NBA hack and slash

skadistic

Caomhanach
I don't like b-ball and seldom watch it but the hack and slash fouling at the last 5 minuets is horrible. And looks like bad sportsmanship to me.

Should it be banned or something? Or am I just getting to soft?

Are you talking about when in the last minute or so teams will intentionally foul, and give the other team a free throw, in order to gain possession? If so, I think that it is a really stupid part of the game, but not worth changing.

Well there is right much strategy involved- who to foul, when to foul, etc...
but there should be more of the refs rewarding 2 shots and the ball back for
flagrant or sure intentional fouls.

sure intentional fouls.

That seems like a very hard thing to judge, IMHO. Would probably lead to major controversy, expecially with the referee's credibility tarnished by the corrupt referee case of last year...

That seems like a very hard thing to judge, IMHO. Would probably lead to major controversy, expecially with the referee's credibility tarnished by the corrupt referee case of last year...

Very true, but for example in my daughter's high school games the end game
fouling gets rougher and rougher. If the defender is at least not making an
attempt at the ball it needs to be called intentional, and also if the foul is the
least bit rough.

There is nothing the refs can do about it. If there are no intentional fouls, then the winning team near the end of a close game will just dribble around and run out the clock which would be more boring than intentional fouls.

There is nothing the refs can do about it. If there are no intentional fouls, then the winning team near the end of a close game will just dribble around and run out the clock which would be more boring than intentional fouls.

Isn't that how football is? Anti-climactic as it may be, for the last 2:00 of a game, a quarterback can kneel the ball if the opposing team has no timeouts. I find that basketball games actually are longer at the end because of the fouling. It takes a lot of real time to line up at the free throw line and get the clock started. And then when the offensive player rolls the ball to half court, not starting the clock until someone touches it, that adds another 5-10 sec to the game, just because of a foul. I understand there is a lot of strategy involved at this point, who to foul, when to foul, etc. These fouls are intentional, and at any other part of the game an intentional foul gets you a flagrant foul from the ref.

Isn't that how football is? Anti-climactic as it may be, for the last 2:00 of a game, a quarterback can kneel the ball if the opposing team has no timeouts. I find that basketball games actually are longer at the end because of the fouling. It takes a lot of real time to line up at the free throw line and get the clock started. And then when the offensive player rolls the ball to half court, not starting the clock until someone touches it, that adds another 5-10 sec to the game, just because of a foul. I understand there is a lot of strategy involved at this point, who to foul, when to foul, etc. These fouls are intentional, and at any other part of the game an intentional foul gets you a flagrant foul from the ref.

Yes but you can't really let the other team get "free points" in football.

An excellent point.

The intentional fouling is a very strategic part of the game. Time stoppages in general (fouls and timeouts) and speeding up the clock\increasing the number of possessions are a major difference between NBA basketball and College, for example. If a team is up by several possessions in college with a couple minutes left, it is much harder to come back. The NBA can infinitely switch back and forth, until you have .3 seconds on the clock. That gives the games more variability and increases the number of strategic options in tight situations. The NBA game is never decided until the end.

It`s ultimately a good thing, because otherwise teams would intentionally hold the ball and do nothing and it would be much harder to come back. When college had 45 second shot clocks and with the lack of time stoppages it led to ridiculous situations.

When college had 45 second shot clocks and with the lack of time stoppages it led to ridiculous situations.

Don't you mean "Before college had a 45 second shot clock"? I remember the
pre shot-clock days, and the thrice-accursed 4 corners offense...

Top Bottom