Native Wonders

Mentos

Prince
Native Wonders
- This modification is dedicated to all patriots who dislike Wonders in wrong Civilizations

Place of Origin
- Wonders can only be build by the Civilization where they have historically been built
- Oxford University, Hermitage, and Circus Maximus received a neutral description (e.g. National University)
- United Nations can still be build by everyone due Diplomatic Victory condition
- Construct Wonder missions of City States disabled because chance is too high desired Wonders are missing

Home of Orphans
- Angor Wat houses Siam
- Cristo Redentor embraces Spain
- Sydney Opera House performs for England

Balance of Power
- Added free sub-buildings to proper wonders
- Tweaked data of some (custom) wonders and moved them to proper technology/times

Challenge of Wonders (# = maximum terrain distance)
- Additional requirements for Wonders added for a little challenge to build them like at the native location
- The Great Lighthouse: Coast, Flat, The Great Library
- Stonehenge: Grass (1), Flat
- The Great Library: Coast, Flat
- The Pyramids: Desert (1), River
- The Oracle: Hill, Mountain (2)
- The Colossus: Coast, Flat
- The Hanging Gardens: Flat, River, Palace
- Angkor Wat: Flat, River, Walls
- The Hagia Sophia: Coast, Palace
- Chichen Itza: Plains (1), Flat
- Machu Picchu: Mountain (2), Hill, River
- Notre Dame: Flat, River, Palace
- The Porcelain Tower: Flat, River
- Himeji Castle: Coast, River, Walls, Palace
- Sistine Chapel: River, Palace
- The Kremlin: River, Palace, Walls
- The Forbidden Palace: Flat, River, Walls, Palace
- Taj Mahal: Flat, River
- Big Ben: Flat, Coast, River, Palace
- The Louvre: Flat, River, Palace
- Brandenburg Gate: Flat, River, Walls, Palace
- Statue of Liberty: Flat, Coast, River
- Christo Redentor: Coast, Hill
- Eiffel Tower: Flat, River, Palace
- Pentagon: Flat, River, Palace
- Sydney Opera House: Coast, Flat
- Many custom wonders also changed

Compatibility
- DLCs: Babylon, Mongols, Inca, Spain, Polynesia, and Denmark
- Mods included: Native Terrain
- Mods: Building Made Fun or CiVUP/TBC, Unity Mod, The Seven Ancient Wonders, Additional Wonders, More Wonders, and others
- Install and activate Native Wonders after BMF or TBC, UT, and other wonder mods
- Only English language supported
- Native Wonders can be added to or removed from a game session

v18
- "Karnak Wonder" support for Egypt added
v17
- Adjusted all (custom) wonders according to patch 1.332 changes
- Additional requirements for Wonders added for a little challenge to build them like at the native location
- Added "Native Terrain" mod to support the additional terrain requirements
- Added "Florence Cathedral Wonder" support for Rome ("Culture per Pop" mod not required)
v16
- "Malwiya Minaret Wonder" changed to Arabia
- Added "The Grand Canal Wonder" support for Rome added
- Added "Taipei 101 Wonder" support for China
v15
- Added some wonder tweaks
- Added "Wartburg Wonder" support for Germany
- Added "Torre del Oro Wonder" support for Spain
v14
- Added some custom wonder tweaks
- Added Building Made Fun mod support
- "Valley of the Kings" support for Egypt added
- "Malwiya Minaret Wonder" support for Babylon added
v13
- "Alhambra Wonder" support for Spain added
- "Broadway Wonder" support for America added
v12
- "Oriental Pearl Tower Wonder" support for China added
v11
- "Temple of Heaven Wonder" support for China added
- "Golden Gate Bridge Wonder" support for America added
v10
- Denmark support added
- "International Space Station" support as National Wonder for America, England, France, Germany, Greece, Japan, Rome, Russia, Spain, and Denmark
- "Carneval Wonder" support as National Wonder for America, Aztecs, England, France, Germany, Greece, India, Rome, Russia, Inca, Spain, and Denmark
- "Gateway Arch Wonder" support for America added
- "Large Hadron Collider Wonder" support as National Wonder for England, France, Germany, Greece, Rome, Spain, and Denmark
v9
- "Schloss Neuschwanstein Wonder" support for Germany added
v8
- Moved some custom wonders to proper technologies
- "Teotihuacan" support for the Aztecs added
- "Sankore Madrasah Wonder" support for Songhai added
- "Magellan's Expedition Wonder" support for Spain added
v7
- "Abu Simbel Wonder" support for Egypt added
- "Potala Palace Wonder" support for China added
- "Wat Phra Kaew Wonder" support for Siam added
- "Blue Mosque" support for the Ottomans added
- "Burj Khalifa" support for Arabia added
v6
- "Pont du Gard Wonder" support for Rome added
- "The Golden Pavilion" support for Japan added
v5
- Fixed issue that Native Wonders doesn't work when not using TBC
- Removed History of the Making II mod support due gameplay incompatibility
v4
- Added mod support of The Seven Ancient Wonders, Additional Wonders, and History in the Making II
v3
- Some National Wonders have received a nationalized description
- Construct Wonder missions of City States disabled
v2
- Fixed several bugs
v1
- Public Release

Download

Installation
1. Copy/Move the *. civ5mod file into C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
2. Run Civilization V, go to Mods/Browse Mods and click the Install Mods button in the Installed tab
3. Enable the mod by clicking the round button on the right
4. Start a Single Player game back in the Mods menu

Supported mods won't work together?
Try following method while running the game
:
1. Run the game and go to the Browse Mods menu
2. Install any mods
3. Alt-Tab out of the running game and filebrowse to the C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS folder
4. Move every mod folder, or only those where mod loading order is important, inside into an empty folder, e.g. \Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Patch or better into a newly created \Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Backup folder. Best to move out each mod's folder one by one, otherwise the mod list isn't always updated
5. Tab back into the game and check if the mod list in the Browse Mods menu is empty
6. Tab out and move every mod folder from \Backup back to \MODS but only one by one in the proper activation order and not all at same time!
7. Tab back into the game and activate all mods in the proper order

Sounds great! I use an older mod that didn't change the non-civ wonders.

If I may ask, how can I change the civs that can build them? How is your XML set up?

Yes, I took a look at this old mod too and was suprised how much easier it is doable without any complicated tech and dummy stuff.
It's only the Agra Fort, Circus Maximus, Hermitage, and Oxford University of National Wonders that are nation exclusive.

Don't ask, just download it and take a look at it yourself. It just takes remarks with <!-- --> to allow certain civilizations to build them. You could also delete whole entries of course.
All modifications in this XML file should take affect when you load your game session again. Adding the mod to a game session will also keep already built foreign Wonders but it's possible that currently built ones will be canceled.

I took a quick peek at it, but my knowledge of modding is very limited, so I wasn't sure how you set it up to work. Sounds pretty easy, though!

Adding new Civs/Wonders looks like simply a copy/paste/edit job (I hope).

Thanks a bunch!

Heh, my modding ability is limited as well hence my simple mods so far.
Yeah, there are a couple of New Wonders and a few New Civilization mods out there but I haven&#8217;t taken a look at them yet.
I&#8217;m currently playing only with Thal&#8217;s Balance Combined Mod which changes two National Wonders and adds another one. Those are already supported.
As long as modders only replaces Wonders and keep the building-classes, they should stay civ-exclusive. Totally new ones have to be added to my mod.

I'm only going to add new Civilizations and Wonders by demand. You may do suggestions here which mods should be supported.

Do the "perks" of the wonders transfer upon conquest? I know in Civ IV they did not, but haven't noticed whether or not they do in V. If so it just adds another level of necessary conquest for less 'wonderful' civs to collect what they can't naturally build -- if not, it seems like certain civs will wind up being short changed, poor Mongolia.

I haven't tested yet what happens if you conquer cities with Wonders. I only know you keep Wonders already built in your cities if you add the mod later to your game session, so I guess no effect will ever be removed somehow. It's only the ability to build them what has been removed.

Mentos, I took a quick look through the file again, and it seems there are some errors.

Some Wonders don't have valid Civ entries, some Wonders have too many entries, and some DLC notations and entries are not in correct places.

Might want to have a second look through it yourself.

Okay, I'll check it out slowly again in the miles long file. Mistakes happen too easily with massive copy/paste operations.

Oh boy, I must have been on drugs when I released v1. Here is v2 now with hopefully everything working as intended!

Download

All missing Wonders should be buildable now. Egypt can build the Great Library now instead of Greece, and no DLC Civ can build the Great Lighthouse anymore.

No worries, I know how daunting that file is as I've been going through and rearranging it for my own use.

This time I have punched a space between each Wonder and added an additional remark-line. That helps a bit scrolling up and down the whole mess.

So yeah, I've checked all 23 civilizations in-game and haven't noticed any inconsistency in their tech-trees. I've even removed the DLC folders and TBC mod to see if something bugs. A long session test still hasn't been made yet though.

If anyone still founds something strange or likes to see his favorite Wonder mod exclusively then drop a line here.

So, how does it play for you?

I personally like being relieved from this tiresome and stressful wonder race. You can focus now more on expansion and building up a military force, especially at beginning where mainly the capital is most productive.
Most nations have given a little exclusive boost, but that still shouldn&#8217;t have a huge impact.

What could really bring out of balance was rather the fact that usually the human player was getting too powerful by massing most if not all wonders over the time. At least I had always the megalomanic motivation wanting to own them all.
I&#8217;m finally healed now.

Edit: And another too-early release: I'm going to change the description of Hermitage to National Museum and Oxford University to National University. Culture gain is already very slow enough with the Wonder restriction. Circus Maximus and TBC Agra Fort is also getting a new description.
All national wonders should be available for every Civ again.

Re-release of v3 coming soon.

v3
- Some National Wonders have received a more national description
- Construct Wonder missions of City States disabled

Download

For TBC users: I had to turn the Baths of Trajan aka. Circus Maximus back to a Colosseum type so the description change to National Colosseum make any sense. The happiness bonus and the "building x in 80% of all cities required" change of TBC is still valid.
If you don't like this then just delete all Circus Maximus entries at the end of the XML file.

Sounds good, I've been enjoying the mod. Would it be possible to add support for all the Wonders in these mods?

Additional Wonders

Seven Ancient Wonders - "History in the Making" also includes the Statue of Zeus, but I'm not sure if they use the same naming in code.

v4
- Added mod support of The Seven Ancient Wonders, Additional Wonders, and History in the Making II

Download

The Seven Ancient Wonders
Mausoleum of Mausolus – Persia
Statue of Zeus – Greece
Temple of Artemis – Greece

Additional Wonders
The Totem – The Iroquois
The Sphinx – Egypt
Tower of Babel – Babylon DLC
Solomon’s Temple – Arabia
Isthar Gate – Babylon DLC
The Parthenon – Greece
Platonic Academy – Greece
Pergamon Altar – Greece
Petra – Arabia
Flavian Amphitheatre – Rome
Moai Statues – obsolete due Polynesia DLC Moai feature
Panama Canal – America
Three Gorges Dam – China

History in the Making II
Broadway – America
Hollywood – America
Rock ‘n’ Roll – America
Area 51 – America
World Trade Center – America
Cure of Cancer – everyone
Oktoberfest – Germany
Statue of Zeus – Greece (different class than in Seven Ancient Wonders mod)

Hey, quick work!

I'd probably suggest leaving the HitM wonders open to everyone. They may be named after certain locations/buildings, but they work better as concepts in my opinion ("Major Movie Production Locale" rather than "Hollywood").

No problem, I haven't played with this HitM mod yet. I'm going to remove its entries in the next version.
Only wonder-only mods/packs will be supported then besides TBC.

Might as well keep it's Statue of Zeus code in, just to cover that base.

Top Bottom