New ideas on spies and conquest/revolt

mpescatori

Chieftain
Hello all,

still playing CIV2 30 years later (almost) and I've been thinking...

Wouldnt it be nice if:
1. When I find a mercenary or corrupt an enemy unit who control a technology I do not yet have, I automatically acquire said technology (typical in the first half of the game);
2. When I find a corrupt an enemy unit, I automatically acquire the portion of enemy map territory from said unit to mother city; (or at least the 5x5 square territory of that city)
3. When I conquer or corrupt an enemy city, I automatically acquire the entire map of said enemy nation...

What would I need to tweak in order to achieve any of these gains?

Thanks

Hello all, I still have to understand how it is that, everyonce in a while, the game starts with two settlers instead on just one.
I mostly play in KING mode.

Is there a tweak somewhere so I can always start with TWO settlers... or three or four...

It would give the player an advantage over the always cheating AI...
Hello all,

still playing CIV2 30 years later (almost) and I've been thinking...

Wouldnt it be nice if:
1. When I find a mercenary or corrupt an enemy unit who control a technology I do not yet have, I automatically acquire said technology (typical in the first half of the game);
2. When I find a corrupt an enemy unit, I automatically acquire the portion of enemy map territory from said unit to mother city; (or at least the 5x5 square territory of that city)
3. When I conquer or corrupt an enemy city, I automatically acquire the entire map of said enemy nation...

What would I need to tweak in order to achieve any of these gains?
Most of these were pretty easy to do with Lua. Number 2 was impractical, since Lua doesn't tell you the previous home city of a bribed unit, so I didn't implement it. I implemented number 3 so that you only get the map if both tribes have map making.

You're playing Test of Time with TOTPP, correct? If not, you'll have to get it.

Instructions: Duplicate the "Original" folder in your Test of Time directory. (This way, you can easily the the true game back).

Next, copy all the files in the .zip folder into the Original folder (This will be 6 folders and 7 other files). I expect you will be notified that events.txt and rules.txt are replaced. If events.txt isn't replaced, then the different capitalization means they are both still in the folder. Delete the version of the file that isn't empty.

You should be good to go from here. If you get any console error messages (or other strange behaviour), let me know. I only tested this briefly.

If you want to disable features, find mpescatori.lua, open the file, and change the relevant of these lines:
Code:
local enableTwoSettlerStart = true -- change to false to disable
local enableTwoSettlerStartForAI = true -- change to false to disable

local enableTechFromMilitaryUnit = true -- change to false to disable
local enableMapFromCityConquest = true  -- change to false to disable
local mapFromCityConquestChance = 1 -- Set to a number between 0 and 1, e.g. 0.33 means 33% chance
You may need a special program called a text editor to open the file. notepad++ will work.

Attachments

• mpescatori-orig-patch.zip
    1 MB · Views: 9
Hello and thank you.

I am playing CIV2 Multiplayer Gold on my PC but the original Civ2 "vanilla" on my old 16-bit laptop.
I am not familiar with LUA, I frankly do not know what it is.
TOT is Test of Time, but TOTPP?

As for my imaginary tweaks, "no.2 impractical, no.3 only if Map Making has already been discovered".
OK, it makes perfect sense, can I do it?
What about no.1? Acquire tech of enemy/barbarian unit I corrupt?

Thank you :king:

Hello and thank you.

I am playing CIV2 Multiplayer Gold on my PC but the original Civ2 "vanilla" on my old 16-bit laptop.
I am not familiar with LUA, I frankly do not know what it is.
TOT is Test of Time, but TOTPP?

As for my imaginary tweaks, "no.2 impractical, no.3 only if Map Making has already been discovered".
OK, it makes perfect sense, can I do it?
What about no.1? Acquire tech of enemy/barbarian unit I corrupt?

Thank you :king:
Sorry, for some reason I thought you were playing Test of Time.

TOTPP is the Test of Time Patch Project, which provides a lot of fixes for Test of Time. (TOT installation instructions) An important one for this discussion is the ability to inject code written in the Lua programming language at certain points of the game.

Unfortunately, due to forum rules, I can't link to a copy of Test of Time. You'll have to look for it yourself, but there is a .iso file out there for Test of Time. There is at least one "org"anization on the internet that "archive"s notable stuff. (For what its worth duck duck go gave the site I'm thinking of higher priority than google, at least for my search term.)

I did implement getting the tech required to build a unit type after you bribe a unit of that type, or receive a mercenary. I also implemented the 2 settler start you mentioned in another post.

Top Bottom