New academy

ArmChairAttila

Chieftain
So do you think it will be good to settle a manufacturing plant on iron post patch? What about the science academy on sugar? Was wondering if it would be better to settle these improvements over a mine, farm, or plantation. Or should we just settle in a location that has no rare resource.

Was thinking about this since the new academy will connect any resource to your empire.

So do you think it will be good to settle a manufacturing plant on iron post patch? What about the science academy on sugar? Was wondering if it would be better to settle these improvements over a mine, farm, or plantation. Or should we just settle in a location that has no rare resource.

Was thinking about this since the new academy will connect any resource to your empire.

patch notes say its only strategics that get connected

you want to settle on a tile that you'd be working anyway that gets the least benefit from its regular improvement - pre patch this is sheep,
post patch any calendar (plantation) resource will be optimal if they're connected.
you lose out on 1 gold immediately and 1 food at fertilizer, both of which are insignificant.

It's almost impossible to say until we see what "connects" functionally means. Does that mean that it hooks up only the tile it's planted on? All tiles in the radius? Does the resource count for building purposes (eg: Circus, Stable)? Do you get the bonus :c5food:/:c5production:/:c5gold: for improving the tile?

Assuming that only the tile is connected, that you get credit for building purposes and that the tile counts as "improved", you'll put it on the best :c5production: tile that you haven't already improved by that point.

It's almost impossible to say until we see what "connects" functionally means. Does that mean that it hooks up only the tile it's planted on? All tiles in the radius? Does the resource count for building purposes (eg: Circus, Stable)? Do you get the bonus :c5food:/:c5production:/:c5gold: for improving the tile?

Perhaps a bit far-flung, but we'll see.

When assuming it will just make sure you get the strategic resource, I don't think that makes it better than the regular improvement.

For example:
When we replace a mine with a manufactury, we replace a couple of hammers with a few more hammers. If we put the manufactury on a grassland hex instead, we replace food with all the hammers the manufactury gives.

I think the reason why they changed the way these improvements worked is because of people not wanting to put them down in fear of having to dismantle it later because it happens to be on your only hex with uranium. Now you don't have to fear for that anymore.

I think the answer is usually no.

After all, you can build a GP improvement anyway. But improvements on resources usually give extra yields, that they only get there.

For example:
When we replace a mine with a manufactury, we replace a couple of hammers with a few more hammers. If we put the manufactury on a grassland hex instead, we replace food with all the hammers the manufactury gives.

We've had this discussion a few times in this forum. If available, Sheep is by far the best option. If not, you want to be working the Mine and not the Grassland early on, so you put it on a Hill. Grassland is a terrible tile in the early game. River Grassland can (and eventually will) be worthwhile after Civil Service, but it takes a while.

If you get the extra :c5production: for improving the tile, Horses and Iron start looking very attractive. In particular, Iron would be great because you then don't have to settle right on it to hook it up immediately. It may even be worthwhile in some situations to do that even if you're giving up a point of :c5production:, in order to place your city in a superior spot with extra luxuries/Hills.

I put the academy within three of the city that can give the best science multiplier. Usually this is the capital or a city that will be able to build an observatory. Additionally, if possible I like to have it in range (within 3) of two cities so that if one city is concentrating on high priority (non-science) production the other city can still use the academy for science production.

All strategic resources require a tech to discover. I think this change was just to make sure you don't get screwed if you settle a GP improvement on a tile that later turns out to have a strategic resource. I don't think it was intended to make GP improvements a substitute for the regular improvement.

Does anyone know if the GP improvement grants the regular mine/pasture/well bonuses in *addition to* the GP improvement bonus?

Top Bottom