• Cherokee

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stomper66

Warlord
PLEASE CAST TWO VOTES ONLY
(NO PREFERENCE)

I created this thread so that members can have a discussion on all civs native to the Americas (North, Central and South).

Feel free to post your ideas and suggestions for any of these civs. Pictures and links are encouraged.

Even though it's not likely to happen with the release of the Cree I designed an idea for the Iroquois a few days ago (my personal favourite). I'll start things off by showing it along with the comments.

Last edited:
IROQUOIS
Leader: Hiawatha

99ecbbbd354db69599400e4abd9ecbb7.jpg

Capital: Onondaga
Leader Ability: Founder of the Five Nations
  • Trade routes to other civilisations in alliance with Iroquois provide +2 Production +2 Science for Iroquois.
  • Trade Routes from other civilisations in alliance with Iroquois provide +2 Gold and +2 Culture to that civilisation and +2 Gold for Iroquois.
  • Iroquois gain 5% Science from every civilisation declared friend who have a trade route with the Iroquois
Unique Ability: Strategic Alliances
  • All land units receive +1 combat strength for every declaration of friendship the currently hold and +1 combat strength for every alliance that they currently hold.
  • All land units receive +5 combat strength when fighting a joint war with an ally.
Unique Unit: Mohawk Warrior
  • Unique melee unit that replaces the musket man after gaining the gunpowder technology.
  • Does not require nitre.
  • Movement bonus when moving through forest tiles.
  • Heals at every turn. Even after moving or attacking. (This is based on the iroquois concept of mourning wars where defeated rivals would join the iroquois to replenish numbers.)
Unique Tile Improvement: Longhouse
  • Unique tile improvement that comes available after the irrigation technology
  • +1 Housing +1 Culture +1 Production +1 Food
  • +2 Production + 2 Food and +2 Gold to every unworked forest tile adjacent to the longhouse
  • +1 Production to forest tiles adjacent longhouse if adjacent river, +1 When steel technology is unlocked.
  • Longhouse provides additional +1 housing after sanitation technology is unlocked.
  • Longhouse improvements cannot be built next to each other
AI Agenda
  • Likes civilisations who have sent a trade route to his cities. Does not like civilisations with few trade routes or have not sent a trade route to him.
Summary
The Iroquois are meant to play as a civ who settle in heavily forested areas to make the most use out of their longhouse tile improvement. Their starting bias for starting near forests would be 1 or 2. The iroquois would turtle up in these areas concentrating on food, gold, culture and production. In the mid game the Iroquois could catch up on science through forming alliances and sending trade routes to these civilisations. The Iroquois could also become much more aggressive and expansionist in the renaissance era as they will gain access to their unique unit and will gain a large combat bonus from fighting joint wars with allies. When the Iroquois learn to plant new forests, form more alliances and create additional trade routes they could go on to become a production and science powerhouse, making them a strong contender for the science victory.

Because there is little information on Hiawatha Firaxis could take some artistic license with the new leader. I would like to see a Hiawatha who is lacking in science at the start but eventually beats other civilisations at their own game by boosting his science through trading and eventually becoming the undisputed leader in technology. It would also be nice to see him not as just some stereotypical passive peaceful native American ( ''Oh hey pound maker'') but as a cunning leader who draws his strength through trade and alliances and fights opportunistic joint wars. It would be good to maybe make Hiawatha intimidating, industrious and slightly sinister. I was thinking along the lines of Magua from the last of the mohicans. I've added some pictures to give an idea of how I envision the Iroquois.

376965.1.jpg

Hiawatha based on this Badass

indians-french-and-indian-war.jpg

Mohawk Warriors

balance-of-honesty.jpg

BU00034lg.jpg

Iroquois bennefitting through trade and alliances.

A good idea to introduce the iroquois would be a French Indian war scenario where the civ plays the British and French off against each other and uses trade the terrain and its unique unit and abilities to come out on top from the conflict. Sorry for the long post i'm just really passionate about this civ and i don't think i'm the only one so please let me know what you think.

Nice ideas, if possibly a little strong. The longhouse in particular would give the Iroquois a very good start with a forest bias.

You could pretty much repeat the leader ability for a female leader in Jigonhsasee, who according to tradition co-founded the confederacy with Hiawatha and the Great Peacemaker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jigonhsasee).

A more historical leader would be Thayendanegea (aka Joseph Brant), but I see the appeal of a pre-colonial leader for a Native American civ, even if the details are sketchy.

Judging by her Wikipedia entry, Jigonhsasee would bring housing and diplomatic/alliance bonuses, and either an agenda or leader ability named "Mother of Nations".

She seems to have been very important for the founding of the Iroquois Confederacy given that her hearth was a neutral zone for all, including warriors (Jigonhsasee means "she who lives on the road to war"). So there is a slight avenue for giving her military alliance bonuses too, or maybe healing wounded units faster near neutral territory, etc.

I think Jigonhsasee could mesh well with the trade related bonuses you considered in your Iroquois Civ idea. :)

Yes definitely. I think it's quite nice that the Iroquois Confederacy was set up by 2 men and a woman so all are just as justified as one another to lead the civ. Personally I think Hiawatha would be better at portraying the Iroquois play style, but if having another strong female propels the chances of the Iroquois being selected then I would compromise. It's good to see that Jigonhsasee 'mother of nations could' fit in well with Iroquois units healing well in friendly territory and forest tiles. If you have more ideas on a better Iroquois please suggest it it was only a rough attempt by me. The longhouse might be a bit OP. It could be amended but i wouldn't want it too similar to the Cree Mekewap.

Also if there is a Native American Civ you would like to suggest please let me know and I will add it to the poll. No ideas are bad ideas but it has to be native American ie no Canada, Mexico, Argentina etc.

Last edited:
All of those seem like good options to me, and I'd support any of these inclusions. Inca would be the most fitting as a full civilization, so I voted for them. Really want to see the Maya and Iroquois as well, personally. It's a shame we cannot add Pueblo to that list, and really we should be allowed to have the Pueblo in the game..
Strictly for a niche civ, I would very much like to see the Inuit in the game too. Of course, they weren't an actual civilization by technical standards, however they are certain to add some unique mechanics to the game that we have never seen before in the series, due to their focus on living in the Arctic and on the ice. I think it could be a lot of fun, and quite different, so I want them anyway...A bit like how we had the Huns ~ it was more fun than realistic, but I'm completely cool with that, provided it really adds something interesting to the game.

The Shawnee would definitely be interesting. I don't know if it is on their radar or not.
Leader: Tecumseh
Agenda: Tippecanoe: Likes civilizations that do not take away their land tiles. Dislikes civilizations that take away his land tiles.
Leader Ability: The Prophet's Brother- Gain 100 Faith every time you declare a War of Retribution (a new Casus Belli). Military Alliances provide an increase of culture in cities depending on the level.
Unique Ability: Pelewathiipi- Gain extra defense when defending across rivers and border tiles in your territory. Tiles adjacent to rivers provide culture and gold.
Unique Unit: Shawnee Brave- Replaces the Archer- Melee strength of 30 as well as Archer ranged strength. (Not sure what Brave/Warrior is in the language)
Unique Building: Takatchenoke Wigwa (Council House) Replaces Granary- provides 2 more housing and food for every resource farmed in the city.

All of those seem like good options to me, and I'd support any of these inclusions. Inca would be the most fitting as a full civilization, so I voted for them. Really want to see the Maya and Iroquois as well, personally. It's a shame we cannot add Pueblo to that list, and really we should be allowed to have the Pueblo in the game..
Strictly for a niche civ, I would very much like to see the Inuit in the game too. Of course, they weren't an actual civilization by technical standards, however they are certain to add some unique mechanics to the game that we have never seen before in the series, due to their focus on living in the Arctic and on the ice. I think it could be a lot of fun, and quite different, so I want them anyway...A bit like how we had the Huns ~ it was more fun than realistic, but I'm completely cool with that, provided it really adds something interesting to the game.

The Shawnee would definitely be interesting. I don't know if it is on their radar or not.
Leader: Tecumseh
Agenda: Tippecanoe: Likes civilizations that do not take away their land tiles. Dislikes civilizations that take away his land tiles.
Leader Ability: The Prophet's Brother- Gain 100 Faith every time you declare a War of Retribution (a new Casus Belli). Military Alliances provide an increase of culture in cities depending on the level.
Unique Ability: Pelewathiipi- Gain extra defense when defending across rivers and border tiles in your territory. Tiles adjacent to rivers provide culture and gold.
Unique Unit: Shawnee Brave- Replaces the Archer- Melee strength of 30 as well as Archer ranged strength. (Not sure what Brave/Warrior is in the language)
Unique Building: Takatchenoke Wigwa (Council House) Replaces Granary- provides 2 more housing and food for every resource farmed in the city.

Both good ideas! Inuit and Shawnee would be two unique civs and bring a lot to the game. Inuit would be good to have a civ that settles in snow tiles. Shawnee look like a good defensive civ and think there needs to be great plain type civ in the game to stop U.S expansion in the world map. I've added them to the poll anyway.

I'd love to see the Tlingit make a debut to represent the Pacific Northwest.

Them, or the Haida, would be perfect to represent an area we've never seen before in civ. They'd also be great candidates for a raw culture-focused civ, which we haven't seen much of. Their society, art, and technology is simply fascinating.

Lakota (aka Sioux) are my personal pick for a Great Plains Civ. I believe there was a Colonial Legacies mod for them that I quite enjoyed (which involved migrating buffalo within the borders which claimed terrain). They're also one of the few tribes to practice the Ghost Dance which could make a cool ability (units survive the first killing blow with one hit point left) I'd love to see something similar in Civ 6.

I'd love to see the Tlingit make a debut to represent the Pacific Northwest.

Them, or the Haida, would be perfect to represent an area we've never seen before in civ. They'd also be great candidates for a raw culture-focused civ, which we haven't seen much of. Their society, art, and technology is simply fascinating.
Oh, yes please!

Not sure what ability they should have, but they sure look cool! And totem polls are very iconic, so it's easy to know what their improvement/district will look like...

Great ideas so far! I really like the pictures for the Tlingit it seems you have nailed this civ down for art style, leader and abilities. The Lakota seem interesting as well Ghost Dance would be interesting and would certainly be the ability with the coolest name. I've added the Tlingit and the Lakota to the list.

Ive also changed the vote number from 1 to 2 votes. This allows fans to vote for a likely favourite like the inca, but they can also vote for a less well know civ as well. Keep the good ideas coming!

Last edited:
The Muscogee/Creek are quite interesting as well, actually. They've had several confederacies (possible Alliance bonus), are presumed to be direct descendants of Native-American Mississippian culture (possible Wonder Bonus), practised the Stomp Dance (maybe a special command Creek soldiers can use, which gives them an attack boost on the next turn), and a Green Corn Ceremony (more adjecency from farms? gets more food from clearing features?). They're very versatile and it wouldn't even be that much of a stretch to add in a few Cherokee or Choktaw features as these tribes were very closely related culturally and linguistically, and would often align under the same banner in wars.

They're also one of the easiest NA nations to find City lists of, since most of their settlements retained their original names after colonization (Okmulgee, Pensacola, Tuscarora, Tallahassee, etc) and the colonists kept a lot of written records about the area and the people living in it.

Finally, the fashion police side of me would also like to point out their leaders look fabulous and clearly stand out from what we're used to in this franchise:
Spoiler :

I rest my case. :)

Regarding the Pacific Northwesterners, I posted a set of abilities for the Haida (including a Totem/Crest pole that allows an additional pantheon choice for each city) in the pinned civ design thread. The subsequent discussion has some good ideas for leaders/alternate abilities, and if you look over that thread more broadly, you'll find a lot of other interesting ideas for pre-colonial American civs.

Thanks for sharing your ideas. The Muscogee and the Haida look great. I've added them to the poll. I've only just been able to play Indonesia with the Fall update (I have a mac so had to wait) and I must say I really enjoy playing this Civ. It's good have another a civ who settle and uses their improvements in certain type of land ie Indonesia settling on coasts and islands to make use of the Kampung. Egypt settling in deserts to make use of Floodplains and the Sphinx. For me having a civ being from and excelling in a certain part of the world enhances the game and it would be good to see Native American civs playing out in this way. I really dislike the opposite in games ie Vikings in deserts and Egyptians in the arctic.

Shawnee look like a good defensive civ and think there needs to be great plain type civ in the game to stop U.S expansion in the world map.
Thanks although they technically aren't a Great Plains tribe, at least they weren't originally before they were moved to their reservation. Their unique ability is their name for the Ohio River which they lived around in the valley. It then eventually formed the southern border between their new home, The Northwest Territory, and the U.S. when they got pushed back over the river.

I changed it to two votes so that people could vote for their main and choose one of the lesser known options for more variety. A civ like the Inca will probably be the most popular anyway so it's just a bit of fun to choose another. If you can cast more than two votes I can't change that now so please just keep it at two.

Who's looking forward to seeing the Inca Preview tomorrow? :yup:

Last edited:
Definitely looking forward to seeing the clues for tomorrow.

I'd also like to suggest adding the Choctaw to the list. They are one of the groups that descend from the Mississippians and Pushmataha is a really strong leader choice.

I've added Choctaw and Mapuche to the list. I noticed fans believing Mapuche might very well be the next civ released. With the Inca being the most popular choice so far, I thought I would ask whether people would be happy having this civ instead of the Inca. The Mapuche seem to have an interesting leader in Lautaro and it's a civ we've never seen before.

Do you think Firaxis should continue introducing new civs with an emphasis on leaders in history or should they release more of the the in demand seen been civs? This thread would be good for this discussion since the poll contains a good mix of obscure but exciting never seen before choices and old time favourites from previous games.

Back
Top Bottom