Native Unit Names ...possible?

yenemus

Chieftain
Hi, I'm new to these forums and I only really registered to put forward this idea.

You know how you can rename your units in the game? I was wondering if it was possible to somehow make it so that the units you create are automatically named depending on your civilization. I think this would make the game a lot more fun as your armies and even workers would have a bit of character. Maybe your generals could develop titles as they gained more experience (e.g. "the Mighty" or "<opponentcivname>-Bane")

As you can probably tell, I don't know anything about scripting or even modding really, but I was wondering if somebody could figure out a way to make it possible. I would be more than happy then to provide native names for all the different civs.

Thanks for reading

/yenemus

Welcom to CFC!

it should be possible to do what you say. grat people already have names, and i think there is a mod that changes those names to be Civ specific, like you said...

Every unit can have a list of names - just like great people do. Look into Civ4UnitInfo.xml.

The trouble ist, the list is per unit, not per civ. So to make unit - let's say Battleship - having civ spcific names, you would have to dublicate the unit for every civ. Its doable, but the - already pretty long - unit infos xml would become huge... And think of the mess within the civilopedia...

This schould be doable via Python as well, i guess, but i do not know how :S

Yeah, I see what you mean with the mess it would make if you duplicated every unit for each Civ. =/

Hmm, what's Python? (Sounds like a thread of hope =D)

Well Python is a programing language. People can cutomize Civ IV by writing scripts to handle certain Actions/Events. There is a "New Init Created"-Event, so it is possible possible to plug in a script there, naming all new Units as they leave the assembly line. I will write a script doing this and look how it works and if it produces any performance issues.

Top Bottom