Need General and Admiral names for a mod I'm creating

Bolívar can't be a Brazilian Great General, he was from Gran Colômbia. Some more regional names should be useful, like Bento Gonçalves or Moreira César. As Brazil also had a military dictatorship, president names like Costa e Silva and Emílio Médici may also be Great Generals.
Before I updated the list this morning I explained my reasoning for a few of the placements. Bolivar and Santander were placed with Brazil because I thought it important to have them represented in the game, and since there's no Columbia, I felt they were a better fit to Brazil than anywhere else.

Similar to why Sitting Bull and Geronimo were assigned to Shoshone, though they really don't 'correctly' fit the Shoshone.

Looks really cool, I really like the idea.

I often had a nervous laugh playing as the Aztecs andgetting the message that Great General Hernan Cortes has appeared near my capital.

For Denmark, you could include famous Vikings, like Leif Erikson, Erik the Red, Ragnar Lothbrok, Harald Hardrada, etc since that's the flavor of their Civ.

I need to recheck my English history notes; there were a lot of notable Vikings that had something to do with England in that time period.

For France add Jean Lannes, one of Napoleon's best marshalls. Then Michel Ney, one of my favorites even though he was not the best military commander. Although, his rearguard action during the retreat from Russia was second to none. Also add Louis Friant and Louis Desaix.

For French Admirals add Gaspard de Coligny, Florent de Varennes the first admiral of France. You could add Louis Alexandre, Count of Toulouse. He commanded the French fleet at the indecisive Battle of Malaga. This was the largest naval engagement during the War of the Spanish Sucession.

What about Shoshone admirals? How about He who swims with fishes? Maybe Big Canoe, IDK that will be interesting.

The Shoshone, Inca, Maya, Zulu, and Aztecs are all going to be a little difficult to find admiral names for.

I used an assortment of Viking names for G-Gen for Sweden, though more properly maybe those names would fit with a 'Norwegian' civ. Denmark would seem to go with Viking-sounding names as well.

I'm not going to sweat ball-bearings if I can't find good military leader names for all the civs for Great General and Great Admiral. I'll publish when I get a good civ-linked group of names put together that covers most of the civs, and then worry about filling in the gaps as I have opportunity.

For Japan, using warlords from the Sengoku era like Shingen Takeda, Kenshin Uesugi, etc. is an obvious choice (Oda himself could be a Great General if he weren't already Japan's leader), but you could use generals from more modern times like Tadamichi Kuribayashi and Tomoyuki Yamahorsehockya. Or Maresuke Nogi from the Russo-Japanese War, although some say his "greatness" is debatable.

For admirals, Isoroku Yamamoto, Chuichi Nagumo, Jisaburo Ozawa, and Heihachiro Togo.

(Oda himself could be a Great General if he weren't already Japan's leader), but you could use generals from more modern times like Tadamichi Kuribayashi and Tomoyuki Yamahorsehockya. Or Maresuke Nogi from the Russo-Japanese War, although some say his "greatness" is debatable.
I added to my list all the names you suggested that I didn't already have. And yeah, I've been avoiding using the Civ's leader as a general or admiral except in one or two specific instances where I've been not having a lot of luck getting names. Maresuke Nogi I added as a maybe if I can't find enough other names that seem more 'great'.
For admirals, Isoroku Yamamoto, Chuichi Nagumo, Jisaburo Ozawa, and Heihachiro Togo.
I had all but Ozawa in my list, so I added him.

Last couple of days I've been primarily working on adding the Great General names on my list into the mod. Takes a while though because for my lua function to work properly I have to add both the name to the <Unit_UniqueNames> table and add the appropriate entry in the <Language_en_US> table for the in-game name that will be displayed. Plus also a lot of google checking to be sure the name I have wouldn't be better suited as a Great Admiral. When you start looking at civs such as Carthage or Rome and somewhat for Greece, it often can go either way.

For the nations that don't have any historical admirals, I wonder if it's possible to combine the lists. That is, whenever the computer needs to draw a name for either a General or an Admiral, it draws from a single, shared list. Alternately, the two lists could have the same names, but in reverse order. A duplicate could still happen, but the odds of it would be reduced. After all, how many Generals or Admirals generally spawn in a game? I've rarely seen more than 3-4 Generals, or more than a couple of Admirals.

EDIT: That's assuming Great Person names are ordered, as city names are, and not drawn randomly.

For the nations that don't have any historical admirals, I wonder if it's possible to combine the lists. That is, whenever the computer needs to draw a name for either a General or an Admiral, it draws from a single, shared list. Alternately, the two lists could have the same names, but in reverse order. A duplicate could still happen, but the odds of it would be reduced. After all, how many Generals or Admirals generally spawn in a game? I've rarely seen more than 3-4 Generals, or more than a couple of Admirals.

EDIT: That's assuming Great Person names are ordered, as city names are, and not drawn randomly.
Basically what I do is look to see which civs are active within a game, then develope a shared list from those that are inactive for that game. Any civ that doesn't have Generals or Admirals assigned to it (such as a custom modded civ) will draw by default from the shared lists. Any civ that runs out of names will start to use the shared list(s). The lua I've written randomly selects a name from the appropriate list, and then that name is eliminated from the list for future selection. I was hoping to get at least 5 names for every civ for both Generals and Admirals. Extras are good too because that means a player will be far less likely to always see the same old tired list of Generals and Admirals if they re-play as the same civ fairly often.

[edit] Anyway, that's the way it will all happen once I get my mod finished off and a player uses it. Without my mod running the selection method the game uses is a random selection of the names that Firaxis provided. But there really aren't all that many names for either Generals or Admirals, so I often find I seem to get the same ones all the time, even though there's no tag as supplied by Firaxis for which civ a name ought to be used with.

he was Thomas J. 'Stonewall' Jackson. The general killed in the west i thought might be James B. McPherson but he was killed under Sherman at Atlanta. Phil Kearney died at second bull run or in the retreat after so it wasn't him.

It was McPherson I was thinking of, I think. For some reason I was thinking he was a lot younger than that, and had it my mind that he died earlier in the war. Although if you look at the ages of many of the US civil war generals (both the Union and CSA generals), they were pretty darn young in terms of today's standards.

I did double-check myself earlier that it was indeed Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. Though why when I was typing that earlier message I still don't know why I kept thinking I needed to double-check that his given name was not James. Lately I want to keep sticking 'James' in front of just about every US civil war general the given name of whom I can't remember off the top of my head. Other than the obvious ones, like AP Hill or DH Hill.

need to google sima yi and his family
Sima Yi and two of his sons: Sima Shi and Sima Zhao. Also related to them is Deng Ai. All generals, although I wouldn't call Sima Yi a "general", but then Firaxis put Zhuge Liang as one, so I guess he'll fit.

Chinese Great Admirals will be a pain to look for. Zheng He aside, you can add Gan Ning - former pirate, later commander in the Wu Kingdom, which had the strongest navy out of the Three Kingdoms. Also Zhou Yu and Huang Gai - quite a stretch, but Chinese Wiki lists them as admirals.

A few generals..
Gaston the musketman
Pedro de Alvarado
Khon Perez
Frank 'Grimes' Grimey

Moderator Action: Moved to Creation & Customization

Not sure why the sudden recent re-interest in this thread, but the mod has been released for some time now. Moderators could probably just close the thread at this point.

Top Bottom