New City spot?

Kev

Hired Goon
Embroiled in war, it's been difficult to think about colonization. Add to that a relative lack of preferred places and that we're adding to the empire by bribery and military force.

However, I've been looking at Viroconium island and thinking we maybe could use another city there. There's some open space south of Viroconium where we could build. It could take one of the defenders from Spice Haven or Viroconium just for the beginning, and a new engineering corps could easily be trained there.

The screenshots that Mr. Spice did in the recent turn thread (great job, Spice!) will give you an idea of what I'm considering.

Another city there could be nice when we begin a troop buildup.

What does everyone think?

My favourite spot is the swamp on the coast, so that we can get the fish special, as this will take away from the fact that we've built on swamp. The swamp is also automatically cleared by founding a city on it. It will be vulnerable to Zulu warships I admit, but it will have better production because it can use the swamps and forested river tiles while relying on the fish and later the shield grassland for food. :D Obviously this is just my recommendation and you can choose whichever suits you. I could have made this a poll, but I thought that since we are so few then we can all just have our say here. :goodjob:

:( I was supposed to have posted a screenshot of the area, stolen from Mr Spice's with letters for each sensible option but I'm afraid that we've only got paint and fpxpress at work and I can't save the little image as a .gif - only an entire webpage in white with a little image in the top corner. Rats! :mad:

I'll see if I can just cut and paste the URL.

Anyway, I think that if we settle on the swamp, it does NOT automatically get removed. I know it works that way in Civ3, but with Civ2 it will adversely affect the city spot. We could always clear it first - it does look like a nice spot.

If not, the spot to the right of it may be usable.

Let's see if the URL thing works.

Screen shot:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/spicescreenshot9.jpg

Just to be clear, we're looking at the southernmost of the two coastal swamp squares, correct? Anyway that would be my preference to take advantage of the fish and avoid overlap with Viroconium. The square immediately right is a lake and you can't build there. The square NE would get the fish, but also overlap Viroconium. I think it would be worth our Engineer's time to clear the swamp and build there. Viroconium is not on the coast and is protected from the Roman front, so could probably spare a defender for a bit for the new city. We could also start a defender in one of those cities now so it would be ready when the new city is ready. It could be re-homed in it's new city, of course.

Barring some major objections from any of the others, I will start on this project forthwith. I like the idea of getting a few defenders ready as well - good idea.

My spot that I had suggested was to the southwest of the lake tile. It would have two overlapping tiles with Spice Haven and not get the fish, but we could build it right away. However, I like the swamp area the best and I'll be happy to send in the engineers for clearing purposes.

Could this be the future site of Renmark????? :)

I think the swamp is the best choice (I don´t like the idea of another city overlaping Spice Haven... :D). The engineer will be vulnerable to naval attacks, so I suggest bringing along a defender for protection. Being only size four, Spice Haven could easily contribute one without unhappiness thanks to Bach´s Cathedral!

Originally posted by Mr Spice
I think the swamp is the best choice (I don´t like the idea of another city overlaping Spice Haven... :D). The engineer will be vulnerable to naval attacks, so I suggest bringing along a defender for protection. Being only size four, Spice Haven could easily contribute one without unhappiness thanks to Bach´s Cathedral!
Uh...Spice....ummm...we're in a democracy. We're not dependent on military units to control unhappiness. But thanks for the kind offer ;) I still would prefer taking one from Viroconium as it is less likely to face attack.

Yes, that is what I meant. :)

Ok, for a start which swamp square are we talking about? I suggest the bottom one because there will be less overlap, and it'll be further away from Roman threat if we decide not to make a couple of defenders in advance...I'm done ranting :)

Here is a new screenshot, to avoid any misunderstandings about what tile we are talking about. I marked the tile I think is the one being discussed. It is a very good spot, with no overlap on any other of our cites, plenty of food and the possibility to plant forests on two or three of the jungles with river in order to boost production without any loss of trade. This city has all chances to become one of the rare gems that has both good production and excellent trade. A truly worthy site for Renmark indeed. :)

Top Bottom