Need to catch up

DragonKnight

Warlord
Been a while since I played civ 5. Sounds like they have BNW and other DLC's out there. Plus tons of mods.

What is the most common way people are playing these days? vanilla? BNW?...
And any links to help me catch up on what is in those would be great.

As for mods... I found what seem to be the popular ones. There is one thing I don't see.
I would like some onscreen window or indicator that shows when I can do a research agreement with a civ (we both have the money... tech...) As well as some kind of trade screen that doesn't just show me when they have 2 of something that I might be able to trade for, but also shows when they don't have something I have excess of. I hate having to click each civ, and go to the trade screen to find out if they want what I have extra of. And I am tried of having to check every turn if civs have enough money for a research agreement...

Thanks...

DK

On the forums, the most popular way is to play BNW but also have G&K for access to those civs along with the DLCs that provide civs such as Babylon. Most people keep the race civ DLC turned on even when playing other civs to have the opportunity to play against them.

From what I have seen most players that are still actively playing Civ 5 have Gods & Kings and Brave New World.

As to more detailed Trade Information have you clicked Additional Information (Top Right of UI) and then Diplomacy Overview then clicked Your Relationships? This displays a quite detailed summary of potential Trade.

Yeah, I have seen the relationships window. But that is part of the issue. I have to do like 3 clicks and scroll every turn just to check if any new civ can do a research agreement. It's tedious. And as far as resources, it doesn't tell me if the civ wants anything I got... so I still have to click on each of them, and go to the trade screen to find out if they want something I can give up...
Seems a lot of unneeded effort, so I would think someone would have made a mod for it. Or maybe people do something different?

DK

For myself, I Trade Luxuries and then wait for the game to prompt me that any given Trade Deal is complete. Then I do a Diplomacy Pass through all the AI's to find the best deal available for my current needs.

For myself, I Trade Luxuries and then wait for the game to prompt me that any given Trade Deal is complete. Then I do a Diplomacy Pass through all the AI's to find the best deal available for my current needs.

Yeah, that is what I do now. Kinda annoying. But worse is the research agreements, one runs out, AI doesn't have the money... got check every turn to see if they have it... and that is a lot of clicks.

I switch back and forth between G&K and BNW, by turning BNW on or off in the menus. I do this because sometimes I want to play warmonger without worrying about the World Congress or plundered trade routes. I don't think there is any reason to play vanilla anymore except for the vanilla-based scenarios (Paradise Found, 1066, Samurai Invasion of Korea, etc).

I have always thought that the diplomacy screens for Civ V were a clumsy design. There is information available in the Diplomacy pull-down menu which appears on the right side of the screen, but then there is different information available in the "Overview" and its 3 separate panels. I think more should have been available in a unified view.

If they don't have the money for research agreements give it to them!

There are other threads on mods so check them out, but two I like to use are:

Infoaddict (very handy for insta checking international relations when asked for Declarations of Friendship, as well as a other useful info), and

Enhanced User Interface, which gives lots of extra tooltips and info all over the place. Oh, and also tells you how much cash the civ needs to make a research agreement.

Top Bottom