Nba 2007-2008

This has been the week of ridiculous trades. Kwame Brown-Pau Gasol was absurd. The Lakers got an all star level center for Kwame... unbelievable. It's almost criminal and in a fantasy league it would be vetoed because it would certainly imbalance the competitiveness of the league. Now the Lakers should automatically be legit title contenders. What a nice frontcourt they have now...

And the Suns make me want to cry. They are really one of my favourites, and they traded away Marion, the perfect compliment to Nash, for Shaq. Maybe I'm missing something here, hopefully Dantoni and Kerr will prove me wrong, but I think this is the end of the franchise. Good lord, Shaq for Marion. :rolleyes:

This has been the week of ridiculous trades. Kwame Brown-Pau Gasol was absurd. The Lakers got an all star level center for Kwame... unbelievable. It's almost criminal and in a fantasy league it would be vetoed because it would certainly imbalance the competitiveness of the league. Now the Lakers should automatically be legit title contenders. What a nice frontcourt they have now...

Brown's contract is up soon, so this seems like an attempt to get room under the salary cap for the Grizzlies. It is a stupid move though. They basically gave away a very good young big player of all star caliber away for an unproven guard and two first round pick. Big steal for the Lakes, IMHO...

And the Suns make me want to cry. They are really one of my favourites, and they traded away Marion, the perfect compliment to Nash, for Shaq. Maybe I'm missing something here, hopefully Dantoni and Kerr will prove me wrong, but I think this is the end of the franchise. Good lord, Shaq for Marion. :rolleyes:

I'm reading quite a lot of reports that make a lot of sense. In essense: Nash is getting old. If the Suns want to win a championship, they need to win it in the next 2-3 years. Marion isn't going to make that happen, because Stoudemire can't hold his own defensively against the other big guys in the playoffs. Shaq could be a mayor asset there, though he's be of no use in their Run-and-Gun style. Also Grant Hill is pretty old. Seems to me like the SUns are loading up for a 2-year attempt to get a championship and they'll accept the long-term consequences...

Also, Marion is said to be a bit of a locker-room problem... Good player though.

Who else is available? Kidd is obviously not a need, the Grizz would not take their offer (for whatever reason), and Jefferson/Vince Carter adds no new dimension.

Shaq is not much slower than Kurt Thomas, and he was a great addition to Phoenix.

Scoop Jackson has just about convinced me this was a good trade. I think they could have gotten the better O Niel from Indy though for about the same price

How is this a good deal? The Suns lost their best defender (Marion) and now have a slow injured hunk of fat that doesn't fit in their run and gun offense.

Even with Nash, who makes everyone better, Shaq doesn't figure to return to the dominant center he once was.

If you look at the players the Suns could have gotten for Marion: AK-47, Jermaine O'Neal, and Kevin Garnett (before start of the season), you have to really wonder what Steve Kerr was thinking.

---

I agree with the Lakers trade for Gasol, excellent steal.
But, it seems three of the top Laker players are injured right now. (Bryant - finger, Gasol - back, Bynum - knee). Will they get healthy enough to become an elite team before the playoffs start?

Who else is available? Kidd is obviously not a need, the Grizz would not take their offer (for whatever reason), and Jefferson/Vince Carter adds no new dimension.

Shaq is not much slower than Kurt Thomas, and he was a great addition to Phoenix.

They didn't have to trade. At the time they were leading a very competitive west and were only 4 games behind Boston, all the while having played a lot of games on the road. And about Kurt being a great addition, I think that is something of an overstatement. But the point is, they didn't have to give up Marion to get Kurt.

The West is an unforgiving conference this year. If any playoff bound team shows even minor problems, they can lose homecourt fast and even fall out of the playoffs. If Shaq doesn't integrate quickly and Phoenix struggles, watch out. I hope I'm wrong, because I would like to see Nash win a championship.

How is this a good deal? The Suns lost their best defender (Marion) and now have a slow injured hunk of fat that doesn't fit in their run and gun offense.

Even with Nash, who makes everyone better, Shaq doesn't figure to return to the dominant center he once was.

If you look at the players the Suns could have gotten for Marion: AK-47, Jermaine O'Neal, and Kevin Garnett (before start of the season), you have to really wonder what Steve Kerr was thinking.
?

I agree. There are a lot of question marks with Shaq: He is old, he is injury prone, he is no longer a defensive presence, I wouldn't even call him dominant in terms of boards and he is slow. Nash does seem to make everyone play better so hopefully he can ignite Shaq, but it is a desperate gamble.

I think Shaq is ignited. He may surprise you guys. :eek:

Doc Holliday in Tombstone: 'Oh, I wasn't as sick as I made out'

^^ Yeah, Scoop Jackson just might have me convinced that this could be a good trade.

The suns are going to be blown up in 3 years anyways. Might as well make a run for that title now.

I don't buy that the Suns could stay pat and win the West. Their best team was last year's and it got handled in 6 games by a lesser San Antonio team. The year before, the previously underachieving Mavs got their chance by beating the Suns, and the year before that the Spurs beat them in every way possible. This year, there are more contenders than ever before even in the East.

Nash won't be around forever. Team chemistry would suffer over time with Marion being a malcontent...I can understand Kerr wanting to pull the trigger on something that could potentially, be a huge spark to this team.

I don't buy that the Suns could stay pat and win the West. Their best team was last year's and it got handled in 6 games by a lesser San Antonio team. The year before, the previously underachieving Mavs got their chance by beating the Suns, and the year before that the Spurs beat them in every way possible. This year, there are more contenders than ever before even in the East.

Nash won't be around forever. Team chemistry would suffer over time with Marion being a malcontent...I can understand Kerr wanting to pull the trigger on something that could potentially, be a huge spark to this team.

I understand that Kerr wanted to remove a locker room malcontent, but you'd think he'd be able to get a more capable player than Shaq that would fit in Phoenix's run and gun offense, like AK-47.

I fail to see how Shaq will help Phoenix right now.

Good trade, the Western Conference playoffs are going to be amazing this year.

I don't think Scoop Jackson's going to be able to convince me on this one in the long term. Short term for the Mav's, sure. Long term, it's a dumb move.

The trade has been blocked by the Dallas player.

Devean George. What are you doing! >:O

Oh well, it will still probably go through.

The playoff race from 1-8 is so evenly balanced, its incredible.
The 8th seed of the West will probably have a 50+win record.

But, it doesn't really matter, since the two top teams (record-wise) are in the East right now.

Devean George is watching out for his own interests. The man won't see any playing time on the Nets this year with the logjam they have at SF/SG. Whereas in Dallas he is at least going to see the floor for 15-20 minutes a night. The mans in a contract year, he has to look out for his own interests. That's why he signed the contract with Dallas before the season to begin with. He'll accept a trade to any team, as long as he's guaranteed to get playing time like he does in Dallas. NJ can't offer that. It's Dallas' fault for sticking him in the trade to begin with.

If that trade happens, and the Nets buy out Stackhouse's contract, is there a way the Cavs can sign him before the Mavs can? We could use some bench support.

I've also heard we might ship Ira Newble and maybe Shannon Brown to Portland for Jarett Jack

No, the Stack is pretty set on going back to the Mavs in that scenario.

On another note, the Hawks just made a great deal for themselves, finally picking up the true point guard they desperately need in Mike Bibby. They got him for three scrubs and 2006 first rounder Shelden Williams, who has done nothing since joining the league, but that's mainly due being behind Marvin Williams...the 2005 first rounder on the depth chart.

Top Bottom