires Cloud Monestary; +2 Priest; +5 Culture; +3 Culture for each worked Marble; Obsidian and Ni'vae resource; +10% production for each worked Ni'vae resource.

I look forward to this mod immensely and can't wait to see how you deal with magic and it's technological implications.

Why thank you :)

It's still early days but I feel there is a decent amount of progress taking place :)

Magic will be coming soonish.... and its techological implications will be more apparent with civilisations such as Alvacon and Morzardrey :)

Al

Heres a few ideas for Tunive. the main theme is Ni'vae. a lot of the UBs have to do with them.

an idea i had was that Tunive could revere Ni'vae (in a similar manner that india reveres cows) because they believe they are the descendents of a mystical sky spirit that created the first Tuniveshi. They coudl also believe that when the Tuniveshi die their souls are at risk of being consumed by a horrible deamon, however the Ni'vae are their spiritual defenders, galoping into the deamon and fighting it long enough for the Tuniveshi souls to escape its clutches and move to the next life. because of this their architecture tends to reach to the sky in multi level pagoda structures in a form of prayer, especially their temples.

Tea House: Replaces Herbalist; Yield Building; Cost 80; Maintenance 1; +1 food from each worked Alendus; +2 Culture; Heals units adjacent to the city +1 HP per turn.

Ni'vae Breeders: Replaces Granary; Yield Building; Cost 150; Maintenance 1; Requires Maelo, Slui, Sporral, Yumba or Ni'vae; +2 food; +1 food for each worked Maelo, Slui, Sporral, Yumba; Provides 1 source of Ni'vae.

Zen Garden: Replaces Garden; Yield Building; Cost 120; Maintenance 2; Requires River/Lake; +2 Bard; +33% GPP; +1 science and Culture from worked Fraeyalillies

Stables: Replaces Hippodrome; Military Building; Cost 60; Maintenance 1; Requires Barracks; Requires Ni'Vae/Striders; +20XP to all Heavy Cavalry and Light Cavalry units

Pagoda Temple: Replaces Temple; Cultural Building; Cost 120; Maintenance 2; Requires Monument; +1 Priest; +3 Culture. +2 culture from each nearby Ni'vae resource.

Show Jumping Course: Replaces Circus; Happiness Building; Cost 130; Maintenance 2; Requires Carnival; Requires Ni'Vae/Striders; +3 Happiness; +1 culture from worked Ni'vae resources.

Cloud Monestary: Replaces Monestary; Cultural Building; Cost 120; Maintenance 2; Requires Pagoda Temple; +1 Priest; +2 Culture; +2 culture from each nearby Incense and Ni'vae resource. +1 source of Ni'vae for each worked Ni'vae resource

Circle Bridges: Replaces Levee; Yield Building; Cost 120; Maintenance 3; +1 Culture from river tiles

Moflosian Games: Replaces Race Track; Happiness; Cost 150; Maintenance 3; Requires Show Jumping Course; Requires Ni'Vae/Striders; +4 Happiness +2 Culture from Ni'Vae and Strider resources nearby; +10 EXP to all Heavy Cavalry and Light Cavalry units

Sky Temple: Replaces Cathedral; Cultural Building; Cost 150; Maintenance 3; Requires Cloud Monestary; +2 Priest; +5 Culture; +3 Culture for each worked Marble; Obsidian and Ni'vae resource; +10% production for each worked Ni'vae resource.

How interesting :)

I'll chat to you about these soon! :D

Al

Thanks Faerillis :D i almost missed this post :) im really looking forward to designing magic in more detail as well.

UPDATES

Added my Unseelie unique building design! :)

Hope you all like it! :D

Al

MINOR UPDATES

Tweaked a couple of the Unseelie Court and Minlaya buildings :)

Also added the details of unique promotions granted by buildings for Godembai, Newetah and Unseelie Court. Other (experience obtainable) unique promotions will be added to all civs later :)

Also, my Ak'dav design is almost complete and will be posted tomorrow! :D

Al

Brazain Totem should require Brazain not mulgorf ;)

UPDATES

Added my Ak'dav unique building design! :D

Also adjusted the Shafts building to have a worthwhile function and adjusted the Seelie Mountain Glades and Unseelie Hidden Watchers :)

Al

MORE UPDATES!

Added my Gebashi Highlanders unique building design and reworked their traits! :D

I will be incorporating Tunive soon! :)

Enjoy! :)

Al

UPDATES

Added divine magic design to Scarthia :)

This includes unique divine units, promotions and spells. In addition I have also included a few unique promotions for Scarthian units in general. Some of this may change a little after I've had some feedback from TheChanger :)

Also, there is a great deal of Arcane magic in the works, much of which has already been designed! :D

Stay tuned for more updates very soon! ;)

Al

UPDATES

Added the Slavery social policy tree to complete the slavery mechanics that are vital to the workings of several nations :)

Tomorrow I will be posting the first bits of arcane magic design, including the base colours that myself and TheChanger have been working on, as well as Elementalism :D

Also, I will attach some screenshots of the magical symbols that TheChanger has (wonderfully) put together! :D

Stay tuned tomorrow for more updates! :)

Al

nice work :) hows the coding going?

Top Bottom