Nag monk core + Light cav swarm

Elta

我不会把这种
So a guy on another forum asked me if I thought you can use Nag monks reliably as your core. So I made a video on how I do it for him, I thought some of you might be interested.

There is a link to the original thread in the video :)

[Copy-paste from here on down]

When I say I realize it is not a balanced army, I mean just that, It is however simple and fun.

And when I said "Run through people real quick" I like to have quick matches even if I know It's not the best army in the world.
I can do these matches in about 5 minutes and do 3 or 4 of them in the time it takes me to bring what I consider a balanced (has a chance to beat everything) army and those 15 or 20 minute matches are boring in my opinion either way.

There you go bro,
Link to video.

Not the best army in the world, but it works 2/3 times if not more.

Retainers I use:
Trade post (5% discount on all units - no brainier)
Portable monk shrine: 2+ Attack for monks
Way of Ikko Ikki 3+ Defense
Yari master 2+ Defense

Last, but possibly most importantly Livestock pestilence: This retainer slightly slows down the enemies cav units, which is huge because I am using light cav and light cav are as fast or faster than every other cav unit, however they will lose against any other cav unit. I have no intention of using my light cav to fight other cav unless it is a diversion or general assassination attempt. I should note that it is possible that the enemy will give their cav speed upgrades, in which case all this won't matter, but they are rare.

The key points here:

1. Each vanilla light cav unit is more than capable of taking out a bow unit in a direct charge, and a Matchlock unit in a rear/flank charge, each light cav unit only cost me 380 and an elite (useful) Matchlock or Bow unit is going to run any where from 1100 to 1500, a 380 Koku unit taking out one that is even 1100 is massively cost effective.

2. The light cav are able to be in more places at once. I could take two level 9 great guard and two light cav, or I can take 10 or 11 light cav, for example. Having a lot of highly mobile units allows you to be more flexible and hit or interrupt more of the enemy range units at once.

3. My monks are 66% of the total cost of my army and have two points in defense and two in offense, that's all. With the retainers they IIRC have 13 morale, 17 Attack and 17 Defense, coupled with their bonus vs cav, they are immune to cav essentially. However they only have two armor so they are HIGHLY susceptible to arrows and like every other unit to matchlock bullets. They cost 1045 each and I usually bring 8 (with two of them being slightly less vetted and slightly less expensive)

The only risk these units face only risk are:

I: An equal amount of Highly Vetted Katana or NoDachi Sam, however if I can sweep and swarm with my light cav, I am in the clear - and generally people do not bring more than 4 of these anyway.

II: A large amount of Loan Sword Ashigaru, these guys can be formidable, but they have to be protected by quite a few spear and are very quick to route when their leadership general is taken out. So if they have good spear and cav support, I am going to need to pick my battles here, probably will wade through one or two units of bow, then I can try to swarm their swords when I engage them or assassinate their general, they wont do well with the morale shock of their general being killed and being attacked in the rear by cav.

III: Being hit by arrows and bullets - The primary reason I bring my light cav is to keep the monks from getting shot at.

I do bring a leadership gen and my monks who already have high morale have even higher morale and I can EASILY drop stand and fight without any risk because I am surrounded by spears and that will deter most cav attacks on my general, even if they do attack him, I will pull one monk out in reserve and make short work of them. The only reason I didn't drop Stand and Fight or use my rally is because I knew once I punched my general through at his archers it was a wrap.

Top Bottom