Need to upgrade, but I'm SO out of it...

Martacus

World's Greatest Warrior
Well, my recent purchase of Pirates! has brought me to a decision that I have been dreading for some time: that I will have to upgrade my computer. :eek:

My current rig:

AMD Athlon 1800 (1.5GHz)
Abit K7 something motherboard
Creative Soundblaster Live
ATI Radeon 9000
256 MB DDR 2100 RAM
2 Seagate 40MB Hard drives (I really don't use a lot of space); RAID 1 array
Zip 250 drive
3.5" floppy drive
CD-ROM drive
CD-RW drive

Plus a 19" monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, scanner, printer--basic peripherals. Running Windows 98SE, this rig has served me well and almost flawlessly from the day I put it together (the few minor problems I have encountered were all easily fixed), for all tasks I have demanded of it. And no, there is no modem or network card, as I don't have any access or need thereof at home.

But Pirates!, and doubtless Civ 4 when it is released, seems to be giving me problems which I think is likely beyond the help of a simple patch or driver download. It plays the intro movie just fine, but as soon as that ends and the game begins proper, it locks up my computer. I get sound, but no video, controls or anything; my keyboard and mouse soon start clicking over the PC speaker and I have to do a hard reset. My suspicion is that my video card does not support DirectX 9.0c; I could be wrong, though.

But in ny event, this situation has brought to mind the need for me to upgrade or even replace my current system. The problem is, I haven't kept up with developments in hardware since I finsihed my computer. My Internet experience is pretty well limited to message boards and E-mail; all stuff I can do from a library. I don't really know about IEEE 1394, or even if I'd use it if I did know, or about a myriad of other new terms which confuse and frighten this poor caveman. I wish to keep modems/networking out of my system if possible; keep it simple in other words. I just want to be able to play my games and do my work.

So anyways, I must be going, but I would like to ask what sort of stuff to look for. I plan on keeping my monitor, speakers, case, and the like, but I would like to know what's out there in terms of necessary hardware nowadays, and how much I can expect to pay for it. And whether I should upgrade to XP or wait for whatever Macrosoft has waiting in the pipeline to replace it(though I can get XP cheaply enough, being a student at a major university)--most of my games are older and I know that XP has some issues with a lot of older games.

your computer is not that bad; your card does support directx 9.0C but not in hardware. i.e. thereshouldn't be problems running directx 9.0 games.

Best upgrade for you would be switching from troublesome Windows 98SE to either windows 2000 or XP, and adding more RAM.

Top Bottom