Negative Yields

Kleinzach

Chieftain
I've been making a beyond earth mod to add in new loadout options, but I've run into a bottleneck: I cant seem to add negative yields. This doesn't seem to work for colonists nor buildings. Has anyone been able to figure this out or know where the lua scripts are for handling loadout options?

We had similar problems with Civ5, and had to come up with hacky solutions or mod the DLL (which isn't available yet for BE). The solution is going to depend on which yield you're trying to change.

Here's an example to check the loadout in Lua (in this case, a colonist) once after the capital is founded, and give the capital a hidden building to get the effect the OP wanted.

Being able to add a building does help a lot, but I still don't think I can do a -1 health +3 food colonist or something like that. Thanks for the response!

You can do negative food, but health is one of those fake yields.

EDIT: There may be a Lua function that I'm not aware of, but until we figure that out, I can think of one hacky method that involves a hidden building and (choose one of) a feature/resource/terrain. You can only have one of each per tile, so that might involve removing an existing feature/resource/terrain in favor of the new one. If you wanted to go crazy, you could have all 3 possibilities, and go for the least game-changing option.

I thought I'd tested food, but maybe just as a colonist bonus. So you mean you can create something on the terrain itself which gives negative yields? If thats a case are you able to change terrain after map creation, because that could also be neat for terraforming mods.

I don't know to what degree this might have changed with BE (I'd assume not at all), but only the terrains that a worker can change will actually change appearance-wise without you needing to reload a saved game. So terraforming was extremely limited. There are some threads in the Civ5 section that go more into detail, and I would love to hear that it's a different story with BE...

Anyway, the appearance doesn't matter for the yield change (and I assume it'd be the plot under the city anyway).

How do I make Generators have -1 food for my sponsor's trait? To balance out +2 science.

<Trait_ImprovementYieldChanges>
<Row>
<TraitType>TRAIT_CANADA_SCIENCE</TraitType>
<ImprovementType>IMPROVEMENT_GENERATOR</ImprovementType>
<YieldType>YIELD_SCIENCE</YieldType>
<Yield>2</Yield>
</Row>
</Trait_ImprovementYieldChanges>
<Trait_ImprovementYieldChanges>
<Row>
<TraitType>TRAIT_CANADA_SCIENCE</TraitType>
<ImprovementType>IMPROVEMENT_GENERATOR</ImprovementType>