NC CXXVI Hannibal

Hm, maybe this is the right place to ask. It is related to my game but the question is rather general, so I think it's not needed to put it in spoiler tags.

I built UN in this game (overall I tend to try and get all the electricity line wonders -> Broadway, Rock'n'Roll, Hollywood and then Eiffel Tower and UN), but I didn't manage to win the elections. Overall I believe I did have the largest population, but it seems that the majority of the AI didn't like me (they chose Ragnar I think), perhaps because I tried to trade with everyone and the penalty for trading with enemies is larger than the bonus for trade relations. Also it didn't seem to affect AP, as there were still AP resolutions coming out.

What is the good time and situation to build the UN? Is it worth it to just donate Mass Media to the AP owner if you are getting annoyed by it?

If you need a save, it is inside one of my earlier posts.

Hehe, that was unexpected :) Domination was my plan, but the game ended with Diplomatic (UN) victory in 1951 AD.
Spoiler :
Spoiler screenshot :
But I finished with a really bad score
Spoiler score :
Power graph:
Spoiler power graph :
In 1936 AD, I contemplated quitting after a Phyrric victory against Toku that wiped out almost all of my Artillery units. But the situation wasn't that bad. Toku's power graph didn't make a V-shaped bounceback and he was on defensive most of the time. I even had time to build Theatres, Colosseums and Jails to combat the war :mad:, and Airports. I experimented with Police State for a couple of turns, but it turned out to be counter-productive, because my cottage cities became useless in terms of building military. So I returned to Universal Suffrage.

Check out my late-game life expectancy :) Is it typical on Emperor and above? By the way, I didn't even build any Coal Plants.
Spoiler demographics screen :

@pomthom Thanks for convincing me not to give up :)

Attachments

• NC 126 Hannibal AD-1951.CivBeyondSwordSave
    500.4 KB · Views: 59
@pomthom Thanks for convincing me not to give up :)
I know too well the rage-quit symptom and I couldn't let you get away with that one! :lol:

Well done man :goodjob:

FYI, I won exactly like you.
Spoiler :
After dominating my continent I had Rags and Victoria to Friendly, capped Toku, and went UN ~1900 AD. The end was stressful because Wang was <20 turns away from a Culture victory! :eek: However I had prepared ~30 contingency Tanks/Arties in Transports just a couple of tiles from one of his legendary-cities-to-be, just to snipe it in case I wasn't fast enough to UN or the vote didn't go as planned. After I won, I still tried the contingency plan to see if it would have worked.

Oh it worked alright ;)

Still at 1120 AD having rethought things in response to advice:
Spoiler :
A revised dotmap for the western island. I think the floodplain city is the best to settle first; running an artist should expand onto the iron fairly quickly.

And indeed I'm now pretty sure my horse archers are obsolete except for racing across the countryside to raze the copper, iron, and ivory -- since Sury now has ballista elephants as well as spearmen. So I might build a macemen/trebuchet army (in part just to build up power, and likely to invade Sury; Engineering for trebs is just 7t away).

Since I can afford to wait a while on Liberalism, I might be able to get Engineering, gunpowder, and chemistry then lib steel, which should make invading somebody (slowly) pretty easy. But I don't think I can wait until then to build up my military since both my neighbours can declare at Pleased.

SNIP
Plans, on which I'd appreciate comment:
Spoiler :
I think I need to lib or tech Astronomy, and work on settling that empty western continent, with the Iron city first so I can build cuirassiers if I decide I need to invade my neighbours. Here's my first cut at a dotmap:

Any good alternatives I've missed?

SNIP

I have no answers to the questions in your spoiler, but have some questions based on it. Can the blue and red cities even be that close together? Even if they can, why not shift the red city one space east? You would lose one h from the city itself [I think the red is on a plains hill], could still share all the flood plain tiles, and get one more riverside grassland when you clear the jungle? What am I missing or doing wrong in the placement? Thanks for any anwers.

Emperor epic 1788.
Spoiler :

Domination victory. 187k.

Spent 1100-1700 at war with Sury and/or Jules while settling western islands, AIs got astronomy late so it was pretty easy. Cannon+mace>cannon+rifle>arty+rifle so an easy but slow grind.

Capped Rags pretty quick, meanwhile Toku capped Wang so had a tedious war vs Toku before Wang deserted him and they both capped the same turn.

Kept Glight TRs the whole game.

Save is turn before victory.

Spoiler :
Nice land,a little small for expansion but then war.GLH seems priority.

Attachments

• Civ4BeyondSword 2014-05-22 15-23-14-91.jpg
    Civ4BeyondSword 2014-05-22 15-23-14-91.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Civ4BeyondSword 2014-05-22 18-06-08-41.jpg
    Civ4BeyondSword 2014-05-22 18-06-08-41.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Civ4BeyondSword 2014-05-22 20-12-59-86.jpg
    Civ4BeyondSword 2014-05-22 20-12-59-86.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Civ4BeyondSword 2014-05-22 21-55-06-72.jpg
    Civ4BeyondSword 2014-05-22 21-55-06-72.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 67
Emperor / normal
Began by worker stealing from Sury. 1st declaration of war. Took peace. Declared and wiped him next. Two declarations of war = -2 with Ceasar. This would come back to haunt me. Never been a hannibal fan but wow with GLH and cothon and currency you can probably get unlimited cities and never go bankrupt. At nearly 20 at 1100 ad and could have had 10 more with any micro.

Also this map is gigantic.
Spoiler :

Like i said I managed to steal two workers before finally taking peace with sury. Then I redeclared with axes and killed him off.

Next stop was getting the econ going. Got GLH and Colossus. Proceeded to settler spam and try to speed my way to astronomy. I settled and gifted a city to Caesar to get him to pleased. I also bulbed philosophy to get the religion, share it, and try to get Caesar to friendly as I really wanted to tech trade with him.

Sadly I only got him to +9. The two wars on Sury gave me a -2 that I couldn't overcome haha. I guess I could have gifted another city but I didn't feel like it.

Current situation after I found all the other AI.
@1130ad
19 cities to manage :sad:

All AIs backwards

Even horrible cities are positive

so many settlers

random demo

Not even sure how or if I want to finish this. I could crush Rome and get +13 cities to make my total 50ish (I'm still settling the West continent). But who wants to manage that many cities?

Top Bottom