Need help with production

steeemer

Chieftain
I am fairly new to the Civilization experience. I am on xbox 360.

I think when I first start a game I should be put all my focus onto production. Produce warriors and eventually a settler so I can explore the immediate area, get free gold, meet the other civs, and find a spot for my second city. Is this generally the correct approach in the early going?

Secondly, I have been using the "canned" production settings. I just pick food, or science, or balanced, etc. Is there a better way to go about this? I feel like I should be able to do this in a more specific fashion.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you select "custom" you can specify precisely which tiles you'll work. Every serious player I know switches to 2 Forest tiles immediately to crank out the few few warriors as fast as possible. The rewards for killing Barbarian villages far outweigh the cost of delaying research and growth, so it's just a matter of judging how many warriors is optimal for clearing as many villages as possible before the AI can get to them.

- Gus

Typically I start by using "custom" mode and put my city to 4 production and crank out 3 warriors to explore and eventually create an army of warriors. After I have produced my 3rd warrior I typically put my city on food production as much as possible until it has grown at least one pop. After that I start researching as much as possible without losing production and growth. The growth is important to get more tiles to work fast, AND if needed to build settlers and not get down to 1 pop.

Good luck.

I do the same mainly as Hertsh in the beginning, if playing on Single Player. I pop out a warrior army, run around and find barb villages. After that I put both tiles on food, then only on food and research.

For Multiplayer though, I am more then likely going to pop out 9 warriors before I even dare switching to food or science. Capturing barb villages and cutting off expansions is much more important, then researching Alphabet first.

I do the same mainly as Hertsh in the beginning, if playing on Single Player. I pop out a warrior army, run around and find barb villages. After that I put both tiles on food, then only on food and research.

For Multiplayer though, I am more then likely going to pop out 9 warriors before I even dare switching to food or science. Capturing barb villages and cutting off expansions is much more important, then researching Alphabet first.

9 warriors at start of MP?! Wow that is alot. I'll try that.

Why always Alphabet first? I do very often go for Horseback riding or pottery early on, depeding on my enemies or the location of my city.

I don't know who you play with, but the cases are 2:

You haven't played enough
You are really lucky

Becuase, by the time you normally have 9 warriors, the other one has 2 horsemen armies, and don't know what you want to do with these warriors with no upgrade, unless you use zulu or arabs, then I could understand maybe. However, alphabet is one of the worst technologies at the start, and let me say if you start rushing libraries, you haven't understood the game mechanics.

I was using Alphabet as an example, as I usually go for Horseback Riding. MorteEterna, I really want to play you, to see how good you think you are. Are you saying that researching Horseback Riding first is better then cutting off your enemies expansion, and getting more gold?

I was using Alphabet as an example, as I usually go for Horseback Riding. MorteEterna, I really want to play you, to see how good you think you are. Are you saying that researching Horseback Riding first is better then cutting off your enemies expansion, and getting more gold?

No, I think that winning the game is better than going to lose or a game long hours. And, I'm as arrogant as how you are sure about what you say. And, nobody know more than me about the game. Maybe the only one is Mr Game Theory, but I could beat him with my strategies. I will play you however if you want to add me, hoping you won't play that cheap civ called zulu, everyone can play them. If you have time I would like to play more than one head to head, that isn't enough.

As I said in the other thread, I'll play you as the Indians or the Mongolians, as you think they can't win.

Also, Mr Game Theory, you serious? You're saying the person who first started exploiting the Mega City is the person with the most knowledge? It's good you classify yourself with someone who *cheats*.

As I said in the other thread, I'll play you as the Indians or the Mongolians, as you think they can't win.

Also, Mr Game Theory, you serious? You're saying the person who first started exploiting the Mega City is the person with the most knowledge? It's good you classify yourself with someone who *cheats*.

It wasn't a cheat, and he was one of the best of civ4, I can't classify with others randomly. The mega city strategy wasn't really an exploit, but the developers tought it was too easy to do maybe.

MorteEterna, the strategy you are giving are almost always for a rush. I play as american (which you never mentionned as one of the good civ to play with) and i always rush a library in one of my two first city. I almost always research alphabet first except in certain situation as when i play against zulu or arab player or qhen i have a grat builder or great scientist at the beginning.
I know that all player on PS3 network are not good player as you say but still i'm first in head to head with this strategy and i played the indian for a while at the beginning.
If you don't want to play early war game (which I don't like) we can decide not too and not be stupid as you seem to think in all the forum post that you are giving.

MorteEterna, the strategy you are giving are almost always for a rush. I play as american (which you never mentionned as one of the good civ to play with) and i always rush a library in one of my two first city. I almost always research alphabet first except in certain situation as when i play against zulu or arab player or qhen i have a grat builder or great scientist at the beginning.
I know that all player on PS3 network are not good player as you say but still i'm first in head to head with this strategy and i played the indian for a while at the beginning.
If you don't want to play early war game (which I don't like) we can decide not too and not be stupid as you seem to think in all the forum post that you are giving.

What do you mean by the last sentence? Where you insulting me maybe? I rush when needed and when I want, and you can rush with many good civs if you want, and that's why they made this game, to make this faster then civ4. However, I give strategies based on rushing normally or taking advantages (because, really, if you don't want to take advantages, you haven't understood how this game works to win a game, at least). And I don't think you should talk so much about being first in head to head in PS3 while a lot of players can't play. I play on x360 but I know many friends that told me you can't play there maybe..

Top Bottom