Need help with RFC

mscheaf

Chieftain
No matter who I am or what I do my expansion is always 1 star. I have read all the wiki info i can find, but it is not helping. I can sit still and it drops. I can settler spam and it drops. I can conquor and it drops.

So now I am trying England, because I was told you are supposed to expand with that civ, and so in the 1400's I started settling america, south america, south africa, scandanavia. It started dropping really bad. So I stopped and even started giving some cities up to other countries when they asked. It continued to drop. I stopped giving them up and continued to not expand. It still drops. So I started expanding again. Still dropping. So here we are in 1600 and my expansion is 1 star again.

Since there is absolutely no in game guidance as to what I am supposed to to or why I have 1 star how am I supposed to figure it out? I like strategy not guessing games.

You'd better post in in the RFC subforum. Personally, I do think that stability system should be more soft and less mysterious.

Did you adopt the Resettlement civic, btw?

You'd better post in in the RFC subforum. Personally, I do think that stability system should be more soft and less mysterious.

Did you adopt the Resettlement civic, btw?

yes that is what i have. I have been trying different things. I start it up and go 20 turns. First time I just expanded the whole time with settlers. Expansion stays at one star with a down arrow. made me unstable.

2cd time i just sat there and didn't expand at all. Same result.

3rd time I went through and captured cities. Same result.

I thought it was supposed to be historically accurate, and if I recall, england expanded all over the globe and contolled like 1/6th of the worlds land at it's height. So what gives?

No matter who I am or what I do my expansion is always 1 star. I have read all the wiki info i can find, but it is not helping. I can sit still and it drops. I can settler spam and it drops. I can conquor and it drops.

I like to play RFC, but expansion can be confusing. Don't settler spam in RFC! In RFC you have to expand gradually and consistently, but slowly. The fast expansion and moving into other Civs core area is probably what is causing your expansion problem. RFC doesn't play like regular CIV, where fast expansion is the best way.

I've recently started playing RFC, also. I realize it's trial and error to win, many times. I'm about to start my 3rd Egypt effort. I cannot figure out one thing, though. The winning conditions state things to be done by a year or turn. Like 500 culture by 700 BC(turn 86). But, the mod changes the date keeper/turn keeper, and all it says is Stone Age. I can't find the date or turn anywhere. Unless I'm missing it. Kind of makes it hard to know whether you are winning, have won, or losing or lost, if you have no clue where you are in the game.

Edit: And, furthermore, some of these civs winning requirements seem impossible. I've done Egypt 4 or more times, and I'm about to give up. It's pretty hard when civs come along later and are given techs you don't even have yet. My game was going perfectly. I only had the Great Library yet to build, then to worry about getting to 5000 culture in my capital. I even just started researching Literature, to get at the Great Library. And, suddenly Greece builds it. Probably 20 turns before I could. Not sure how to combat that, but obviously, it would take starting again from scratch, and doing things way different. Not sure how. Pretty frustrating.

Had the same thing with the Dutch. I did great, except the one requirement, to acquire so many Spice resources. That part was pretty near impossible, I thought.

The reason that you don't see the exact turn/year is because you haven't researched calendar yet. in RFC you can see the turn/year when you have researched calendar, before that you'll just see stone age or medieval age

Egypt is IMO not that hard to complete, just build a worker and cottage the hell out of your flood plains. make sure you get the wonders and beeline for music to get a great artist to get the amount of culture you need.

Does anyone know how long the new civs keep regenerating for if you don't give them the cities they want when they start?

It is, but there are so many factors that it doesn't always match up. Expanding into the core area of another civ is never good, even if it's in your historical area. You can find the stability maps on the wiki.

The annoying thing about the stability maps is that if you follow them, sometimes the UHV is impossible. Take Germany for example, you need to control Russia, France, England, Italy and Spain (I think, not sure about the last two). If you follow the stability map, you'd never expand into these areas, and will loose. The stability calculations need to be fixed to recognize the UHVs.

Resettlement also seems to be flawed. You should recieve +2 stability points for each city more than 15 squares from your capitol, which to me implies if you completely settle the Americas from either Europe or Asia, you'd have a very stable empire. However it seems to me that after the 8th city all I get is colapse. It appears that the "out of historical area" overides the Resettlement bonuses, thus rendering Resettlement totally inefective.

If you want an easy RFC win, Netherlands and Japan are pretty good. I find Mongolia the toughest, due to its TINY Stable area, and the fact that China is completely 'core'. Babylon is just silly because it's 100% chance. You can simply cruise to victory in 5 minutes, or lose within 20 turns because of Writing.

The annoying thing about the stability maps is that if you follow them, sometimes the UHV is impossible. Take Germany for example, you need to control Russia, France, England, Italy and Spain (I think, not sure about the last two). If you follow the stability map, you'd never expand into these areas, and will loose. The stability calculations need to be fixed to recognize the UHVs.

Resettlement also seems to be flawed. You should recieve +2 stability points for each city more than 15 squares from your capitol, which to me implies if you completely settle the Americas from either Europe or Asia, you'd have a very stable empire. However it seems to me that after the 8th city all I get is colapse. It appears that the "out of historical area" overides the Resettlement bonuses, thus rendering Resettlement totally inefective.

The stability maps only show where expansion is safest - they're quite different from the UHV. You sometimes have to go into areas that aren't as stable - carefully. The trick with Germany is to expand into those areas and not collapse. You have to raze some cities and not expand anywhere else except core areas. (btw Germany does not require Spain - it does require Scandinavia, which will be a lot of razing).

#2. Resettlement isn't flawed. It makes it less painful to settle more than 15 squares from the capital. Problem is, as your number of cities increase in poor stability areas the problems of more than 10 cities and settling outside your areas override the benefit. I think 8th city may be an exaggeration. Also, if you're going to go for a large number of cities, you have to check ALL your civics. NO Representation or Bureaucracy, for example.

Top Bottom