National wonders and required buildings

Heh...I was curious too about this question so I will rephrase. If I build National College w/ 2 cities and plant a 3rd afterwards I assume National college doesn't work until I build a 3rd library, but until recently I had to build the National college again after the 3rd library was built. It didn't happen in my last game though, so I'm a bit confused.

If you really want to you can sell barracks in the cities your never going to build a unit from after building the National Epic; but that's only a savings of 1 gold per city you had at the time.

Also though, if playing the Russians, their unique building is worth keeping longer for the reduced cultural cost to expand.

I meant Heroic Epic, but you all got it!

Yes, the saving is just 1 gpt, but I'm playing Emperor now and notice that every little :c5gold:, :c5food:, :c5culture:, :c5production: or :c5science: makes a difference.

But maybe this is a good strategy for other National buildings which required buildings have higher maintenance cost.

Is the Heroic Epic worth it?
I find I often just don't have the hammers to spare to build lots of useless barracks. But the +15% strength is pretty juicy, especially as you can purchase all units in that one city.

This reminds me of another annoying bug.

Due to moving the NC to Philosophy, you quite often found your 2nd city while you're building your NC (my fault). However, it then takes you to your capital and informs you that the NC "is completed". Happy days, you think, so you change production leaving you with a half-finished NC and a paltry science rate.

Is the Heroic Epic worth it?
I find I often just don't have the hammers to spare to build lots of useless barracks. But the +15% strength is pretty juicy, especially as you can purchase all units in that one city.

I think it is worth it, specially if you need new well trained units regularly.

I meant Heroic Epic, but you all got it!

Yes, the saving is just 1 gpt, but I'm playing Emperor now and notice that every little :c5gold:, :c5food:, :c5culture:, :c5production: or :c5science: makes a difference.

But maybe this is a good strategy for other National buildings which required buildings have higher maintenance cost.

Barracks is really the only building that many cities don't really need. The rest are usefull.

I think it is worth it, specially if you need new well trained units regularly.

I build it too, usually early enough to only have 3-4 cities that needs barracks. They build quick and can be bought cheap, when you have got the ball rolling.

As Olleus says it makes a great city to rusbuy troops froms. Don't build it on the frontline, as you don't want to have a garrison (bogged down) in the city when you want to rushbuy. I don't want to build it in my capital either, as I during gameplay hammer troops out, and my capital have better things to do. My third city is usually placed as a production city, if my second city wasn't by chance (luxuries and good growth being prioritised.). This city then gets the epic, and the xp upgrade buildings including Brandenburg if all goes well.

If it has coastal access, your Navy will benefit too. Iron and horses will quicken unit productiontime. Many things make the perfect heroic epic city :).

I find Heroic Epic to come too late for Medieval wars (warmonger strategy). I think it's quite situational really. I mean building an NC seems to make you quite vulnerable to DoWs. Building the Heroic Epic makes it worse.

I think the timing could work for civs that attack in the Renaissance or later. I tried it with Russia, and it's ok, not great though imo

I build it too, usually early enough to only have 3-4 cities that needs barracks. They build quick and can be bought cheap, when you have got the ball rolling.

As Olleus says it makes a great city to rusbuy troops froms. Don't build it on the frontline, as you don't want to have a garrison (bogged down) in the city when you want to rushbuy. I don't want to build it in my capital either, as I during gameplay hammer troops out, and my capital have better things to do. My third city is usually placed as a production city, if my second city wasn't by chance (luxuries and good growth being prioritised.). This city then gets the epic, and the xp upgrade buildings including Brandenburg if all goes well.

If it has coastal access, your Navy will benefit too. Iron and horses will quicken unit productiontime. Many things make the perfect heroic epic city :).

That's right! Having a coastal city with lots of militaristic building is very important for your navy. Whenever I can I adress a coastal city to be focused on :c5production: and units, specially naval units.

Honestly, the Heroic Epic is one main reason I pretty much always play Russia. The other three reasons are their UA, UB, and UU. I tend to play pretty defensively until the Industrial Era, and Cossacks remain solid defensive units until the Modern Era, and I think the 15% Combat Bonus helps–especially with Nationalism/Order forcing one to abandon Freedom. Using them on the attack is tricky, as once you're up against artillery and air power they can be wiped out in the blink of an eye. However, upgrading to a Cossack Tank or Modern Armour is pretty enjoyable, whether it's worthwhile or not.

Top Bottom