new computer

Carazycool

Warlord
I'm looking into buying a new computer from MAINGEAR. how do you think the following specs will handle CiV?

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 2720QM 2.2GHz/3.3GHz Turbo 6MB L3 Cache GT2

Memory: 8GB Patriot DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM (Dual Channel)

Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT 555M 2GB with Optimus Technology

i dont know much about hardware, but that is the system I am leaning toward.

What you want to hear:
Yes it will run the game perfectly fine at highest settings.

What you don't want to hear:
Spoiler :

It will be loud and the Laptop will suffer by being stressed so much for so long and die sooner than it should (especially since CiV isn't a game you play for only 1-2 hours but up to half a day without any real break^^). But I guess it's pointless to tell people that laptops are not made to play games.

Standard hint: Why do you people think the heatsinks in a gaming rig alone are usually similar in size to your whole damn multimedia laptop?

Ah. Well thanks for both the good news and the disconcerting news. I've always thought it would be great to have a laptop that can play civ. (just imagine how fast those bus rides/plane rides will seem!?)

Any tips on how to avoid damage to the computer from overstressing it? I suppose playing shorter periods of time would be a start. We'll see if that is possible or if the draw of CiV will override my willpower to give the computer a break :^)

Are there any ways to keep the computer cool? I would guess making sure that there is good airflow through the fan. Anything else?

Not much you can do for a laptop apart from putting it on a table rather than your legs.

For CiV specifically you might want to reduce the shader and shadow qualities by a bit and not use Anti-Aliasing. You can pretty much reduce them without noticing a difference - except that the fan will be so much less noisy (which correlates directly with the stress). You can also experiment with the leader scene settings (they're very demanding; however I don't think you can lower those to much without it becoming poor looking).

Top Bottom