New Middle East map

much2much

Warlord
I just downloaded 1.96 today and decided to try this map. First game I started as Minos who have a city on a two tile island and the other tile is a plains tile. There are NO EARLY RESOURCES in the fat cross though. Even with Agriculture and Animal Husbandry nothing showed up. I settled a second city in the north west corner of the map, which has fruit. Then I tryed to take Mycenae which I narrowly missed out on and gave up. Then I tried the map again this time with the Sarmations. I was able to do very well (this is on Prince) and was narrowly the score leader at 90 turns to the finish on Epic.

The problems I had were that when I conquered a whole bunch of other civs they were useless. Hammurabi was score leader for a while and then I went and took Babylon and its surrounds were COMPLETELY UNDEVELOPED?! WTF is this? I ended up taking Mycenae and it was population 2. This was in 331 AD! A whole bunch of other civs were also useless like this too. It appears to me that the Civ AI can't handle not having a food resource in the cities radius. Mycenae for instance only has horse and I think the AI just keeps working this and not trying to grow.

If this is the normal map with really dense civs, (i.e. Medes and Persians start in sight of each other's capitals) yeah, it's a lot more densely packed than Civ is really designed for, I think, and there are several civilizations that are really unbalanced - some strong, some weak. If I recall correctly, the mapmaker said he liked diplomatic games; it's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's a really successful scenario.

Top Bottom